User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 22 Sep 2013, 06:27   #1
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future
Covert ops (Anarchy)

The addition of the covert operation that induces Anarchy is in my opinion the epitome of the issue I addressed in my thread here. There are a number of issues I have with it, and I believe it should be removed from the game.

Power.

Recently, the bank hack covop was nerfed because it was (and, in my opinion still is) too strong. At 20 agents (the amount an Anarchy covop would take), it used to steal 600k of resources from a planet. An example of how much resources this could take from an average top100 planet in the mid-round:

At 1000 roids, assuming Corporatism, 25% Population mining bonus, Core mining 2 and 30 refineries, your income is (250k + 30k + 12k) * 1.49 = 435k per tick.

Anarchy's reduction means that the income is reduced to (250k + 30k + 12k) = 292k per tick. This is a reduction of 143k, for four ticks, meaning a total of 572k. This is almost as powerful as pre-nerf bankhacks (though planets do not gain these resources, of course), and it excluding the reductions to other outputs.

Design.

Anarchy reduces your Alert by 25%. A covert op that screws up your planet for four ticks makes you more susceptiple to that very thing. So, the only way to get rid of it is to invest severely into Security. But, then your planet gets out of Anarchy, your alert goes up, and you have all these useless Guards!

Fun vs frustration.

This is something that goes for (almost) all covert ops: They are less rewarding/fun for the planet using them than they are frustrating for the target. Ever got Science hacked? Yeah, that guy totally got 4-20 XP off of you, while setting your research back by 2-6 ticks. Being put in Anarchy for 4 ticks is even more crippling, and can even be screwing you over if you were counting on something finishing at a certain tick.

I'd go as far to say that the game is better off without Covert Ops, but I would not want to remove something outright without at least trying to fix it. I've suggested some abstract things to improve in my initial thread, but for the moment I'd just like to discuss it and gather opinions before I think of ways to fix it.

tl;dr - Being able to switch governments is something long overdue, but the covert op inducing it is too powerful and a poor addition to the game.

Last edited by Patrikc; 22 Sep 2013 at 07:11.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote