User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Nov 2004, 00:37   #1
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Animal Rights

there are dead animals on this page

Someone just sent me this link on MSN as a 'haha, duck in a trash can' joke. (yes i know strange people)

Anyway, after reading it i'm drawn to:

Quote:
Remember, everyone who eats an animal product is responsible for the animals' torture and death, because they paid to have it done.
and

Quote:
To the farmers, his (a duck's) death is considered no more than a statistical loss. But according to the Bible, he was just as much a living soul, as we humans are.
To me it seems stupid to label everyone who eats an animal product as contributing to an animal's suffering. Don't products such as Free Range help improve animals' quality of life? Is it down to the consumer to take responsibility for these actions? Any religious people have a view on the matter of animals' 'souls'?

Just wondering if the great people of GD had any oppinions on the matter as i incidentally have to attend a lecture on animal rights next week and have to listen to people's views for 3 hours+.

PS Bored Shitless (hence actually bothering to post something even remotely approaching serious on GD)

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 00:46   #2
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Animal Rights

to some point they are right: people always buy their food as cheap as they can get it, so the cheaper the farmer can produce the more likely it is he makes any money.
but there are laws against these things. im quite certain that that feeding shown in those pictures is illegal, at least in the EU.
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 00:47   #3
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

If half the humans on the planet are still fighting for rights, why should we care about animals not having any?
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 00:50   #4
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't eat fois gras so my conscience is clear.

I wish they han't mentioned god though. What sort of god allows this sort of thing to happen to american ducks ?

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 00:56   #5
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

So its wrong to force feed animals but it is quite alright to keep them as pets and surgically remove their ability to breed to control the population?

I always thought that nature balanced out the population, one way or another.

As for becoming a vegan, its alright for animals to eat other animals but its wrong for humans to do so???

It's not our fault that we tend to be better predators than them, thats just our nature.

I always liked the attitude of PETA types that nature is all fine dandy but humans shouldn't be involved in it in any way shape or form as if we are some kind of non-natural component of the system.

As a lion has the right to kill and eat an antelope, humans have the right to kill and eat anything that doesn't succeed in avoiding that fate by adapting to fill a niche other than food. However I do believe that we should avoid causing unnescessary suffering .

blah, also bored.

Last edited by Ninja_spammer; 10 Nov 2004 at 11:37. Reason: Missed out one word and changed nature of argument :)
Ninja_spammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 00:59   #6
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalon
there are dead animals on this page

Someone just sent me this link on MSN as a 'haha, duck in a trash can' joke. (yes i know strange people)

Anyway, after reading it i'm drawn to:

Quote:
Remember, everyone who eats an animal product is responsible for the animals' torture and death, because they paid to have it done.
Torture? Since when did farmers torture animals before killing them? (Anyway, people who eat animal products are probably also responsible for the animal being alive in the first place. I doubt that if we were all vegetarians and had been for the past few centuries there'd be thousands of cows and pigs roaming wild around the countryside.)

Quote:
and

Quote:
To the farmers, his (a duck's) death is considered no more than a statistical loss. But according to the Bible, he was just as much a living soul, as we humans are.
I'm ready to be proven wrong, but I doubt the Bible actually says that.

Quote:
To me it seems stupid to label everyone who eats an animal product as contributing to an animal's suffering. Don't products such as Free Range help improve animals' quality of life? Is it down to the consumer to take responsibility for these actions? Any religious people have a view on the matter of animals' 'souls'?
I think animals probably have some form of soul, or spirit, or whatever you want to call it (though obviously not like ours). I don't think this makes it wrong to kill animals for food, though (although it gets more dodgy with the more intelligent animals - eating dolphins would be a bit sick, and I think the Chinese are cruel for eating dogs as well).

Quote:
Just wondering if the great people of GD had any oppinions on the matter as i incidentally have to attend a lecture on animal rights next week and have to listen to people's views for 3 hours+.
3 hour lectures should be banned as a breach of human rights.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 01:00   #7
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

According to the Bible, the animals were given to man to use as a resource.
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 01:15   #8
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
If half the humans on the planet are still fighting for rights, why should we care about animals not having any?
because to secure human rights, we have to do something. to secure animal rights, we have to STOP doing something.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 03:22   #9
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

i like the oldskool french foie gras better

nailing a goose to a piece of 2 by 4.

and for those concerned : foie gras is a pretty decent delicatesse
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 03:25   #10
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The bible doesnt say that animals have souls*.

*they dont
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 09:48   #11
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Torture? Since when did farmers torture animals before killing them? (Anyway, people who eat animal products are probably also responsible for the animal being alive in the first p
The process of making Foie Gras is pretty gruesome. Force feeding ducks and geese so their livers get as big as possible, before killing them doesn't sound like fun
And it's done In France I believe- one of those "I want to buy a new house, help me channel 4!" programs showed it :|
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 10:52   #12
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_spammer
So its wrong to force feed animals but it is quite alright to keep them as pets and surgically remove their ability to breed to control the population?

I always thought that nature balanced out the population, one way or another.

As for becoming a vegan, its alright for animals to eat other animals but its wrong for humans to do so???

It's not our fault that we tend to be better predators than them, thats just our nature.

I always liked the attitude of PETA types that nature is all fine dandy but humans shouldn't be involved in it in any way shape or form as if we are some kind of non-natural component of the system.

As a lion has the right to kill and eat an antelope, humans have the right to kill and eat anything that doesn't succeed in avoiding that fate by adapting to fill a niche other than food. However I do believe that we should cause unnescessary suffering .

blah, also bored.
good point. i would even say that if we would not have started eating meat, we would all still be sitting on some trees in africa. there simply would have been no need for any form of sophisticated communication or the use of tools.
however, that doesnt mean we should be cruel to animals just to safe a few cent of production costs.
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 12:36   #13
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
The process of making Foie Gras is pretty gruesome. Force feeding ducks and geese so their livers get as big as possible, before killing them doesn't sound like fun
And it's done In France I believe- one of those "I want to buy a new house, help me channel 4!" programs showed it :|
Obviously there are some processes that are cruel (though not exactly what I'd describe as "torture"), and the production of veal isn't exactly kind to animals, but the average piece of meat or chicken or whatever is hardly the result of a massive system of animal torture, which is what the author of that diatribe seemed to be implying.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote