User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Mar 2003, 09:27   #1
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
TV coverage of the Gulf War II

As war is looming, i was wondering what level of TV coverage we'll likely to see.
Will it be another 1991 Gulf war TV fest, or some crappy Kosovo afair?

I'm sure the americans will love to show lots of smart bombs exploding over Iraqi targets.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 09:29   #2
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
ive got a week off work coming up so i can watch it all on bbc news 24 \o/

but lets be honest, nothing's going to top september 11th 2001, so im only going to be disappointed :/
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 09:36   #3
Xillah

Xillah is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TV coverage of the Gulf War II

Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
As war is looming, i was wondering what level of TV coverage we'll likely to see.
Will it be another 1991 Gulf war TV fest.
I hope not, even at 8 i knew they were saying to much, I remember some guy on a brekfast show saying *exactly* how one attack was going to go (with scale models included). What if saddam had a satelite dish?
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 09:38   #4
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by the_dastardley_chihuahua
ive got a week off work coming up so i can watch it all on bbc news 24 \o/

but lets be honest, nothing's going to top september 11th 2001, so im only going to be disappointed :/
I don't know...isreal has nukes and an itchy trigger finger
Could an interesting idea....
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 10:55   #5
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
I have heard that Sky has bought the rights to coverage and it will be aired only on Pay per view with ITV and BBC showing the daily highlights.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 11:02   #6
Mistar Bataur

If this war is sold on ViaSat ticket, I will go to great lengths for obtaining one.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 12:03   #7
Jammers

Jammers has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I'm mainly going to watch the War on ITV, since they have John Nichol commentating (he was a pilot who got shot down in GW1)
But having said that, the BBC will probably have that old guy who used to be on Tommorows World doing a load of snazzy computer wizardry.
CNN will be a good bet for some Yanqui propoganda, as will Fox News.
Then you've got Channel 4, who are knocking off that Big Breakfast replacement for morning war coverage. Just the thing to watch in bed.
For the bus, I'll most likely be taking my radio so I can listen to Radio 5Live.

I just hope it doesn't clash with anything, the last thing I want is to choose between 24 Series Finalé, and The Battle For Baghdad.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 13:16   #8
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm opting for BBC war coverage.
The BBC will have Newsnight with the magic combo of Jeremy Paxman and Peter Snow.
You'll have Peter Snow with some sort of war Swingometer, and Jeremy Paxman the master interviewer.

Just like their coverage of the World Cup, i think BBC will wipe the floor with ITV.
A good war will be another ratings winner for the beeb.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 15:29   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by the_dastardley_chihuahua
Yeh, Sept 11th was rather "spectacular" with all the planes and explosions and all. And the flashes and bright colors.

I think this war will only get as good as sept 11th if there are mushroom clouds or if the Iraqies give the Americans a good beating (resulting in a big cloud).
But, I don't think any of this will happen, so this whole thing will prolly pass without me even noticing it's there.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 15:33   #10
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
Ill be honest with all of you, ive become a sick fcker and im planning to stay in with all meh news channels (sky/cnn/bbc/itv/cnbc/bloomberg/ch4/ch5) and see the death and destruction LIVE AND DIRECT. With super close slo mos of chemical attack victims suffocating.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 15:59   #11
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
I hear the special effects will rival The Matrix.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 23:15   #12
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future
It's getting round-the-clock media coverage now, and the damn thing hasn't even started yet. The coverage will be massive.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote