User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Jan 2003, 01:14   #1
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
National Anthems

Is it me or do they always choose the crap option?

Examples:

Scotland: Flower O' Scotland. Not bad but Scots Wha Ha'e would be better. Good tune and it's by Burns for added 'Jockness'.

Wales: Land of my fathers. Cracking song but Men of Harlech would be a much better choice. The inferior option wins again.

England: God Save the Queen. How do I put this...It sucks? That seems to cover it . Land of Hope and Glory or even Jerusalem are both vastly better than the current crap.

What about your country?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 01:17   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
While I don't think of the Dutch anthem as particularly catchy, I do feel it's the most appropriate 'tune' available.

All in all, I have no problem with it.
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 01:23   #3
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
i think Canada's anthem is ok.
the 'OTHER' anthem rawks (hockey night in canada)

afaik they sing 'god save the queen' here too though (at stuff like Rememberance day)
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 01:26   #4
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: National Anthems

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk

Scotland: Flower O' Scotland. Not bad but Scots Wha Ha'e would be better. Good tune and it's by Burns for added 'Jockness'.

Flower of Scotland is ace when you're drunk and add in the bonus words

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 01:32   #5
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Japan's rocks a tad. Very sad and somber sounding, especially when played right next to our "HAHAHAH WE KICKED YOUR ASS BACK ACROSS THE OCEAN!!" one...
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 01:32   #6
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
"Ja vi elsker" ("Yes we make love") the norwegian anthem, rocks.
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 01:50   #7
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
flower of scotland is great.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 01:59   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
RULE BRITANNIA FOR MOD!!! ANTHEM EVEN!!!
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 02:47   #9
The_MilkMan

Quote:
Originally posted by W
*LOL* wot a brilliant way to put it

however, i have to disagree, "mil etter mil" or perhaps even "levva livet / fire pils og en pizza" would have been teh better choices, imo.
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 03:27   #10
Lord Zor
Super Trooper

Lord Zor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
Japan's rocks a tad. Very sad and somber sounding, especially when played right next to our "HAHAHAH WE KICKED YOUR ASS BACK ACROSS THE OCEAN!!" one...
Ace SandSnake
am I jump all nimbly bimly from tree to tree?am I drinking milk from a saucer?
Do you see me eating mice?
Lord Zor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 04:01   #11
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The Isle of Man is considering creating its own National Anthem and doing away with the dreadful "God save the Queen".

Im all for it.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 04:10   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Land of Hope and Glory
That would have really annoyed Elgar.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 04:35   #13
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
flower of scotland is great.
i haven't actually heard it i don't think..

BUT MY ANCESTOR WROTE IT \o/
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 07:40   #14
Crackmonkey
monkey on crack

Crackmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain T'Bolt
Those morons want Waltzing Matilda
People actually like that song?
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 07:55   #15
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Crackmonkey
People actually like that song?
Wasn't it written for an old US WW-III based movie back in like the 50s?

(I thought it wasn't, but that's what they said before they put the movie on)

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 08:18   #16
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Like I said, I thought not, but that's what the Classic Movie channel said. Perhaps they were referring to the 'modern verison'. And in case yer wondering, most of the movie took place in Australia. (Can't remember the name of it :/)

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 10:33   #17
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
The Flower of Scotland is one of the most moving, and most passionate national anthems, and it always gets people fired up, how you can have a problem with this I'll never know.

God Save The Queen is a tribute to our royal family, love them or hate them, they have provided a great deal of entertainment throughout the years, and are part of our history.
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 11:33   #18
MrMighty
Chimping

MrMighty is a jewel in the roughMrMighty is a jewel in the roughMrMighty is a jewel in the roughMrMighty is a jewel in the rough
I think for comedy value, Wales should adopt Big Pig's Breakaway as their national anthem and accept the truth.
MrMighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 12:28   #19
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

insane_in_da_membrane is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't like the Welsh anthem
mainly due to the fact that it's in Welsh
and the only phrase I know in Welsh is asking how to go to the toilet :-/

Seeing as I've lived here nearly 18 years you'd of thought i'd know the ****in anthem by now heh
insane_in_da_membrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 12:36   #20
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I like God Save the Queen.

Only when it's being sung by a bunch of football hooligans though.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 12:43   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
God Save the Queen has a crap sentiment behind it, and is also shiet musically.

If we are going to have some nice and jingoistic then clearly Land of Hope and Glory, We Will Rock You or We Are the Champions would be better.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 13:21   #22
Little Timmy
Winker

Little Timmy will become famous soon enoughLittle Timmy will become famous soon enough
Well the Flower of Scotland talks about beating the English at Bannockburn.

O flower of Scotland
When will we see
Your like again
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen
And stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

However "God Save the Queen" actually has 6 versus and the sixth is rather interesting

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

Personally Flower of Scotland is a better and more rousing anthem. Sung to pipes and drums at any Scottish Festival it is unbeatable.....shame the scots werent.

Yeah so what Im an Original Pr0nstar

some of us have serious jobs
Little Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 15:01   #23
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light
Our (Dutch) national anthem glorifies Willem van Oranje, whose family was declared royal after the end of the war with Spain.

fck them.
mpr0733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 15:23   #24
Nem3sis
Planetarion Radio DJ

Nem3sis is an unknown quantity at this point
general consensus Scots > English
Nem3sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 15:29   #25
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by W
hahaha.
pld
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 16:46   #26
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
i think we should

go with Billy Connolly's suggestion and have "the archers" as the english anthem...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 00:44   #27
Little Timmy
Winker

Little Timmy will become famous soon enoughLittle Timmy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by mpr0733
Our (Dutch) national anthem glorifies Willem van Oranje, whose family was declared royal after the end of the war with Spain.

fck them.

Well that means that the catholics of Ireland and of Scotland would hate all dutch people. As singing about "king Billy" is deemd racist and provocative in Scotland and Northern Ireland

Yeah so what Im an Original Pr0nstar

some of us have serious jobs
Little Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 12:30   #28
LISELOTTE
sucking young blood

LISELOTTE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by W
i think 'ja vi elsker' sucks major ****... 'oppi fjellet' would be a better choice imho.

Tho.. the only anthem that is concidered to have some musical value at all in the world atm, would be the russian one.. that one utterly rocks!
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 12:41   #29
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
The best place to listen to Flower of Scotland is Murrayfield during a Calcutta cup game.

I was there in 1990, and I can still remember the buzz to this day.

Quote:
O Flower of Scotland
When will we see
Your like again
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen
And stood against them
Proud Edward's Army
And sent them homeward
To think again

Those hills are bare now
And Autumn leaves
Lie thick and still
For land that is lost now
Which those so dearly held
That stood against them
Proud Edward's Army
And sent them homeward
To think again

Those Days are past now
And in the past
They must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again
That stood against them
Proud Edward's Army
And sent them homeward
To think again
Makes the blood pound just thinking about it.
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 12:55   #30
Monkeypimp
Banned

Monkeypimp is an unknown quantity at this point
God defend New Zealand is great.

Its even better now that they've made it twice as long by officially adding the Maori version to it. Its amusing listening to foreign sports pre-game anthem singers trying to get their mouths around the Maori bit.
Monkeypimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 13:12   #31
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

Quote:

England: God Save the Queen. How do I put this...It sucks? That seems to cover it . Land of Hope and Glory or even Jerusalem are both vastly better than the current crap.
I thought land of hope and glory IS the anthem of england,
and 'God save the queen' the BRITISH one?
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 13:23   #32
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Dont get me all confused.
Afaik, God Save The Queen is the ENGLISH anthem, which also gets used as the UK anthem when necessary.
Britiain includes Wales and Scotland, both of whome have thier own anthems.
Not sure if Northern Ireland has one.

Anyway, regardless of who it belongs to, it's still A COMPLETE PILE OF BADNESS!

If someone would put national anthem words to Nimrod, then I'd be more than happy to sing that - it's a very suitable composition I think. But then, perhaps Elgar would be pissed (again).

Unread 20 Jan 2003, 19:07   #33
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

The Star Spangled Banner is a crumby anthem. Borrowed melody; octave and a half range; bizarre lyric. It was only picked because cartoonist Robert Ripley pointed out in one of his Believe It or Not cartoons in 1938 that the US didn't have a national anthem and in the scramble to find something we got stuck with TSSB.

God Bless America has been suggested as a replacement, but it's too religious for my tastes. America the Beautiful isn't bad, though of course suffers from the same "borrowed melody" syndrome. Personally, I've always thought that Somewhere Over the Rainbow would be a fine anthem--assuming we have to have one, of course.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote