User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Jan 2003, 11:55   #1
Xillah

Xillah is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL broadband

well i can finally get a stand alone cable modem in my area (woo hoo) so i think i'll be getting off aol in the next couple of weeks.

I can get either a 128k line for £15 a month (128? yeah....right..... ), a 600k for £25, or a 1mbit for £35 (think i'll be going for the 1mbit)

I assume some of you guys must be on it so i was wondering how reliable the service is etc. I've heard the tech support is pretty crappy but am i likely to need it much?
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 11:58   #2
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
I upgraded to 1Mb last week and it rawks.

Pay the extra dosh.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 12:00   #3
Xillah

yeah, the way i see it is its only an extra tenner to what i would have be paying anyway. for the difference it makes its worth it.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 12:02   #4
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice
Here it is crap.

ntl are the worst company I have ever dealt with and we can't play any multiplayer games over the net due to a ping of 1000 despite the 600kb connection.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 12:06   #5
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
The only time I've seen a ping of 1000 is when the user is behind a firewall, and that's normal.

Never had to deal with NTL help, fortunately.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 12:10   #6
Xillah

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Dog
Here it is crap.

ntl are the worst company I have ever dealt with and we can't play any multiplayer games over the net due to a ping of 1000 despite the 600kb connection.
Where abouts are you?

I'm on AOL, so a ping of 1000 is somthing i aspire towards.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 12:12   #7
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future
The service is crap where I live (Herts).

The connection reguarly goes down, often for up to 24 hours and phoning NTL is a nightmare, unless you like waiting for hours on the phone while they tell you that "your call is important to them".

When the connection is up tho, it's ok
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 12:22   #8
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Xillah
Where abouts are you?
Coventry area.

Just tried to run cs to test it out, ping started at 90, went to 450, then 790 then 'flashentity product' then freeze. All good fun.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 13:26   #9
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Only problem i've ever has was connecting my XBox to the XBLive service, and never with my PC.
I had cable installed in June 2002, it has a 100% record for me in the Cambridge area.
I'm on the 1mb connection, although i don't notice that much difference over the 600k, in hindsight i'd prolly have stuck with 600k.

Never phone tech support, so i can't comment.
I've got all the support ive ever needed off the forums at http://www.nthellworld.com/forum/
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 13:38   #10
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I've got the 600k connection and it works fine. I've never rung NTL about the internet connection but they've always sorted me out when i've rung up about the digital TV channels, well after going through about 5 automated messages.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 14:09   #11
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm moving to brussels, and i have two options
1) UPC or something = seems to be the crap
2) Skynet ADSL = **** it i said bye bye to those leeches years ago, and now i'm forced to be a customer again :/, be glad you ppl have choices, i wil be paying 55 € :/ pfffffff

Last edited by Spearhead; 28 Jan 2003 at 23:12.
Spearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 14:28   #12
iain50

iain50 is an unknown quantity at this point
on ntl 600k

after a few teething probs its been 100% for 5 months or so. Had to phone ntl customer services, only did it once, and made the wife the next few times, as i was told by the dimwit on the other end my language wasnt helping matters, and she was going to hang up
iain50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 15:01   #13
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
im on ntl 1mb in the dodgy leeds area i live its been avilable since 3rd of december and so far according to ntl theres only 4 other users in my area

would possiably explain why my ping to cs servers is usually around the 10 mark whilst other 1mb users (especially blueyonder) are up around the 20-30 mark

so far i love mine and it hasnt dropped once either so i can claim ntl are unstable
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 15:06   #14
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
im on NTL 600k and no complaints from me, the only thing was i ordered it on about the 28th december but they werent able to instal until last week.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 15:14   #15
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally posted by hinch
im on ntl 1mb in the dodgy leeds area i live its been avilable since 3rd of december and so far according to ntl theres only 4 other users in my area
I wonder who the other 3 are then.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 15:27   #16
Idi

Quote:
Originally posted by sayonara
The only time I've seen a ping of 1000 is when the user is behind a firewall, and that's normal.

Never had to deal with NTL help, fortunately.
im on ntl 600kbps

im behind a firewall

i get pings of 15ms

im ace
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 15:43   #17
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Coventry area.
my mate has NTL BB in lemington and it's fine for him....
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 16:04   #18
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
heh

i'm on ntl dialup and i don't even get pings of 1000 ffs

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 16:51   #19
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
BT > NTL
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 16:55   #20
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I'm on cheapskate 128k, although I have been upgraded for free to 600k for a couple of weeks (until Wednesday).

I get pings of around 50 on 128k, and 50 on 600k.

I think I'll pay for the constant upgrade though, since the download speed is far superior.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 16:57   #21
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
BT > NTL
n00b.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 17:01   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
n00b.
BT are less in debt though.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 17:20   #23
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
BT are less in debt though.
He didn't specify 'financially'.

Look at the histories and the marketing strategies.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 17:23   #24
Nem3sis
Planetarion Radio DJ

Nem3sis is an unknown quantity at this point
on 600k here - dont see much point in the 1MB the extra £10 isnt really worth it...600k is plenifuly fast imo.

As to the service i have never had a problem...once or twice a year the IP changes and all u need to do is start>run>winipcfg>release all>renew all and ure back online...personally i prefer to use the ethernet rather than USB as USB takes time to get dns settings etc and ethernet is more or less instant connection when u start up or open IE.

Only problem i had was the first modem i got had a burning smell and they replaced tht quite hapily....other than that ntl r0x and dont go with BT cos BT r rip offs.
Nem3sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 17:26   #25
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Dont bother with NTL unless you are prepared when you need support to contact a broadband helpline at a Local Call rate and have to hold onto the phone for 40 minutes a time, until you finally get through to someone to be told that the customer database is offline and they cant do anything.

You are really on your own when it comes to support and service. I had my broadband reconnected after it took 3 months to transfer my account to my new address, meaning no tv, phone or bb for the whole of christmas.

Its been nearly two weeks since I had it hooked up again and Im still unable to use the internet. Currently waiting on the customer service line as I post this, have been waiting for 45 minutes.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 17:26   #26
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Look at the histories and the marketing strategies.
Yeah.

"Let's go buy every company, without thinking about whether we can afford it or not."

Great strategy.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 18:10   #27
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
ppl with ADSL, Cable and especially T1 & T3 lines suck fs.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 18:20   #28
'|'empest
Stoke

'|'empest is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
I'm on cheapskate 128k, although I have been upgraded for free to 600k for a couple of weeks (until Wednesday).

I get pings of around 50 on 128k, and 50 on 600k.

I think I'll pay for the constant upgrade though, since the download speed is far superior.
it's only 600k down, you still only have a 128k upstream, meaning for games it will be the same.
'|'empest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 18:26   #29
Dave
Infallible

Quote:
n00b.
I had NTL 600k cable, and simply it was ****.

I changed to BTOpenworld 512k ADSL, and I have never had a problem once.

Ever.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 19:55   #30
Zither
Alcoholic

Zither is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
I had NTL 600k cable, and simply it was ****.

I changed to BTOpenworld 512k ADSL, and I have never had a problem once.

Ever.
I've got same, had a couple of problems, phoned BTOpenworld tech support, problems sorted with no waiting around.

<Ahriman> i didn't know they were shemales until i f*cked them...

If you can't win an argument without using insults you have lost the argument already
Zither is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 22:04   #31
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
sayonara and hinch

ur both gits

<<<<misteh 56k
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 22:15   #32
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
i'm also

misteh 56k, but our exchange recently got an ADSL trigger level, so broadband is in sight!

(yes i know it's adsl, but at least it would get me off this bloody dialup!)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 22:20   #33
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
im on ntl 600kbps

im behind a firewall

i get pings of 15ms

im ace
another happy customer

remember

INSTALL LUNIX PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!11111111111112
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 23:08   #34
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL 1Mbit

Pings anywhere between 80 and 800

One is not amused.

