User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 15 Sep 2005, 23:00   #1
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
mp3 players, digital cameras and mobile phones

First; I have a Simens C62 without camera/mp3 player, who works well.

However, I want both a digital camera and a mp3 player.
It's a few months til christmas...

So Im thinking; Should I just wait and get a phone with both camera and mp3 player? Then there is the problem with the quality of the camera (relative to standalones) and the storage (512mb it seems is the max these days).

So if I want the real stuff, it seems I must go for both a digital camera and a mp3 player.
Is there anyone who can recommend anything? It has to be reasonably cheap, and the mp3 player has to have atleast more than 1gb, preferbly 4gb or more.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 23:06   #2
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: mp3 players, digital cameras and mobile phones

digital camera on phones is somewhat in its 'pretty crap stage' currently.
the picture quality between my 7.2 megapixel digital cam and my 1.3 megapixel nokia is er...noticeable to say the least.

however phone mp3 players seem to be okily dokily esp if they support sd cards or flash media. you could then just buy a 1 gig sdcard and use that with all your music on it or whatnot.

app its causing a surge in nokia sales atm (having mp3 capabilities)

id try and keep the camera seperate tho if you care anything about the image quality
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 23:12   #3
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
the picture quality between my 7.2 megapixel digital cam and my 1.3 megapixel nokia is er...noticeable to say the least.
please don't mention quality and megapixels in the same sentance ever again.

please.
they aren't related. More megapixels does not automatically equal better pictures.

the number of pixels an image is made of affects its resolution, which creates a finer picture, but the actual 'picture quality' as you put it, is mostly down to better lense and focusing elements, plus larger ccd/cmos sensors in the dedicated camera.

There simply isn't space for better components in phones mostly, regardless of the megapixel rating.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 23:17   #4
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

If you're not fussy, buy the Sony Ericsson w800i. Expand it up to 2Gb memory.

If you are fussy, buy an iPod Mini and a Sony P200 digital camera (7.2 mega-pixel)

Sorted.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 23:37   #5
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

The w800i is nice, but costs around 300£, without the 2gb memory card.

The Sony camera costs about 250£, I was looking at something a bit cheaper (thats also without memory cards). For the mp3 player, seems Apple will get the new player called Nano out in shops before xmas.. It seems very nice indeed, so slim and light!
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 23:38   #6
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
The w800i is nice, but costs around 300£, without the 2gb memory card.

The Sony camera costs about 250£, I was looking at something a bit cheaper (thats also without memory cards). For the mp3 player, seems Apple will get the new player called Nano out in shops before xmas.. It seems very nice indeed, so slim and light!
it's made by apple, it must be a good piece of kit!
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 23:40   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The main issue that's stopped me getting a "convergance" device has been battery life. My Creative Zen Touch get's about 20 hours battery life from one charge. I remain dubious on the battery life of a phone-cum-MP3 player.

The Apple Nano does look quite cute, I will check it out when I have some money (as a gift for someone else).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 00:00   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Phones dont have cameras in them. Seriously, anything less than 3MP cant be seriously called a 'camera' if you want to use it for anything more than taking drunk pictures of your friends in the pub.

As an MP3 player, I dunno. If you want to get it to a decent capacity (10gb+) I imagine you'll be paying a fair bit and it would probably cost around the same as buying a used 15-20gb ipod/iriver from ebay.

I suppose it depends on how much you value pocket space.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 11:10   #9
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Phones dont have cameras in them. Seriously, anything less than 3MP cant be seriously called a 'camera' if you want to use it for anything more than taking drunk pictures of your friends in the pub.
You are as bad as Jammyjim.

stop describing picture quality in terms of megapixels you uneducated loon.
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 11:28   #10
Mooseh
ROFFLE

Mooseh can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
For the mp3 player, seems Apple will get the new player called Nano out in shops before xmas.. It seems very nice indeed, so slim and light!
Unless I'm mistaken the Apple Nano is out already, there was certainly a review of it on some website (The Reg maybe). It's dirt cheap too, £130 for the 2gb version and tbh, unless you want to store ALL your mp3s on it, 2gb is plenty to listen to for a week or two of intermittant use. The sony CyberShot DSC-T7 is a fantastic little camera provided you aren't trying to do anything too professional or vary exposure times etc, fits almost unnoticably into your pocket too, it is £250 though, there's also the DSC-T33 that's a bit less, about £200 iirc.

EDIT: Yup, it was The Reg here is the review I was talking about.

Last edited by Mooseh; 16 Sep 2005 at 11:34.
Mooseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 11:59   #11
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

After reading the title and seeing the poster i was expecting this thread to go somewhere along the lines of;

mp3 players, digital cameras and mobile phones

"are tools of the capitalist pigs"

needless to say i was disapointed
________
Redhead live

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 07:07.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 12:24   #12
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Posting in this thread to rant about evil apple and their mainstream attention for being cool and slim and hot and because i am too cool to follow cool because i am a well conscient teenager knowing the demons of society and because it's cool to rage against cool and hip because that will make you even more hipper, or just because i am angry, hell i don't know, **** who cares, before the anti apple gang joins in.

oh wait

Last edited by SilverSmoke; 16 Sep 2005 at 12:37.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 12:34   #13
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My mate just picked up a Panasonic DMC-FX9K which is the most delicious camera I've seen in a while. 6 megapixel, a very effective image stabiliser, superb screen on the back, fast enough to record near full-motion VGA video and the picture quality's excellent. Available eBay style for about £200-230.

I must own one =(
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 18:20   #14
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I remain dubious on the battery life of a phone-cum-MP3 player.
The w800i lasts a day and a half. I charge my phone(s) every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Or 'Happy Slaps'
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 22:53   #15
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
You are as bad as Jammyjim.

stop describing picture quality in terms of megapixels you uneducated loon.
Anything under 3MP would suck regardless of other technologies. Sure, you might get a 5MP camera which is better than a 7MP camera, but you won't find a 2MP camera that is better than a 7MP camera.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 23:20   #16
cubass2
Still ace

cubass2 is a splendid one to beholdcubass2 is a splendid one to beholdcubass2 is a splendid one to beholdcubass2 is a splendid one to beholdcubass2 is a splendid one to beholdcubass2 is a splendid one to beholdcubass2 is a splendid one to behold

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...19#post2933919

The camera is crap by the way (1.3mp)
cubass2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 23:39   #17
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
Anything under 3MP would suck regardless of other technologies. Sure, you might get a 5MP camera which is better than a 7MP camera, but you won't find a 2MP camera that is better than a 7MP camera.
Do go away and learn what your talking about, please.

Megapixel ratings have nothing to do with image quality.
They never have and they never will.
It's like saying if you up the resolution of your monitor it makes everything look better.

I can take 12 megapixel images if i wanted to but so ****ing what they take up twice the space and arent a noticeably better picture.
I can take 1 megapixel images with a proper camera and they are fine. The megapixel rating has NO EFFECT ON THE QUALITY OF THE PICTURE.
I can take 1.3 megapixel photos with my phone and they are shit. It wouldn't matter if my phone was 15MP , the image is shit because of a lack of space for proper optics and proper sized CCD/CMOS sensor(s).
I can take a 0.25MP photo with my camera and it's still a better picture than the ones my phone takes. My phone was made in 2005, that camera i've had since 2001.

Please, for me, stop being obsessed with megapixels, they really don't mean as much as the retailers would love you to think when it comes to cameras.
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 23:58   #18
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Please, for me, stop being obsessed with megapixels, they really don't mean as much as the retailers would love you to think when it comes to cameras.
Nobody was 'being obsessed' with megapixels.

If you are trying to claim that your 1.3MP camera in your phone has the same quality as a 2MP camera in a phone though, you are insane.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2005, 00:33   #19
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
If you are trying to claim that your 1.3MP camera in your phone has the same quality as a 2MP camera in a phone though, you are insane.
He's right you know...
Unread 17 Sep 2005, 02:07   #20
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
Nobody was 'being obsessed' with megapixels.

This is true when you are comparing phones with phones. But to speak of picture quality on a mobile phone camera is absurd.

But when you are talking Digital Cameras, the Megapixel rating is just one of a whole host of factors to take into account.

Retailers like Megapixel ratings. Consumers are by in large utter morons. Digital Camera's are complex devices. It is easier to explain to them that 5 = better than 3.

The Megapixel rating is not entirely worthless, but it is only one of a myriad of things you should take into account.

If you are lazy but still want to get a semi decent review of a digital camera, you can't go far wrong with http://www.dpreview.com
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2005, 12:24   #21
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Do go away and learn what your talking about, please.

I was going to say that, but NB3 beat me to it

I think it's because megapixels are the only "standard" that is stated in terms of the camera, when buying mobile phones. They don't mention anything else. So the consumer market goes into "bigger = better!!!" mode and assumes it's ace to have as many as possible.

If you aren't going to use your phone for much more than taking pictures of your friends, and aren't that fussed really about picture quality, go for the phone. If you want to use it as you would an analogue camera, then buy a separate digital camera.

I've recently invested in a phone, and also a camera. It's not very advanced, but it'll be better than the phone, which as Nodrog said, I will probably just end up using to take drunk pictures of my mates in the pub. At least with the camera I get a bit more flexibility with certain options such as the exposure, aperture time, timer, focus and zoom.