User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Nov 2004, 23:52   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Who here can play chess?

I've searched online but can't really win. I know the basic moves etc. and do the typical 2 pawns 2 rooks opening but always end up losing - I need help

Thanks
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 00:17   #2
Burbank
Banned

Burbank is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who here can play chess?

i can, i play chess with my dad every night. what do you want a hand with
Burbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 00:25   #3
Burbank
Banned

why dont you try moving the pawn in front of the king, this allows the queen and bishop access to the board

my usual opener
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 00:27   #4
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

you move the two centre pawns forward then the two knights (what i usually do)
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 01:05   #5
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Study some classic openings (past the first few moves)
think more than one move ahead. consider how your opponent will move.
Always be prepared to sacrifice pieces. It doesn't matter if they are taken. getting both queens off the board is sometimes an advantage. Pawns are there to be taken.
remember the basic points system: pawn 1, bishop/knight 3, rook 5, queen 10.
Try and give your king a way out if possible - castling gets it out of the open but move the rooks pawn to give it an escape route if necessary.
Lure your opponent into traps.
Concentrate on every move - if your opponent has moved somewhere unexpectantly - ask yourself why. Make sure every move you make doesn't have an unforeseen consequence.

And of course - practice.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 01:14   #6
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
queen 10.
Isn't the Queen worth 9?
It's been a while, I used to be really good a chess (still am, just don't really compeat)
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 01:18   #7
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Who here can play chess?

I like prawns. And knights as well, come to that. And queens.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 01:20   #8
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I believe I can play chess pretty well, I also master some basic openings like Ruiz-Lopez and Sicilian and stuff.

Still I lose a lot because I make really funny stupid mistakes during a good game.
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 01:38   #9
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Good hint

'buy' Chessmaster 9000 or 10k, they have a really great analyzing system, telling you exactly what you did wrong in your games and what you could have done if you where more thoughtful. Really really good stuff, with lots of basic information, openings etc.
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 01:54   #10
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
remember the basic points system: pawn 1, bishop/knight 3, rook 5, queen 10.

Sometimes giving away a bishop (for example) without exchange of any other piece from the oponent can give you a huge positional advantage. There are several little strategies called gambits in which you give away pawns to create a rather big positional advantage.

Never underestimate boardposition.
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 01:56   #11
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Play 9000 sometimes, its very good for improving rapidly.

No matter how great you are some of the AI players will destroy you.

EDIT: Or if you're like me, MOST of the AI players will destroy you.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 03:13   #12
Androme
☆ ♥ 

thanks Ste but I pretty much know all that - I was taught as a kid by my grand-dad since he was once a Polish national champion etc. and he always said attack from the center, don't check unnecessarily, never leave the pawns line unstructured, never waste moves, get more organised early on etc.

SilverSmoke - perhaps I'll invest in that - thanks + wtf are Gambits?! I looked up Google and got a whole host of diagrams and move sets but don't really understand them

Thanks all
----------retired-------
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 04:12   #13
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

I'll give you an example of a gambit, I think it's called the King's Gambit:

You move your King's Pawn 2 steps forward, as white. Black oftenly does the opposite. After you move the pawn in front of your Kings bishop 2 steps upfront. Now black can freely strike your pawn with his king's pawn. Which give him a lead of 1 piece without losing anything. Except for the fact that his king is now quite vurnerable. That's a gambit. Offering a pawn to get a positionary advantage.
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 04:19   #14
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

and btw, what the hell do you mean with a '2 pawn, two rook opening' ?

You use your rooks, in your opening?

a rather useful site to learn some basic openings/strategies etc
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 10:35   #15
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Good pawn structure, get your knights out early; dominate the the middle ground; castle early! Thats what I say...

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 10:38   #16
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Five minute chess is good to. Insane!

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 12:02   #17
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
and btw, what the hell do you mean with a '2 pawn, two rook opening' ?

You use your rooks, in your opening?

I think he meant '2 pawns 2 knights opening' as thats what most people do once they've picked up the basics.

Unread 13 Nov 2004, 12:04   #18
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
Five minute chess is good to. Insane!
Speed chess is crazy but infinately more fun as it doesn't inolve several hours/days to finish a game.

Unread 13 Nov 2004, 12:09   #19
Burbank
Banned

ever tried playing suicide chess, where the object is to force your own king into check before the others, and you HAVE to take a peice if you can
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 12:13   #20
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbank
ever tried playing suicide chess, where the object is to force your own king into check before the others, and you HAVE to take a peice if you can
Yea, used to play that in college during one of our extremely pointless 5 minute breaks. There's a whole lot of tactics involved which surprises many people.

Unread 13 Nov 2004, 14:47   #21
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Play go
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 15:24   #22
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

no

play chess
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 15:44   #23
Burbank
Banned

yeah, its the hardest type of chess i had ever played
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 15:57   #24
Androme
☆ ♥ 

I meant 2 Knights - sorry my bad on the rooks - hehe

I've played Speed Chess and Suicide Chess and I dislike both
----------retired-------
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 16:26   #25
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

i can play chess, and i bet i could beat ANYONE here. 5 bucks USD.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 16:30   #26
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Got a rating Qdeathstar?
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 16:32   #27
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

definatley

Unread 13 Nov 2004, 16:36   #28
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

I feel challenged, although I don't have the time for now to play. Tonight I'll be pimping the clubs and bars.
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 17:34   #29
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

anyone here who wants to play against me on yahoo?
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 17:38   #30
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Koen

I will, a quickie then as i am in a hurry and busy.

Tell me which room you are.
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 17:39   #31
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

naah not now, bit later.
cooking food atm, just came back from coaching the girls
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 17:40   #32
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Oh well, another time then as I'll be getting drunk in some hours.
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 18:14   #33
Androme
☆ ♥ 

If anyone wants to play me on Jiippii let me know - for some Yahoo just doesn't want to load the chess for my whatever browser I use
----------retired-------
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 18:39   #34
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Who here can play chess?

Quote:
I will, a quickie then as i am in a hurry and busy.

Tell me which room you are.
I don't know how to comment on this.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 18:39   #35
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

I just knew it.
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 01:22   #36
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I feel challenged
QDS is one step ahead of you here as he actually is challenged
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 02:39   #37
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

why dont you let me beat the crap out of you (in chess) JonnyBGood?

Unread 14 Nov 2004, 02:41   #38
Summanus
Banned

Summanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
why dont you let me beat the crap out of you (in chess) JonnyBGood?
Actually saying that you "will beat the crap out of someone in chess" shows that you will automatically fail, as your mindset is not the mindset of a good player.

It's the mindset of a little brat who knocks over the board when they lose
Summanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 02:44   #39
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

no no no, i know, i just wanted to play him is all, relax, expert of chess. GAWD.

Unread 14 Nov 2004, 05:51   #40
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

well, then i see Jonny is too afraid.

Muhahahhhaha..

QD WINS!

Unread 14 Nov 2004, 09:35   #41
Summanus
Banned

Summanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
well, then i see Jonny is too afraid.

Muhahahhhaha..

QD WINS!
"The Retard World Cup"
Summanus is offline   Reply With Quote