User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Jul 2005, 20:35   #1
Viceroy
Toon Forever

Viceroy has a spectacular aura aboutViceroy has a spectacular aura aboutViceroy has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Cricket, Aussies or Poms ????

I'm a massive England fan and would love to see us bring the ashes back off those arrogant australians, but i must say the last few one day matchs are beggining to show a worrying trend...
they keep on improving and we are not

does anyone think we have a hope or are the ashes going for another suntan down under ???
Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 20:41   #2
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Cricket, Aussies or Poms ????

it's not even a sport
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 20:50   #3
Viceroy
Toon Forever

Viceroy has a spectacular aura aboutViceroy has a spectacular aura aboutViceroy has a spectacular aura about

How'd you figure that??? teams competing, 1 winner = Sport

===Legend===

"One minute I'm waiting for Kate to arrive to join me in the Jacuzzi for a romantic evening. The next thing I can remember is doing cold turkey in a vomit-filled cell"
- Pete Doherty
<<<Not Legend>>>
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 20:54   #4
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy
How'd you figure that??? teams competing, 1 winner = Sport
you didn't think this definition through did you

I hear alliance discussion is a great board!! why not go there? or roleplay ...
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 20:55   #5
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

We are crap at ODIs, look at the recent series with SA, WI and NZ. We win the tests quite comfortably and lose the one day games. I think we just prefer being able to go at whatever pace we feel like at the time without having to worry about upping the run rate, no pressure if a few maidens are bowled(like McGraths 4 today).

I'm not sure if we will win but I think it will be quite close, maybe a 2-2 tie. A lot will depend on the opening partnerships batting and bowling though.
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 21:09   #6
Viceroy
Toon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
you didn't think this definition through did you

I hear alliance discussion is a great board!! why not go there? or roleplay ...
Yep nice contribution, you've really shown your pedantic self
I was replying to a senseless comment before mine, so i didn't see the need in going into the technicalitys of how cricket is a sport.
Or do you want me too explain that too you???

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
We are crap at ODIs, look at the recent series with SA, WI and NZ. We win the tests quite comfortably and lose the one day games. I think we just prefer being able to go at whatever pace we feel like at the time without having to worry about upping the run rate, no pressure if a few maidens are bowled(like McGraths 4 today).

I'm not sure if we will win but I think it will be quite close, maybe a 2-2 tie. A lot will depend on the opening partnerships batting and bowling though.
I agree on that, i just hope our opening batsmen can pull it togeather.Other than a good innings from trescothick all the others really struggled. The bowlers just seem too have their gameplan sorted and with warne coming it could be even more trouble

===Legend===

"One minute I'm waiting for Kate to arrive to join me in the Jacuzzi for a romantic evening. The next thing I can remember is doing cold turkey in a vomit-filled cell"
- Pete Doherty
<<<Not Legend>>>
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 21:11   #7
themast
Punk

themast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these parts

Cricket = boring
Rd6&7 4D (20:8:6) & (20:2:10) Rd14 ND (2:5:4)
Rd8 Did not play Rd15 Did not play
Rd9 4D/SWaRM (13:4:10) Rd16 ND (14:1:6)
Rd9.5 SWaRM (42:7:4) Rd17 ND (13:10:8)
Rd10 SWaRM (21:4:7) Rd18 ND (13:6:8)
Rd10.5 SWaRM (5:5:10) Rd19 ND - HC (1:9:3)
Rd11 ND (32:2:10) Rd36 ND 7:9:7
Rd12 ND (30:10:1)
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 21:14   #8
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Yep nice contribution, you've really shown your pedantic self
I was replying to a senseless comment before mine, so i didn't see the need in going into the technicalitys of how cricket is a sport.
Or do you want me too explain that too you???
no i;d like you to **** off to another forum

sorry

was i too subtle before?
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 21:17   #9
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Unfortunately the Aussie bowlers seem to have found out how to get our openers out pretty easily while we havent managed to do the same. If this trend continues we will be in trouble in the tests as we need our openers to stay in and see off the new ball as well as getting the run rate ticking over.

Freddie doesnt seem to be at his magical best with the bat at the moment, i dont know whats gone wrong with him. His bowling is always extremely economical but Pieterson seems to have taken over the big hitting with Freddie doing very little with the bat. With Pieterson possibly out (even though he wasnt a definite for the tests) we need Freddie to start getting some decent scores if we are to have a decent middle order.

The 20-20s and early 1 day games were a very nice start for England and gave us some confidence but the Aussies seem to have picked there game up when it matters and they will be going into the first test on a roll. I'ld love to see England win but i think the Aussies have too much class and we have too many players that dont seem to be at their best right now.

Themast and Yahwe go and read a different thread rather than flaming/trolling in this one.
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 21:27   #10
Viceroy
Toon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
no i;d like you to **** off to another forum

sorry

was i too subtle before?
Oh no.... I better go then
People like you make me laugh, nobody is forcing you to read this thread, if you have a problem with me fine, YOU **** off and spread your bile else where, because some people do actually want to talk about cricket.
Thats all i'm going to say to you, so rant if you want but i'm afraid i'm staying

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Unfortunately the Aussie bowlers seem to have found out how to get our openers out pretty easily while we havent managed to do the same. If this trend continues we will be in trouble in the tests as we need our openers to stay in and see off the new ball as well as getting the run rate ticking over.

Freddie doesnt seem to be at his magical best with the bat at the moment, i dont know whats gone wrong with him. His bowling is always extremely economical but Pieterson seems to have taken over the big hitting with Freddie doing very little with the bat. With Pieterson possibly out (even though he wasnt a definite for the tests) we need Freddie to start getting some decent scores if we are to have a decent middle order.

The 20-20s and early 1 day games were a very nice start for England and gave us some confidence but the Aussies seem to have picked there game up when it matters and they will be going into the first test on a roll. I'ld love to see England win but i think the Aussies have too much class and we have too many players that dont seem to be at their best right now.

Themast and Yahwe go and read a different thread rather than flaming/trolling in this one.
Very true not too worried about our bowlers, only gough has struggled big time and he's not in the test squad and giles will improve as he has just returned from injury. The batsmen though are a big problem, if the openers go early it heaps pressure on the rest of the batsmen, and like you said pietersen looks like he is injured and he has carried the team since he started.
Alot depends on Flintoff if he can perform and if either strauss or trescothick get some form then we have a good platform.

===Legend===

- Pete Doherty
<<<Not Legend>>>

Last edited by Viceroy; 12 Jul 2005 at 22:04. Reason: make sure Yahwe know why he neg rep'd me :)
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 21:50   #11
themast
Punk

themast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

Its not flamming. Its my opinion
Rd6&7 4D (20:8:6) & (20:2:10) Rd14 ND (2:5:4)
Rd8 Did not play Rd15 Did not play
Rd9 4D/SWaRM (13:4:10) Rd16 ND (14:1:6)
Rd9.5 SWaRM (42:7:4) Rd17 ND (13:10:8)
Rd10 SWaRM (21:4:7) Rd18 ND (13:6:8)
Rd10.5 SWaRM (5:5:10) Rd19 ND - HC (1:9:3)
Rd11 ND (32:2:10) Rd36 ND 7:9:7
Rd12 ND (30:10:1)
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 21:59   #12
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Stop arguing, it's pointless, childish and if it continues, you'll force me to Moderate and no-one wants that, do we now?

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 23:35   #13
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Noone is above the rules Yahwe. not even you. so stop being a big homotwat and just leave the poor guy alone. Personally i think its boring and prefer other things but theres no need to be mean to the guy.

If you dont have anything valuble to contribute to the thread boys and girls. click 'back' on your browser.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2005, 23:38   #14
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embroglio
it's not even a sport
If men are better than women at it, it's sport.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 00:13   #15
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ashley Giles is not a world class spinner.
Andrew Flintoff will hit 20+ in about 2 or 3 overs then get caught going for too much, as usual.
Trescothick is the man, but as was pointed out to me originally here, and subsequently by one of my mates, he has a poor record against Australia.
Vaughan has been getting out too easily, too quickly, too often
Harmison isnt looking anything like the player he was a year ago
Theres uncertainty over whether Pietersen, Bell, or Thorpe is going to play
Geraint Jones has never convinced me, i couldnt believe it when he was Motm a few games ago
Hoggard, Simon Jones? Not Good enough

Cant even remember the rest. England will self destruct

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 00:17   #16
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyfe
If men are better than women at it, it's sport.
I look forward to the next National Bollock Adjusting Championship.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 00:25   #17
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Andrew Flintoff will hit 20+ in about 2 or 3 overs then get caught going for too much, as usual.
Trescothick is the man, but as was pointed out to me originally here, and subsequently by one of my mates, he has a poor record against Australia.
Geraint Jones has never convinced me, i couldnt believe it when he was Motm a few games ago

Can you put money on it so that England win please?
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 05:19   #18
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

mmm..mmm..mmm...another one bites the dust!

strike one for the Aussies! \o/ -o/ -o- /o\ \o/
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 11:08   #19
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

I like how when England won the early matches they were "just one day matches" and now Australia have won one day matches they are masterful.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 11:23   #20
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
Can you put money on it so that England win please?
You are entirely correct that if i put money on Australia, england would win. Theyd fluke the first test, then the next 4 would be rained off.

Odds are too crap though

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 11:55   #21
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Aussies. I predict that England will have a "famous batting collapse" or "perform below par on the day" or "be performing their best, but Australia just outdid them" all of which are synonyms for "England is shit at cricket, why not just pack it in and play a decent game in summer instead, rather than force all the lads to wear LONG TROUSERS AND WHITE ****ING WOOLY JUMPERS IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER"

sorry, I don't like cricket, but the Aussies will win, because England is crap.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 11:59   #22
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
Aussies. I predict that England will have a "famous batting collapse" or "perform below par on the day" or "be performing their best, but Australia just outdid them" all of which are synonyms for "England is shit at cricket, why not just pack it in and play a decent game in summer instead, rather than force all the lads to wear LONG TROUSERS AND WHITE ****ING WOOLY JUMPERS IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER"

sorry, I don't like cricket, but the Aussies will win, because England is crap.
Shows how much you know as England are currently the 2nd best Test playing nation doesn't it.
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 12:01   #23
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
Shows how much you know as England are currently the 2nd best Test playing nation doesn't it.
absolutely, I know nothing about the current state of cricket. being in a foreign coutnry where the reply is "what is cricket?" does this to me. I suppose the above was based on my knowledge what, four years ago when I was in the UK.

I just hate what they did to me at school and have vowed irrational revenge.

the bastards.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 12:45   #24
Viceroy
Toon Forever

Quote:

I agree with you about vaughan, he has been terrible recently and wouldn't be in the team if he wasn't captain. Ignoring yesterdays farce i think harmison has been improving since his terrible winter tour, and flintoff will improve as he plays more games ( remember he was crocked until just before the test against Bangladesh). I think hoggard and jones do ok , but strauss and trescothick do really need too up their game because mcgrath and co will destroy them.
On the plus side apparantly Pietersen isn't too badly injured and should be fit if selected (and i think they would be mental to pick thorpe instead of him !!)

===Legend===

- Pete Doherty
<<<Not Legend>>>
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 13:01   #25
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Pietersen isn't too badly injured and should be fit if selected (and i think they would be mental to pick thorpe instead of him !!)
Why? Thorpe has probably been our best player against Australia over the years and is by far the best player of spin. I know if i was Australia, and a couple of Aussies i play with agree, i'd rather be playing against Pietersen than Thorpe. Pietersen has a tendency to get himself out, whereas you know that Thorpe will grind away for everything. I reckon that Pietersen will play in the Tests, however the selectors will start with Thorpe, provided that he actually declares himself fit enough to play. Wouldn't surprise me if Ed Joyce made an appearance either.

Flintoff is one of our strike bowlers at the moment and relieves the pressure from Harmison, Hoggard and Simon Jones when they aren't firing on all cylinders.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 13:10   #26
Viceroy
Toon Forever

Quote:
Why? Thorpe has probably been our best player against Australia over the years and is by far the best player of spin. I know if i was Australia, and a couple of Aussies i play with agree, i'd rather be playing against Pietersen than Thorpe. Pietersen has a tendency to get himself out, whereas you know that Thorpe will grind away for everything. I reckon that Pietersen will play in the Tests, however the selectors will start with Thorpe, provided that he actually declares himself fit enough to play. Wouldn't surprise me if Ed Joyce made an appearance either.

Flintoff is one of our strike bowlers at the moment and relieves the pressure from Harmison, Hoggard and Simon Jones when they aren't firing on all cylinders.
Don't get me wrong, thorpe has been one of our best batsmen for a long time, I just think with all his injury problems and with the fact that he is retiring from internationals after the ashes it is time too give a young player a go. Evreyone doubted Pietersen before the winter tour and people doubted if he could stand the pressure of playing against the australians but he has proved the doubters wrong. I can't think of much more he can do, and I know if I was a selector I would have his name first on the list.

===Legend===

- Pete Doherty
<<<Not Legend>>>
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 13:25   #27
arbondigo

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, thorpe has been one of our best batsmen for a long time, I just think with all his injury problems and with the fact that he is retiring from internationals after the ashes it is time too give a young player a go. Evreyone doubted Pietersen before the winter tour and people doubted if he could stand the pressure of playing against the australians but he has proved the doubters wrong. I can't think of much more he can do, and I know if I was a selector I would have his name first on the list.
As has been said before, one day and test matches are two completely different games. By saying that he's proved his doubters wrong is false but i have no doubt that he'll get his chance to prove them wrong over the course of the Test series. Pietersen's style of play is more suited to the short matches and is often let down in the longer version by his temperament.

The County Championship stats would side with Pietersen, but Thorpe was playing against Bangladesh and missed 2 or 3 games. He got a 60 and a 40 not out against Bangladesh, had a reasonable tour of South Africa over the winter and has done the business against Australia in the past.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 13:55   #28
Viceroy
Toon Forever

Quote:
As has been said before, one day and test matches are two completely different games. By saying that he's proved his doubters wrong is false but i have no doubt that he'll get his chance to prove them wrong over the course of the Test series. Pietersen's style of play is more suited to the short matches and is often let down in the longer version by his temperament.

The County Championship stats would side with Pietersen, but Thorpe was playing against Bangladesh and missed 2 or 3 games. He got a 60 and a 40 not out against Bangladesh, had a reasonable tour of South Africa over the winter and has done the business against Australia in the past.
100% agree with you that test matches are miles apart from ODI's, but i believe Pietersen's temperament is good enough for him to cope with the ashes. Most of his inning's this series he has come in with England in trouble so has been forced to chase the game, which has resulted in him getting himself out, but against australia half the match is mindgames. He has shown that he will not get overawed and I don't think the aussies know how to play him. His innings in the match at the oval yesterday showed that he can play at a slower pace, and it was only in the last 10 overs that he started slogging it. I just believe that he should be thrown in straight away, he is on top form and with thorpe retiring he will get a game eventually, so why not now??

===Legend===

- Pete Doherty
<<<Not Legend>>>
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 14:20   #29
arbondigo

Quote:
100% agree with you that test matches are miles apart from ODI's, but i believe Pietersen's temperament is good enough for him to cope with the ashes. Most of his inning's this series he has come in with England in trouble so has been forced to chase the game, which has resulted in him getting himself out, but against australia half the match is mindgames. He has shown that he will not get overawed and I don't think the aussies know how to play him. His innings in the match at the oval yesterday showed that he can play at a slower pace, and it was only in the last 10 overs that he started slogging it. I just believe that he should be thrown in straight away, he is on top form and with thorpe retiring he will get a game eventually, so why not now??
But he has only shown his temperament in the one dayers. You only have to look at someone like Collingwood and then compare his one day and test match records to see the difference. He scored one of the best 100s you're likely to see but that doesn't necessarily make him a test match standard player. Yes Thorpe is retiring, but why would you drop someone for that reason when you'd weaken the side? It's not a series against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. In my opinion, Thorpe will be given a couple of tests and if he hasn't produced the goods then and Pietersen is scoring heavily domestically then we will see a change. The pressure will also be on Ian Bell to a lesser extent as this is his first real test.

Last edited by arbondigo; 13 Jul 2005 at 14:30.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 14:31   #30
Viceroy
Toon Forever

Quote:
But he has only shown his temperament in the one dayers. You only have to look at someone like Collingwood and then compare his one day and test match records to see the difference. He scored one of the best 100s you'll likely to see but that doesn't necessarily make him a test match standard player. Yes Thorpe is retiring, but why would you drop someone for that reason when you'd weaken the side? It's not a series against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. In my opinion, Thorpe will be given a couple of tests and if he hasn't produced the goods then and Pietersen is scoring heavily domestically then we will see a change. The pressure will also be on Ian Bell to a lesser extent as this is his first real test.
Very true
Just in my opinion though I think he should be put in from the beggining because all that will happen if he is dropped is that he will lose confidence. I am not convinced that thorpe will be the same force after all his injury problems and I think a player like pietersen will have much more drive. I know Pietersen hasn't proved himself at test level all I meant was that he has shown he has the temperament to handle tough situations, and that is half the battle in test matches when you have long runs of the best bowlers constantly testing your technique for weakness
I agree that bell will be in the spot light too, I can't really understand the reasoning in not playing him in the ODI's when they pick a player like Solanki, who did very well, but for me bell could have done with getting used too facing these top bowlers

===Legend===

- Pete Doherty
<<<Not Legend>>>
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 14:33   #31
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Personally I would play Thorpe if he is fit, if he isnt fit then play pieterson, failing that go for rob key (who I rate highly or Ian Bell, all else fails we still have Solanki) Personally I think the key to our ashes victory will be Flintoff, his batting and bowling. Is it me or when pieterson is around Flintoff cant bat for shit, its a bit like when botham ran out boycott on purpose, I can envisage the same happening, Flintoff for some reason doesnt bat well with Pieterson, it just doesnt work as both play the same type of shots.

Thorpe is also proven in test cricket and gives the stability the side needs, if thorpe is shit, then bring in young blood, but dont do it the other way around.

Will we win it?

We can win it, but the aussies are reaching there peak and fk are they good. But I believe we will win it.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 14:43   #32
arbondigo

Quote:
Very true
Just in my opinion though I think he should be put in from the beggining because all that will happen if he is dropped is that he will lose confidence. I am not convinced that thorpe will be the same force after all his injury problems and I think a player like pietersen will have much more drive.
I think him going to coach down under after the series is incentive enough to win.

Quote:
I know Pietersen hasn't proved himself at test level all I meant was that he has shown he has the temperament to handle tough situations, and that is half the battle in test matches when you have long runs of the best bowlers constantly testing your technique for weakness
But in ODIs the bowlers are limited in the amount of short stuff they can bowl, this isn't really the case in Tests unless they go above shoulder/head height and a good bouncer should only come up to your neck. He won't have faced this kind of bowling in the ODIs, county championship he might've done but there's a huge leap between county and international level. I didn't see too much of the recent one dayers but i would hazard a bet that quite a few of his runs went to where the slips are in the Tests?

Quote:
I agree that bell will be in the spot light too, I can't really understand the reasoning in not playing him in the ODI's when they pick a player like Solanki, who did very well, but for me bell could have done with getting used too facing these top bowlers
I agree, he's also a very good fielder. Just out of interest, do you play yourself?
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 14:52   #33
arbondigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Personally I would play Thorpe if he is fit, if he isnt fit then play pieterson, failing that go for rob key (who I rate highly or Ian Bell, all else fails we still have Solanki)
Key is a very good player but hasn't consistently produced at the highest level. He showed what he's capable of with his 200 against the West Indies but didn't really do too much else after that match. I'd like to see Key get another chance, as i'm sure he will, just because i lived in Kent for most of my life and played against him when he wasn't on county duty a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Personally I think the key to our ashes victory will be Flintoff, his batting and bowling.
I completely agree. His bowling has been very consistent over the last year or 2 and, together with Harmison, is our main strike bowler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Will we win it?
As much as i'd love to see us win it, i can't see it happening. It should be the most competitive Ashes for a long time but i still think that the Aussies will take it.
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 15:00   #34
Viceroy
Toon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Personally I would play Thorpe if he is fit, if he isnt fit then play pieterson, failing that go for rob key (who I rate highly or Ian Bell, all else fails we still have Solanki) Personally I think the key to our ashes victory will be Flintoff, his batting and bowling. Is it me or when pieterson is around Flintoff cant bat for shit, its a bit like when botham ran out boycott on purpose, I can envisage the same happening, Flintoff for some reason doesnt bat well with Pieterson, it just doesnt work as both play the same type of shots.

Thorpe is also proven in test cricket and gives the stability the side needs, if thorpe is shit, then bring in young blood, but dont do it the other way around.

Will we win it?

We can win it, but the aussies are reaching there peak and fk are they good. But I believe we will win it.
I agree that flintoff is a key man, his bowling is really improving I just hope he finds his form with the bat again. I don't think Pietersen is the prolem as he has struggled the whole series bar 1 innings at lords.
I honestly think its just a matter of time though just needs a bit more time at the crease.

===Legend===

- Pete Doherty
<<<Not Legend>>>
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 15:10   #35
Viceroy
Toon Forever

Quote:

But in ODIs the bowlers are limited in the amount of short stuff they can bowl, this isn't really the case in Tests unless they go above shoulder/head height and a good bouncer should only come up to your neck. He won't have faced this kind of bowling in the ODIs, county championship he might've done but there's a huge leap between county and international level. I didn't see too much of the recent one dayers but i would hazard a bet that quite a few of his runs went to where the slips are in the Tests?
Yeh it will be a completely different league from what he is used too, but seeing him slog a four off a gillespie bouncer yesterday showed he isn't afraid of some tougher bowling. To be honest as well he seems to rarly go for little push shots to the slip position, most his shots go onto the legside. It will be real interesting whatever happens though, at least this ashes there might be a contest
Quote:
I agree, he's also a very good fielder. Just out of interest, do you play yourself?
not for a while used too play a bit in school, just an armchair fan now! Rugby/football was my thing mainly. You play at all??

===Legend===

- Pete Doherty
<<<Not Legend>>>
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 15:23   #36
arbondigo

Quote:
not for a while used too play a bit in school, just an armchair fan now! Rugby/football was my thing mainly. You play at all??
Wish i was just an armchair fan too when you're running around in the heat!! Used to play up to Kent U17s and for a strong Kent League club. Moved house a couple of years back and lost interest whilst at uni and now just play for my local club which is a reasonable standard but less than what i used to. More interested in the beer after the games now
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 15:35   #37
Viceroy
Toon Forever

Haha yeh priorities change at about 17-18 years old I know my mate goes on some monster binges with his cricket club, and they always seem so clean cut in their whites.
I would have liked to have made it too one of the ODI's but the nearest for me was the durham match and I was working that day. I bet they were a great day out, especially when England won!

===Legend===

- Pete Doherty
<<<Not Legend>>>
Unread 14 Jul 2005, 08:23   #38
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Deffeh , you have an opinion on Cricket. How dare you call yourself a Scotsman!
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2005, 12:10   #39
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

Well Pieterson has been picked.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4676287.stm
Unread 14 Jul 2005, 20:12   #40
Viceroy
Toon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC

Nice, well I've put my faith in him, here's hoping that he can produce the goods !!

===Legend===

- Pete Doherty
<<<Not Legend>>>