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 23:14   #35
Dave
Infallible

Quote:
Originally posted by Intervention
NTL 1Mbit

Pings anywhere between 80 and 800

One is not amused.

hahahahah

BTOpenworld 512k, and I never ping above 30 (on a good server).
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 23:19   #36
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
im on ntl 600kbps

im behind a firewall

i get pings of 15ms

im ace
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 02:47   #37
Phantom
Last of the Officers

Phantom has a spectacular aura aboutPhantom has a spectacular aura about
NTL 600k

Never had a problem with it, or thier tech support once!

I wish you intelligence for luck runs out sooner than you think

I give up on death before i give up on life
and now i don't know what to do
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 05:15   #38
Idi

Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
another happy customer

remember

INSTALL LUNIX PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!11111111111112
Don't patronise me.

The firewall uses OpenBSD anyway.
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 11:15   #39
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
Had NTL broadband for the past erm...4yrs+ sure some problems with it, when I first got it and the customer service was crap 3-4yrs ago, thats without question, when it was Cabeltel.

Now, however things have changed @ NTL and tbh i havent had to call them with regards to my 600k broadband for the past 2yrs.

But hey, Im biased, especailly since I now work for NTL:-/

But think off all those hundreds of thousands of UK peeps who are still on the old dialup services, paying BT or AOL or FReeserve, etc.. £14 or £15 to connect to interent on old 56k dialup. Take 5-10mins trying to connect, taking up the phone line when connected to the net, etc...

When I can give you NTL cable broadband, installed free, supply you with the cable modem (if you got BT = £85). First month of your NTL broadband completely free off charge....so like GET 1mbit for the first month, or at least 600k speed...YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR FIRST MONTH!!!. Then before first month is over, downgrade it too 128k speed...which means in the 2nd month onwards you would only be paying £14.99 a month....Exactly the same or a little bit more than what you currently pay for the old dialup service.

Now you tell me how anyone could loose with ^^^^ deal? ESPECIALLY since your dont need to be on 12month contract as long as your not an excisting NTL customer and are in an NTL enabled area.

Yes I work for NTL, yes I sell above deals to none NTL customer to get them onto the NTL network and I am allowed to give the max discount, its part of my job description but with an exclusive product such as this, at these prices.....would you think my job is difficult?
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 11:19   #40
Xillah

*cough*hack*sellout*hack*hack*cough*

j/k ta for the info
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 11:56   #41
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
*cough*hack*sellout*hack*hack*cough*

j/k ta for the info

rofl

Your welcome
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 12:13   #42
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold
OMG!!!! NTL GAVE ZEUS A DICTIONARY AND A SPELLCHECKER!!!!

RUN FOR YOUR LIFES!!!!

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 22:26   #43
Zeus
True Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by XeeThot
OMG!!!! NTL GAVE ZEUS A DICTIONARY AND A SPELLCHECKER!!!!

RUN FOR YOUR LIFES!!!!
LOL, I just have more timeo n my hands now is all, can take my time
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 22:35   #44
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Where abouts are you?

I'm on AOL, so a ping of 1000 is somthing i aspire towards.
Bollocks, I get 5 ping
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 22:35   #45
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
LOL, I just have more timeo n my hands now is all, can take my time
hmmm, doesn't look like it from that post
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 22:40   #46
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Zeus, whilst I agree that the start-up costs are non-existent (and the service whilst we were ordering it was excellent) with ntl, the service once you're actually connected is really poor.

I would quite happily pay £85 to start-up, if I was guaranteed the ability to play games online (I can't at all despite a 600k connection). In the first couple of months with ntl the connection would also go down for several days at a time.

The point is that I might as well be on a 56k for all the good it does me.

Having said that, it's nice to see you back :)
Unread 30 Jan 2003, 00:10   #47
FooFighter

FooFighter can only hope to improve
I have never had problems with ntl, i started of 2 years ago on the ntl dialup which i believe was free u only payed for line rental @ £10. A few months after discovering PA i recieved a letter from ntl saying "u r one off or maybe the highest dial up user customer we have" which i was pretty chuffed about, basically they wanted me to change to BB for my own benefit, also they'd install it for £25 <--- half price, after much begging i convinced the parents to change it, since ntl was gonna start charging for its dial up service it was worth it 128KBs @ £15. Many months down the line my dad got a phone call from ntl asking him to come onto their digital and leave sky, but my dad is a haggler, he got the digital cheaper than normal price and...got my BB upgraded to 600KBs for free and it would still cost £15 every month which is champion!!!

I have never had one problem with ntl BB cept for a night a few days ago, it cut off, but only for 5mins.

But the dial up service went down a few times and once the ntl dude pulled my phonline connection out (u know them green boxes in the streets) and i phoned and phoned and they all thought it was my comp, so i had all these operaters telling me to do things with my comp, altering a few settings too, but on a routine check they discovered my connection had been pulled at the box, silly buggers, they refunded my parents phone bill (the operaters charge a lot per min u know)

Overall BB is f**kin awesome
FooFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2003, 10:29   #48
Zeus
True Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by FooFighter
I have never had problems with ntl, i started of 2 years ago on the ntl dialup which i believe was free u only payed for line rental @ £10. A few months after discovering PA i recieved a letter from ntl saying "u r one off or maybe the highest dial up user customer we have" which i was pretty chuffed about, basically they wanted me to change to BB for my own benefit, also they'd install it for £25 <--- half price, after much begging i convinced the parents to change it, since ntl was gonna start charging for its dial up service it was worth it 128KBs @ £15. Many months down the line my dad got a phone call from ntl asking him to come onto their digital and leave sky, but my dad is a haggler, he got the digital cheaper than normal price and...got my BB upgraded to 600KBs for free and it would still cost £15 every month which is champion!!!
phone bill (the operaters charge a lot per min u know)

Overall BB is f**kin awesome
Damn scarey how our alike our experiances, including HOW you got your BB
Unread 30 Jan 2003, 10:49   #49
Zeus
True Gamer

Quote:
Zeus, whilst I agree that the start-up costs are non-existent (and the service whilst we were ordering it was excellent) with ntl, the service once you're actually connected is really poor.

I would quite happily pay £85 to start-up, if I was guaranteed the ability to play games online (I can't at all despite a 600k connection). In the first couple of months with ntl the connection would also go down for several days at a time.

The point is that I might as well be on a 56k for all the good it does me.

Having said that, it's nice to see you back
In my experiance, most people who have NTL broadband and complain are in the England region, dont ask me why though:-/
Thats not to say some people in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, dont have problems, as they certainly do, but I like you can only go by our own experainces and personally after 4yrs off NTL broadband, I must say I know it is better than BT ASDL. My neigbour has BT ASDL past 2yrs or so and has had a "bad" experaicne with it, dropped connection, crap pings, etc...

When we both played Unreal tournament on the same server there was on avg 20-50 ping difference in NTL faviour.
But his upload speed was better than my NTL's. End fo the day, it depends what you are using it for...gaming NTL wins, Uploading best take ASDL.

Personally and if you where seriously thinking of getting broadband, why not try NTL first? You are not on a 12 month contract as you are with BT ASDL, you have £0 install charge and you dont have to buy the £85 broadband modem as you have to do with ASDL. You get the first month free with NTL, so in fact you could try it for 3 months, only pay for 2 months @ £14.99 and if you didnt like it cancel it and get BT ASDL @ £27.99 a month + buy your broadband modem.

Just thinking it would be best of both worlds and you could then judge for yourself as NTL & BT broadband services is obviously good & bad in different areas.
Unread 30 Jan 2003, 11:08   #50
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
My problem is not with the technical fault finding and resolving, the problem is the poor wait times NTL's Call Centres take to answer the phone - And then being directed to yet another Call queue. I cannot spend an hour or two every day for a two minute conversation which I then have to end because I have to find out yet another piece of info / call yet another number.

Coming from background from working in Call Centres, I challenge that 40% of the time Contact Agents are not taking calls when they should be.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote