User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 11 May 2011, 09:03   #1
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
10 Months on...

...26 Jul 2010, 19:18...

10 months on from Jagex buying up Planetarion.....

So whats changed?

Well we've had 4 rounds (Acquired pre-r38).

PA is not even on the Jagex home page yet.

PA gameplay hasnt changed.

Username login has changed again to Email login (as i think it should have been all along).

The player base is ever decreasing.

So can we safely say Jagex have added the game to the books, which is just another quick revenue source?

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2011, 09:15   #2
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: 10 Months on...

But Jagex is such a huuuge company. They can't possibly give any customers any updates on their dealings.
Unread 11 May 2011, 09:43   #3
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh, the domain is worth more than the game. The game generates revenue, sure, but you could stick any old bitta code behind the domain and make money off of it. www.planetarion.com has been around for over a decade and has an insane number of links directing to it, meaning anything you host at the location is going to perform insanely well in search engine results and has huge referral value to any new property put in it's place.

Jagex don't want to fix PA, they want www.planetarion.com to represent one of their own, newer products. It's the ONLY reason they wouldn't have put PA on their website yet, because it's not like it can take 10 months to 'get around' to doing something so basic as to featuring a couple of links to the game on their home page. They don't want the name to be associated with this game, otherwise when they WANT to use 'Planetarion', people will have been put off with the utter bollocks that is PA as we know it.

Stop living in the clouds, stop making suggestions (Cin does whatever the f*ck he wants anyway, irrespective of whether it's what the playerbase wants/is any good), stop expecting change when there shall be none.

Meanwhile, check out Spinner's site as there've been new updates made and THAT game looks playable.
Unread 11 May 2011, 11:56   #4
abaladjay

abaladjay is on a distinguished road

Jagex is a joke I e-mailed them in reference to a customer complaint and am still waiting for any type of response
not even as much as a pre fabricated acknowledgement of we have received your email......

As far as them being a big company don't make me laugh

another shining example of a wannabe big player working with friends to try to create an image of big business with no practical real business sense
and it shows.
abaladjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2011, 14:43   #5
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaladjay View Post
Jagex is a joke I e-mailed them in reference to a customer complaint and am still waiting for any type of response
not even as much as a pre fabricated acknowledgement of we have received your email......

As far as them being a big company don't make me laugh

another shining example of a wannabe big player working with friends to try to create an image of big business with no practical real business sense
and it shows.

haha, talking out of your ass sir.

I played Runescape Classic many years ago (before it was made into a casual PoS) when Jagex was just a startup, and they had the best customer support! The two Gower's (founders) used to come into he game and talk to players (similar to original PA!) all the time for suggestions, it's only when they got BIG did the customer support turn to sh*t.

If building a £100M+ company in your twenties isn't big, then you should advise us on your own, more impressive achievements?

Kenny mind me PMing me that site, because I've had some ideas for a space strategy game project (just a text based side project to do in the future) and I see no point in putting them forward as suggestions for PA, so I plan to just bundle them into my own little game for the fun of making it (as I don't doubt a text based game failing instantly if it were released).

EDIT: found it I think, interestingly some of the features are scarily close to the ideas I had.

Last edited by Zeyi; 11 May 2011 at 14:55.
Zeyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2011, 15:14   #6
abaladjay

abaladjay is on a distinguished road

if what you say is correct then they have failed the first tenant of business take care of the customer

and with that maybe they need to get back to basics or hire competent help to advise them

Last edited by abaladjay; 11 May 2011 at 18:28.
abaladjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2011, 15:40   #7
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeyi View Post
haha, talking out of your ass sir.
Of course he was.

Quote:
Kenny mind me PMing me that site
You're not allowed to advertise other games through these forums.

Unread 11 May 2011, 17:35   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.ad2460.com/
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 11 May 2011 at 17:35. Reason: FIGHT THE POWER
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2011, 18:20   #9
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Of course he was.

That's why I asked for the PM, so it's not really advertising, but I googled around found the link Mzyxptlk posted

Thanks to you both anyway.
Unread 11 May 2011, 18:22   #10
Korsan
Always MadcowS

Korsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post

If you haven't done so yet, quit pa. I don't give a sh on it any more as I'm simply done with their empty promises.

We got a head coder who works on PA "part time" and an owner who bought this game for.. what? For what? Until Someone provides an answer I'll be gone from PA.

Well I'm not gone because of PA being bad and all but because of RL but someone has to add an emo level to this topic so I thought I'd take that part of work

And...

Relation Change Ascendancy and the Horde are now at war with each other.
Korsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2011, 19:33   #11
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

i am just curious who will win the race to space

will it be spinner

or will it be the new game located at
www.planetarion.com

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2011, 20:30   #12
PewPewQQ
Google Me.
Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Summer Games Champion, Twelve Swap Champion

PewPewQQ is a jewel in the roughPewPewQQ is a jewel in the roughPewPewQQ is a jewel in the roughPewPewQQ is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post

...Subtle \o/

PewPewQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2011, 20:47   #13
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I totally missed that. Disappointing.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 11 May 2011, 21:22   #14
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Quote:
I totally missed that. Disappointing.
It was much easier to spot once quoted I thought!
Unread 11 May 2011, 23:05   #15
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

The only thing missing from the "other" game is using twitter.

As I dont use facebook (deleted my account), twitter has become my main source of social media.

So spinner if your reading this, please include twitter into the mix

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 12 May 2011, 09:34   #16
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Mr Lobster.
I have now made a twitter-account for the game in question. I am sure you can manage to find the right twitter-account to watch.
Just to be clear though: Any new game I may or may not be making atm, is not a "facebook-game". We merely use the game's facebook-page as a method of communication to alert people that we have added content to the game's webpage.
It doesn't feel right to be talking too much about this here on these forums though, so let's not. It is possible to pm me ofc.
Unread 12 May 2011, 10:16   #17
t3k
The Video Guy

So why not give us some forums that would be more topically relevant? <3
Unread 12 May 2011, 10:17   #18
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

I have no need for it atm. Little time too.
Unread 12 May 2011, 10:46   #19
Elevator
Crackhead

Elevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I have no need for it atm. Little time too.
Stop wasting time here, go fix up for next season in managerleague instead and give me a god damn high Q 17yo for the season
Unread 12 May 2011, 11:19   #20
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Hehe, the ML season-change programs are running continuously all day, whether I am here, at Facebook or on Twitter. I just need to monitor stuff in case they go badly, and take backups of the database at certain stages of the process.
Unread 12 May 2011, 11:24   #21
Elevator
Crackhead

Elevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the rough

Unread 13 May 2011, 01:21   #22
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
...Just to be clear though: Any new game I may or may not be making atm, is not a "facebook-game". We merely use the game's facebook-page as a method of communication to alert people that we have added content to the game's webpage.
I've seen a lot of people/companies use Facebook as a means to hold media, such as Team Lotus (Formula 1).

They uploaded footage of the new car pre-season to Facebook, which if you don't have an account you couldn't see the video

Its just a frustrating thing really.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 13 May 2011, 23:10   #23
vuLgAr
Bi-Winning

vuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaladjay View Post
if what you say is correct then they have failed the first tenant of business take care of the customer

and with that maybe they need to get back to basics or hire competent help to advise them
ok ok, in your own thread maybe, but can you please stop polluting my eyes with this abomination of text de-stylization.

H-A ODDR Apprime xVx VisioN HEROES Ultores
vuLgAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2011, 23:23   #24
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Would there be any hope for revivial if the PA community was to somehow put a Co-operative together and buy the game for ourselves?
Or shall we just goto spinner's new game?

10 months with the level of progress made is nothing short of pish imo.
Unread 14 May 2011, 01:42   #25
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
Would there be any hope for revivial if the PA community was to somehow put a Co-operative together and buy the game for ourselves?
Or shall we just goto spinner's new game?

10 months with the level of progress made is nothing short of pish imo.
like mentioned earlier...they bought www.planetarion.com for the name, and dont give a shit about this community or the current game.
purchasing the code / using some older one / pia etc would be more likely than getting to purchase the domain.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2011, 04:08   #26
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
like mentioned earlier...they bought www.planetarion.com for the name, and dont give a shit about this community or the current game.
purchasing the code / using some older one / pia etc would be more likely than getting to purchase the domain.
whats the best way to spite them.... keep playing?
Unread 14 May 2011, 15:26   #27
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

TBH even if they shut it down and took the name, it wouldn't be hard for us to recreate PA and to our own liking.

We'd just all need to agree on stuff -.-
Unread 14 May 2011, 18:17   #28
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:
TBH even if they shut it down and took the name, it wouldn't be hard for us to recreate PA and to our own liking.
what shade of grey is needed to avoid a lawyers from jagex?
(Im not clued up on this subject)

Quote:
We'd just all need to agree on stuff -.-
Depends on the quality of the multihunters
Unread 14 May 2011, 18:39   #29
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Quote:
what shade of grey is needed to avoid a lawyers from jagex?
(Im not clued up on this subject)

Depends on the quality of the multihunters

The actual game wouldn't be a problem I don't think, it's like when we all joked about galaxytarion a few years ago. The game itself has been replicated hundreds of times since it was first made, I've seen so many planetarion clones it's unbelievable (but most run on minutes rather than hour long ticks).

The problems would arise in finding people to multihunt, as you said. And monitoring the code to make sure no-one puts anything in there to cheat (although I doubt anyone who'd volunteer to work on it would do this).
Unread 19 May 2011, 02:06   #30
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice

Spinner himself has said that his new game 'isn't 'the new PA'. From what I've seen of Spinners game (no disrepect to the man intended) it's just a poor mans version of another game

I for one won't be switching to Spinners new game as I have a paid subscription to the 'other game' and can't see anything he has improved upon at this point...

The only reason I can see any1 from PA switching to spinners game rather than the established games which he is replicating is to try and keep the community together, or stick with old friends and start up in a position of power within a new game.

If what kenny has implied is true and jagex have bought www.planetarion.com to introduce their own poor mans version of 'another game' with an established domain name, and you lot are standing on a soap box and going to join Spinners game to spite Jagex....

well it's just sad. Time to expand your horizons dudes. Its been 11 years already.
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2011, 04:32   #31
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeart View Post
you lot are standing on a soap box and going to join Spinners game to spite Jagex...
That would be a pretty dumb thing to do. The number of people playing Spinner's game isn't something that influences Jagex' revenue one bit. People not playing PA does though.

Speaking for myself, I am genuinely hopeful about AD2460. I'll check it out when it's ready. If it's good, I'll keep playing. If it's not, I won't. Do you really believe there's anyone who will do otherwise? Who will keep playing it even if it sucks, just "to spite Jagex"?
Unread 19 May 2011, 08:05   #32
t3k
The Video Guy

o/
Unread 19 May 2011, 10:30   #33
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice

No where in my post did i say spinners game is going to suck mz? I know you like to argue and your a bit up your own ass but dont put words in my mouth! Im sure spinners game will be good he's experienced and cares about his games clearly.

But i stand by what i said its a poor mans version of another game as will be the jagex initiative.

To go to spinners new game would be the equivalent of upgrading to a ford when your fiat punto finally dies when that bmw you have always wanted is there and waiting for you to take it for a test drive.
Unread 19 May 2011, 14:21   #34
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Who are you replying to? You used my nick, but it doesn't look like you actually read anything I wrote.

Also, this 'other game" you keep referring to, does it have a name? I have no idea what you're talking about.
Unread 19 May 2011, 14:44   #35
DarkHeart

was replying to you clearly. You asked if I felt that ppl would play spinners game if it sucked (implying I thought it would do) and I replied stating I don't think it will suck, but why play ad2460 when its just a poor mans version of a better game...which was my original point which you missed in your initial response...I can only assume you thought I was comparing a migration to Spinners game rather than Jagex's new game as a migration of spite, which I wasn't, as my initial post stated I feel Jagex's and Spinners new game will both be poor mans version of the 'other game' and to only focus on Spinners new game and Jagex's when PA dies will be an unfortunate oversight on migrating players choices. IMO

Not sure where the rules on advertising other games sit exactly, but the 'other' game is Eve.

Fair enough Spinners game is still browser based but with not needing to refresh etc it would play more like a 'clientside/serverside' game and its 'perpetual state' in my mind Spinners game is the poor mans Eve, in my mind Eve is the game that Spinner is trying to replicate and in having a subsciption to Eve, I don't see the point of having a subscription in Spinners game also, and I would rather take old PA friends to Eve rather than join them in Spinners new game (as the devlopment stands now). But to each his own.

Ofc it's still early days for Spinners development but as it stands on the small amount of info released, thats my opinion.
Unread 19 May 2011, 15:04   #36
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
was replying to you clearly. You asked if I felt that ppl would play spinners game if it sucked (implying I thought it would do) and I replied stating I don't think it will suck, but why play ad2460 when its just a poor mans version of a better game...which was my original point which you missed in your initial response...I can only assume you thought I was comparing a migration to Spinners game rather than Jagex's new game as a migration of spite, which I wasn't, as my initial post stated I feel Jagex's and Spinners new game will both be poor mans version of the 'other game' and to only focus on Spinners new game and Jagex's when PA dies will be an unfortunate oversight on migrating players choices. IMO

Not sure where the rules on advertising other games sit exactly, but the 'other' game is Eve.

Fair enough Spinners game is still browser based but with not needing to refresh etc it would play more like a 'clientside/serverside' game and its 'perpetual state' in my mind Spinners game is the poor mans Eve, in my mind Eve is the game that Spinner is trying to replicate and in having a subsciption to Eve, I don't see the point of having a subscription in Spinners game also, and I would rather take old PA friends to Eve rather than join them in Spinners new game (as the devlopment stands now). But to each his own.

Ofc it's still early days for Spinners development but as it stands on the small amount of info released, thats my opinion.

I honestly have to say that what I've seen from Spinners new game makes me think: Hm, that sure looks like a better version of PA.

I have never played Eve, nor do I plan on, but Spinners new game is most certainly preferrable to owners that do not care about Planetarion.

I will make an alliance in the new game, and will most likely not be active in PA anymore after that. Why spend my time and effort on a game that clearly does not value the players it has.
Unread 19 May 2011, 15:08   #37
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
implying I thought it would do
No. Just... no.

Quote:
I can only assume you thought I was comparing a migration to Spinners game rather than Jagex's new game as a migration of spite, which I wasn't
Seemed like a reasonable assumption to make, given that you stated exactly that: "you lot are (...) going to join Spinners game to spite Jagex...". But ok, fair enough, you don't feel that way.

Quote:
poor mans version (....) poor mans version (....) poor mans Eve
Why do you keep saying that? Maybe it's just me, but I keep reading that as "not very good".

Quote:
I haven't really seen anything of AD2460 that totally convinced me that the game will be good. I haven't seen anything really bad either, though. The reason I'm going to try it, at least, is because Spinner has demonstrated that he's not a complete ****ing idiot, unlike the clowns over at Jagex. I'm curious about it, I'm interested in how he tried to solve PA's problems, but I'm not invested in it. If it sucks, I'll move on.

I guess we're pretty much in agreement on that. As you said, it's a big world out there and there's plenty of games to play.

P.S. I would feel bad for flaming Jagex, but it's not like they'll ever read this anyway, so **** 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool View Post
I will make an alliance in the new game, and will most likely not be active in PA anymore after that. Why spend my time and effort on a game that clearly does not value the players it has.
If PA were an enjoyable game to play, I wouldn't care one bit about what Jagex were or weren't doing. I wouldn't care if they randomly kicked people from #planetarion, I wouldn't care if they stopped developing it, I wouldn't care if they were mean to their parents, I wouldn't care if they shat on the homeless. If they had a good game that I enjoy playing, I'd play it. If not, then I wouldn't.

I really don't understand this, what are you looking for? A hug? A declaration of eternal love? Didn't you use play this game because you enjoyed it? Why would you need any more reason to leave than "well, I don't any more"?

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 19 May 2011 at 18:12. Reason: Guess I'll put that back then
Unread 19 May 2011, 15:23   #38
DarkHeart

A poor mans version of something doesn't neccessarily mean something sucks, in this instance I feel (or would hope) that spinner would do a good job, but a new game with limited resources will of course be at a distinct disadvantage compared to a product that has been released for many years, with untold resources dumped into it, a player base of approx 20k players at any given time of the day and continuing devlopment

Quote:
P.S. I would feel bad for flaming Jagex, but it's not like they'll ever read this anyway, so **** 'em.
Agreed, and not really intrested in getting into a quote war with you so I'll leave it at that.
Unread 19 May 2011, 15:25   #39
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:

I really don't understand this, what are you looking for? A hug? A declaration of eternal love? Didn't you use play this game because you enjoyed it? Why would you need any more reason to leave than "well, I don't any more"?
Involvement, spending time and resources on developing the game. Recoding the entire game and maybe update the graphics and the interface.

So far in 10 months the most "exciting" changes to the game is how big buddypacks are going to be and how much people manage to screw up the stats.
Unread 19 May 2011, 15:30   #40
Abort
Dumb Yankee

Abort has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
No where in my post did i say spinners game is going to suck mz? I know you like to argue and your a bit up your own ass but dont put words in my mouth! Im sure spinners game will be good he's experienced and cares about his games clearly.

But i stand by what i said its a poor mans version of another game as will be the jagex initiative.

To go to spinners new game would be the equivalent of upgrading to a ford when your fiat punto finally dies when that bmw you have always wanted is there and waiting for you to take it for a test drive.
So you played Spinners game? How was it?
Unread 19 May 2011, 15:39   #41
DarkHeart

read the other posts then be clever Abort
Unread 19 May 2011, 15:52   #42
Influence
Finally retired

Influence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
A bit bold to consider Eve to be the game a PA player allways wanted. As far as PA concerns i feel it to be more like a Fiat 500 than a punto tbh. Many have fell in love with the old Fiat 500. While it may be small and old, the sheer joy it gives you while driving it. Kind of a feeling like "ohw those good ol' days". Given Spinners past achievements i would consider his new game to be an Alfa Romeo, something every fanatic should experience at least once. I am no expert on Eve so i will not make the car analogy here.

In the absence of the good old TiT alliance, look me up in VGN
Influence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2011, 15:59   #43
DarkHeart

I agree to some degree Influence, I've based my view on Spinner stating it's not the new PA, and the devlopment blog to date.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Eve is the be all and end all. At the end of the day I personally still play PA as it brings elemtns that Eve doesn't provide. With everything said so far though I've felt through the course of it that since AD2460 isn't a revamped PA then Eve is perhaps a more viable alternative...unless somebody does a worthwhile PA clone. (xvx have got one in devlopment right?)
Unread 20 May 2011, 00:49   #44
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

As I have played both EVE (since April 2006) and PA (Since R2) I do have a little knowledge and "opinion" on both.

-EVE Online-
While EVE is very nice graphically it does lose substance once you get to a certain skill level. Once you can fly most ships, it just gets into repetition. It turns in to grinding for resources (or "ISK", the currency of EVE) to pay for the ships you lose in PVP.

It could take you 2-3 days of getting ISK to get that shiny Battleship, and lose it in minutes (or seconds depending on pilot skills :P). But then this is what I don't like about EVE.

-Planetarion-
PA on the other hand is primitive game, with that hardware of a calculator to run it. But the lack of any development in the last 5 years, has really hurt the player base. I mean look at Lights Design Doc it has some pretty good ideas, and yet nothing has been taken on board. More than likely is that spinner has taken some ideas from it.

PA hardly needs any involvement from the player, and sitting back for a few days, may lose you roids (in attack or def), but other than that its not a problem.

-AD2460-
Having no actual alpha or beta info on the game, we can only use guess work as to how this game will turn out.

But tbh I dont see to many things similar between ad2460 and EVE in the screen shots. It seems more of an advancement of PA.

-SUMMARY-
I do see spinners game being "better" than PA, but then PA is in a shocking state (game development, player size, Jagex involvement, etc) that using a cheese grater on my balls is better.

I also see at this very early stage a lot of people (from PA) that try ad2460 will stay there.

The only thing that concerns me is if the player groups (alliances etc) are able to co-operate in game effectively.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 20 May 2011, 01:09   #45
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

I feel it is only right that I comment on a few things here.

First of all, "my other game" will not try to be "the other game". It will stand on it's own feet. If I am unable to make a game that set itself apart from others, I have surely failed.
Heck, I don't even like "the other game". Tried it for a few months, but it never "sat right". I gotta admit the new Character Creator looks insanely cool and advanced, but it's not the game for me.
AD needs to bring something new to the table, or something old mixed in a new way. That said, there are wheels invented since long ago, and some of them are pretty circular and good.
There are still many things left to decide upon in AD, so even I do not know how the game will turn out exactly, but we are beginning to get a feel for it.
What I do know is that strategy and tactics will play key roles. As will alliances, and their inner workings.
If it makes sense, I guess one could say that AD will use base elements from many other games, old and new, lift them up into a very modern web-interface, offer more ways of interaction, and then we place a game on top of it all.
It has Facilities and Research, and you could argue we took that from PA. It has another step called Development, which is something a bit different. It has spaceships you can build, which you can use in combat. Most of this just sounds like PA, I know.
But it could be Starcraft 2 as well. Possibly EVE too.

Though many elements may be familiar, the difference lies in HOW these elements are used, interacted with, and perceived. Most people would agree with me in that PA, Starcraft 2 and Eve are very different games indeed.

My only desire is to make a new game that is entertaining, fun, that holds a few surprises and that provides a better experience than other "similar" games. There are dozens of online football managers out there. Yet I dare say I have made ManagerLeague into something quite different from the rest, offering a very different experience, even if many hardcore Hattrick players would indeed say that "it sucks". Games I make are not for "everyone". As I have stated before, I would much rather make a game that is loved by 30 thousand players than one that is played by 5 million.

The games I like to make, has a tendency to creep into the everyday lives of those who like them. By being able to play AD2460 on your tablet, iPad or LG Android phone, we can bring a game to places where i.e. Eve can not go. This allows a whole different interaction-scenario, and a different connection between player and game, if done correctly.

The big question is of course whether I can pull it off or not (-:

It is fun just trying (-:

- Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2011, 01:13   #46
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
The only thing that concerns me is if the player groups (alliances etc) are able to co-operate in game effectively.
Haha, don't be concerned about that. Of all things...Haha..
Must be the least of my worries and challenges

- Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2011, 03:15   #47
nolezy
Class Clown

nolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nice

The thing is, Spinner's game really doesn't have to have an effect on the player base of Planetarion. For instance: I would play Planetarion and ********. I would play Hattrick and Managerleague. Playing one does not necessarily mean a player can't play the other.

The underlying issue would remain that Jagex has yet to show much interest in the game. I can't say I blame them, but you also can't expect them to come out and say "Hey guys, we bought the game for the website only. We have no intention of continuing the develop Planetarion. Sorry." Not, at least, until they were ready to replace the game entirely. They appear to be content to make a small amount off the game and bide their time until they are ready for their next move.

Round 13 - Angels - Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Rank 21
Round 16 - Ascendancy - when im gd im not gd of when im bad i suck - Rank 56
Round 28 - Ascendancy - The Olympic Glory of Michael Phelps - Rank 21
Round 38 - [NFI] - Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Rank 30
Round 39 - Imperia - Purdue of Boilermakers - Rank 59
Round 40 - xVx - An Shi Rebellion of the Tang Dynasty - Rank 2

I'll always give you a hand.
nolezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2011, 10:22   #48
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolezy View Post
The thing is, Spinner's game really doesn't have to have an effect on the player base of Planetarion. For instance: I would play Planetarion and ********.
You're correct that ad2460 does not have to affect the player base of PA, but i would "assume" that more than a handful want more than PA is currently giving.

PA has been stale the last 5 years, I see the main attraction for PA is the community. The underlying game doesn't really matter. But seeing as PA is a really poor MMO compared to other games, I see a big growth in people moving from PA to ad2460.

Another game that I liked was astro empires, however the community aspect was a little behind PA. The game itself had very little need for co-operation (as in it was very hard for anyone to defend any one else because of distances between alliance members, sometimes travelling 200 hours to a target).

I also hope that ad2460 also embraces the mobile internet era, and releases a dedicated app for the game, mobile converted websites might be nice, but dont always work.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 20 May 2011, 10:33   #49
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

I also hope that ad2460 also embraces the mobile internet era, and releases a dedicated app for the game, mobile converted websites might be nice, but dont always work.
very good point about mmo being mobile friendly, spinner please takes notes here
Unread 20 May 2011, 11:04   #50
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Quote:
very good point about mmo being mobile friendly, spinner please takes notes here
I am quite sure we will not turn to Apps.
We will, however, have a quite extensive mobile interface meant and made for modern touch-devices. We will not support very old phones (WML), and stick to HTML5 there too.
But if you read my above post from last night, well, I think a mobile interface is mentioned...