User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Feb 2005, 00:15   #51
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future
Re: Top 5 most ugly languages

Cocks can't talk
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 00:39   #52
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perle
The verb aimer means "to love"

I forgot how "to like " is translated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
noo...
J'aime means I like.
J'adore means I love.

in spanish you'd say te chiero instead of te amo
despite it meaning I want you rather than I love you
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 01:09   #53
Perle

Perle is infamous around these partsPerle is infamous around these partsPerle is infamous around these parts

ok ok, i was wrong, stop poking my face into it

doest adorer mean "to adore"

Mankind is ready to enter the solar system
George W. Bush, in his speech about his space program
Perle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 01:14   #54
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Arabic spoken of a high standard is good.

Arabic spoken on the streets is not too great... especially the ones from Morocco, Algeria etc.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 02:49   #55
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

We've had accent threads before so I'll keep it to languages:

1. German
2. Spanish
3. Dutch
4. Polish
5. Russian

Ones I quite like are French and Greek.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 02:51   #56
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Considering nobody here really knows what on earth they're talking about, I had to laugh.
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 03:24   #57
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
1. VHDL
2. shell script
3. C
4. COBOL
5. XML
I agree with Banned on this one, C is lovely, C++ is not.... infact generally I find any OO language ugly. I'd also add Java to the list and remove XML because I find XML quite logical.
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 03:34   #58
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
I agree with Banned on this one, C is lovely, C++ is not.... infact generally I find any OO language ugly. I'd also add Java to the list and remove XML because I find XML quite logical.
Something being logical doesn't prevent it from being ugly.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 03:38   #59
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Something being logical doesn't prevent it from being ugly.
Depends on your point of view, to me logic is a beautiful thing
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 05:28   #60
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Offical liker of the German language.
T&F likes German women as well.

You are not alone, I am here with you... [/Michael Jackson]
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 05:52   #61
Summanus
Banned

Summanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really nice

I like German. I find it a lot more emotive than English (probably not the accents, but the language itself).

Probably some Eastern European ones make my list. Croatian particularly, though I believe Magyar (Hungarian) is pretty bad as well. Then Hindi, Korean, and finally, Kiwi.
Summanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 11:36   #62
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
i though aime was like, or is everything you learn in schools these days utter bullshit?

Actually, you're wrong.

Aimer is To Like

Adore is to love

But in the context of "I love you", you use the term "Je t'aime". It's just a weird thing the french have - I've never bothered to find out why it's that. I think it might be something to do with "adore" only being used for physical objects or places, but not people.
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 11:37   #63
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
in spanish you'd say te chiero instead of te amo
My Spanish is a bit rusty, but I thought "I want you" would be translated as "Te Quiero" ?
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 12:04   #64
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
My Spanish is a bit rusty, but I thought "I want you" would be translated as "Te Quiero" ?
yes, i just never learnt spanish so i spelt it phonetically (in my head). quiero chiero whatever.
Te quiero is used as I love you but in a kind of way that you'd say it to a girl you like in a club.
Te amo is the one you'd say to your wife etc...
As far as my ex-girlfriend told me anyway

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 12:15   #65
Perle

Perle is infamous around these partsPerle is infamous around these partsPerle is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
the verb 'aimer' is 'to love'

je t'aime = i love you
j'aime le chocolat = i love chocolat

'to like' = 'plaire'

so you would say 'le chocolat me plait' for 'i like chocolat', which is rather long and cumbersome. In practice people dont use 'i like', but 'i love', which means the meaning of the word love loses some meaning (lol).
'adorer' = 'to adore'

je t'adore = i adore you

any more questions?

[edit for spanish]
te quiero = i want you
te amo = i love you

whether people use one or the other it does not matter, as it obviously differs on the region and culture. Go to Peru and you shall see that the usage of the words differ, but the meaning, if tracked down to their roots, is the same.

yes that was the verb i was looking for PLAIR

maybe i wasnt wrong after all.

Mankind is ready to enter the solar system
George W. Bush, in his speech about his space program
Perle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 12:19   #66
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

je t'aime = i love you
j'aime le chocolat = i love chocolat

'to like' = 'plaire'

so you would say 'le chocolat me plait' for 'i like chocolat', which is rather long and cumbersome. In practice people dont use 'i like', but 'i love', which means the meaning of the word love loses some meaning (lol).
'adorer' = 'to adore'

je t'adore = i adore you
Ok having just spoken to my fluent French speaking housemate.
aimer is to like. But can be used for love depending on what other words you put in the sentence.
plaire is to please: 'le chocolat me plait' means 'chocolate pleases me.'
adorer is used in the kind of love for your pet for example.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 12:24   #67
Tomkat

Quote:
I think this is where our language differences are overlapping. I was always taught that aimer was "to like" in school. Your native language isn't English though, so I guess somewhere along the line the word for like isn't the same in your language as English and French.

EG: Aimerais is "I would like", not "I would love".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
yes, i just never learnt spanish so i spelt it phonetically (in my head). quiero chiero whatever.
Te quiero is used as I love you but in a kind of way that you'd say it to a girl you like in a club.
Te amo is the one you'd say to your wife etc...
As far as my ex-girlfriend told me anyway
Ahh right. Yeah, that's what I thought too.
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 12:31   #68
Tomkat

Quote:
you are using the verb to express 'like' or dislike for a thing, an action, and not a person
Ahhhh. I see now. So you can use "aime" to say like, if you're talking about an object or place - as long as it's not a person? That's where plaire is used (as in "Oh I like her, she's great").

Is that right?

My French isn't that advanced, I guess we were taught to use aimer as a blanket term for "to like" so as not to confuse us.
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 12:41   #69
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i don't like all those south european languages.
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 12:48   #70
Tomkat

Quote:
first sms my ex-gf sent me the day after she met me was "tu sais que tu me plaits trop?"

= "are you aware you please me a lot" (literally)
= "are you aware i like you a lot" (more like this)
I was taught "tu sais" means "you know", not "you are aware"...

I think it's just the formation of the language actually here. There's never an exact translation. Say I translated a phrase in English to French, then from French to Spanish, then from Spanish to German, then from German back to English, it wouldn't be the same phrase we started with.
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 12:49   #71
Ste
Bored

Quote:
I was taught "tu sais" means "you know", not "you are aware"...

I think it's just the formation of the language actually here. There's never an exact translation. Say I translated a phrase in English to French, then from French to Spanish, then from Spanish to German, then from German back to English, it wouldn't be the same phrase we started with.
hence the problem with the bible.

Unread 26 Feb 2005, 12:52   #72
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
does that include portuguese and spanish?

please note that brazilian is portuguese with a different accent.
yes, and french and italian. im not sure if that makes them ugly, i just don't like their whole style.
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 13:04   #73
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
Depends on your point of view, to me logic is a beautiful thing
I hold up truth tables as evidence of the opposite.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 16:30   #74
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

1) German
2) arabic
3) any of the scandanavian languages
4) spanish
5) because overweight dwarfs getting emotional are funny and even though it isn't a language as such, scottish english.
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 17:12   #75
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Scots is actually a language *shurg*
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 20:02   #76
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

ebonics

cant ****ing stand it

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 21:12   #77
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

1. German
2-5. " "
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 21:26   #78
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Actually, you're wrong.

Aimer is To Like

Adore is to love

But in the context of "I love you", you use the term "Je t'aime". It's just a weird thing the french have - I've never bothered to find out why it's that. I think it might be something to do with "adore" only being used for physical objects or places, but not people.

so everything you learn is bullshit then....

like: j'aime le chat is i like cats... or so i thought.... apparently its now i love cats
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 21:36   #79
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

BeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the rough

1. German
2. Prolog
3. Welsh (gaelic [sp?])
4. French
5. American 'English'
R4: Seal left to ReCon then TRT (ReBorn)
R5-8: Don't remember exact order, but, ReBorn, Silver, Legends
R9: Didn't Play
R9.5-11: FAnG Defence Genius & later HC
R12: LCH Defence Genius
R13 and beyond: Angels Genius
BeeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2005, 01:00   #80
Ste
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
so everything you learn is bullshit then....

like: j'aime le chat is i like cats... or so i thought.... apparently its now i love cats
you didn't read it properly did you.
unless you think cats are people.

Unread 27 Feb 2005, 01:04   #81
Cannon_Fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
you didn't read it properly did you.
unless you think cats are people.
no

*sniff*

ill crawl back to my hole now

*sniff*