User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Apr 2003, 22:24   #1
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
so, i'm quite bored..

and i'm just wondering why this game is so politically retarded. Should we blame it all on Fury and Legion for creating that first powerblock way back before most of you even know what this game was about...

and on that, what do you all feel the need to continue their legacy of wank powerblocking...

just wondering..is ther any way we'll ever get some kinda geopolitical stability, or maybe even some alliances not being gutless...

guess not
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 22:25   #2
Dreadnought!

vac mode should be disabled
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 22:26   #3
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadnought!
No it shouldn't. It just shouldn't be abused.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 22:26   #4
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Quote:
bored too?
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 22:26   #5
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold
Re: so, i'm quite bored..

Quote:
Originally posted by Cicada
or maybe even some alliances not being gutless...
There used to be a few, some still even exist today. But something has changed. Dunno what. It's a shame really

Bring back Xanadu & Fury ... for good fights.
Bring back Legion ... for sideshow entertainment.

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 22:28   #6
Dreadnought!

Quote:
bored too?
Yes :|
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 22:30   #7
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Quote:
Yes :|
i spent the last 1/2 an hour trolling through logs and stuff looking for my old xyz's for my board sig..

and now i'm having an argument with zhukov about a game i've never even played, or seen actually...
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 22:32   #8
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Dreadnought should be disabled.

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
RooKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 22:36   #9
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by RooKie
Dreadnought should be disabled.
Amen
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 22:50   #10
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Re: so, i'm quite bored..

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpio
There used to be a few, some still even exist today. But something has changed. Dunno what. It's a shame really

Aye, at least there was a point to power blocking then, beating the scum Fury/Xanadu rivilary was cool.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 23:32   #11
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Re: Re: so, i'm quite bored..

Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
Aye, at least there was a point to power blocking then, beating the scum Fury/Xanadu rivilary was cool.
But it got old. It's a pity Xanadu didnt last to r8. We may have been able to see a Fury/Xanadu team.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 23:32   #12
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Re: so, i'm quite bored..

Quote:
and i'm just wondering why this game is so politically retarded. Should we blame it all on Fury and Legion for creating that first powerblock way back before most of you even know what this game was about...

and on that, what do you all feel the need to continue their legacy of wank powerblocking...

just wondering..is ther any way we'll ever get some kinda geopolitical stability, or maybe even some alliances not being gutless...

guess not
You answer your question in your post. Weve spent 9 rounds now blaming a few people for the state of the game and what good has it done us? We will never get out of this pattern as long as people think that powerblocking happens because of a minority of evil players. From rd 1 - rd 5 there is a natural progression of events that led to this pattern. You could have had monkeys playing the game, it still woudl have happened.

We can change the game, but not if people refuse to recognize the causes of what happens.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 00:01   #13
Jykke
Estharian

Jykke has a spectacular aura aboutJykke has a spectacular aura aboutJykke has a spectacular aura about
Re: Re: Re: Re: so, i'm quite bored..

Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
But it got old. It's a pity Xanadu didnt last to r8. We may have been able to see a Fury/Xanadu team.
after all the rounds before, it would have been very interesting ending

[Blue Tuba] -> [Fury] -> [Eclipse] -> [1up]
rounds that I have played; 3-10 and 16.
....."Never Defeat,
.....Never Despair,
Welcome To Esthar"
Jykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 00:09   #14
wubanger
what do you care...

wubanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Xan/Fury in rnd 8 wouldn't have turned out too well, the rnd 6 or 7 version of Xan would have been a much better partner imho. I take this to mean that what Ramses said to me about how he was negotiating with Fury for some possible cooperation as legit then?

Former Member
Ministry(HC), Xanadu(WingHC) and 1up (peon)
wubanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 00:56   #15
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
No it shouldn't. It just shouldn't be abused.
there is no abuse. if you want a break press the button - it is that simple.

[23:33] <@Divine> hmm I think I may have a new GF aswell
[23:33] <@Divine> but dunno yet if I want a new GF so early in the round
laputa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 00:59   #16
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
couldn't agree more

rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 01:47   #17
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by wubanger
Xan/Fury in rnd 8 wouldn't have turned out too well, the rnd 6 or 7 version of Xan would have been a much better partner imho. I take this to mean that what Ramses said to me about how he was negotiating with Fury for some possible cooperation as legit then?
Xanadu offered a deal to Fury for r7. Fury declined almost immediately if my memory serves me correctly. This was when Sid was still around.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 04:14   #18
Silk_311x
Free

Silk_311x will become famous soon enoughSilk_311x will become famous soon enough
Xanadu and Fury combination would of been fun to play in, but not very much fun to play against.
Silk_311x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 04:19   #19
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Silk_311x
Xanadu and Fury combination would of been fun to play in, but not very much fun to play against.
A Xanadu without, or with LDK, and its other wings?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 04:24   #20
Silk_311x
Free

Silk_311x will become famous soon enoughSilk_311x will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by G.K Zhukov
Either really... although with all there wings, it would make there bite that much more potent
Silk_311x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 05:16   #21
Aviendha1975
m33p m33p

Aviendha1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
You answer your question in your post. Weve spent 9 rounds now blaming a few people for the state of the game and what good has it done us? We will never get out of this pattern as long as people think that powerblocking happens because of a minority of evil players. From rd 1 - rd 5 there is a natural progression of events that led to this pattern. You could have had monkeys playing the game, it still woudl have happened.

We can change the game, but not if people refuse to recognize the causes of what happens.

Hmm.

Simple fact is, it started with a few and after a while everyone caught on to the fact that winning and dominating wasn't per se about skills, it's about numbers and/or organisation.
The main difference between alliances then in the 'good ol' days' was the level of organisation and the know-how in politics (ie just pick yourself an ally that is more or less evenly organised and just point the combined forces in one direction).
In those days we could even still get away with sharing defences, which tbh in the current climate is like backstabbing yourself, due to the oh so lovely retal rules and bs'ing in shared command channels.

Simple truth is everyone now knows the rules it can be played by, and you can't blame anyone for abusing them to the max heh.

I doubt it's ever gonna go away unless the game-play becomes seriously damaging to the advantages of blocking.

PA is moving towards a perfect 'the end justifies the means'-situation.

A random round softened it a bit, but in a private universe, wether you block first or block last in response, you'll always be the culprit

Put your hopes on the brains for R10 design to come up with a hopefully block-proof design, cause after all we are all way too smart and will figure out any backdoors in no time
Aviendha1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 05:59   #22
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W

You are quite deterministic (I think thats the rigght english word) by nature, Germania.

I think its possible to break the pattern, but then again...thats my nature too.

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
RooKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 11:24   #23
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by wubanger
Xanadu round 8 would have been a new Xanadu. I actually set up plans for it, before i was told we would disband

Quote:
Originally posted by G.K Zhukov
To be honest, I'm not too sure whether LDK would have left if they had known about the 'new' Xanadu
Aside from that, we'd still have atleast 2 wings... Vikings and Core, with enough firepower to give any alliance a hard time

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 11:33   #24
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
id blame concordium and t6e more than legion and fury tbh.

this does presume your willing to blame people who were playing 3 years ago in round 1 of a game that noone had ever heard of before....

this wouldve happened regardless of past actions.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 12:04   #25
Urkki

Urkki is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: so, i'm quite bored..

Quote:
Originally posted by Aviendha1975
Simple truth is everyone now knows the rules it can be played by, and you can't blame anyone for abusing them to the max heh.
Of course you can blame them, and rightfully so. If you can use word abuse, you can blame those who do it. It comes directly from the definition of word 'abuse', you know. If you abuse the 'rules of fairness' in a way that destroys the game, then, by definition, you can and should be blamed of it. If you don't like being a selfish cnut, then don't be one, simple as that...

Think of R8 for example, that was fun, and even. And it would have stayed fun and even if it hadn't been cut short, too. Based on my PA an alliance experience, I'd tend to thank the HCs of the leadeing alliances of R8 for that.

Oh, yeah, but Fury was losing... So Fury HCs had to prevent this round from being fun and even... Has Fury ever won an even fight, anyway? But, thanks a bunch, WEET HCs in general and Fury HCs in particular. You have made this round unique! I will always remember what you did for the game and community this round!
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 12:18   #26
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve
Re: Re: Re: Re: so, i'm quite bored..

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpio

I love you Scorpio

Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
True. Interesting.
I wonder how it will turn out.