User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 4 Jul 2007, 00:12   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Phone Contract Query

Hello people, I need some advice on a situation.

I'm with Orange pay monthly - £45 a month, 900 minutes, 300 texts + 3000 texts = 3300 texts (well they call it unlimited texts but this is only 3000 - I can either get unltd texts/unltd free calls to all orange numbers or unltd landline minutes) + 1 Magic number.

Anyway, I'm 3 months into my 18 months contract and they said I can only downgrade after 9 months and I can ONLY downgrade to a £40 a month contract and NO LOWER.

Can I oppose this? What gift of the gab can I say to make them lower it? Can I request to downgrade before this 9 month period?

Thanks guys.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 00:28   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Phone Contract Query

What are the contract early termination charges and would it be cheaper to pay those, and go with a cheaper contract - even with another provider?
you might want to casually mention you were thinking about it as a last resort and see what offer they come back to you with
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 00:33   #3
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

most phone contracts make you pay what left on the contract to buy it out... so thats not really an option here.
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 04:57   #4
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

40£ a month is awfully much for a phone bill. It doesn't include a phone, does it now? There are no open-ended schemes in UK? (Ie. I'm paying 0.069e per month, plus 0.069e per minute, plus 0.069e per text, with no fixed costs other than the 0.069 monthly).
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 06:29   #5
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

I have read the terms for Orange and the best you can get is the 1000 minutes plus 1 "Unlimited" item for the same £45 a month you are paying.

If you cancel they will charge you £45 a month for each remaining month on your contract. Basically they have you by the balls.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 09:57   #6
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

basically why the hell did you take out a contract for that much?
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 10:36   #7
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Contracts don't exist so you can change them halfway down the line, sorry
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 10:48   #8
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Cheers guys. Guess I'm in the shits then!
----------retired-------
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 10:48   #9
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
40£ a month is awfully much for a phone bill. It doesn't include a phone, does it now? There are no open-ended schemes in UK? (Ie. I'm paying 0.069e per month, plus 0.069e per minute, plus 0.069e per text, with no fixed costs other than the 0.069 monthly).
It does - N95 and the price I'm paying covers insurance.
----------retired-------
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 11:17   #10
PureviL
robdash!

PureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to beholdPureviL is a splendid one to behold

How can you expect to downgrade your contract so soon if you get a free phone with it?

You know the reason you got the free phone is because you are paying way to much every month..
It is ridiculous to claim that video games influence children. For instance, if PacMan affected kids born in the 80s, we should by now have a bunch of teenagers who run around in darkened rooms eating pills while listening to monotonous electronic music.
PureviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 11:50   #11
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureviL
You know the reason you got the free phone is because you are paying way to much every month..
I guess it depends. In here, the contracts are minimum 24 months, appears in UK you can get them on shorter contracts too. I'd suppose even on a 24 month contract you might get it cheaper if the minutes and text counts fit your needs. Otherwise, you probably get ripped. Plus, the phones are usually SIM-locked if you get them with a contract (here at least), so the resale value is way lower.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 12:07   #12
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
I guess it depends. In here, the contracts are minimum 24 months, appears in UK you can get them on shorter contracts too. I'd suppose even on a 24 month contract you might get it cheaper if the minutes and text counts fit your needs. Otherwise, you probably get ripped. Plus, the phones are usually SIM-locked if you get them with a contract (here at least), so the resale value is way lower.
i like Finnish society. It seems to be a little bit, you know. Stupid.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 16:38   #13
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
Anyway, I'm 3 months into my 18 months contract and they said I can only downgrade after 9 months and I can ONLY downgrade to a £40 a month contract and NO LOWER.

Can I oppose this? What gift of the gab can I say to make them lower it? Can I request to downgrade before this 9 month period?

Thanks guys.
Basically, no, nothing and no.

It's stated in the terms & conditions that you can only downgrade after the 9 months period.

Whether it says that you can't go lower than £40 a month is something I do not know. They should have made it clear to you at the beginning prior to agreeing on the contract IF it is part of the deal/T&C of that particular deal/handset. If they didn't tell you that then, by common law (I think), you have a broken contract on their behalf.

Handsets are so expensive nowadays that networks don't allow tariff downward migration until a certain point (in which case, 9 months or above) simply to cover for the cost of the "free" handset.

Count yourself lucky. Three don't allow you to downgrade at all. If you insisted, you'd have to pay £25 one tariff step down at a time (every month).
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 21:09   #14
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
Basically
Cheers Blast0 for the detailed explanation.

Btw, you heard about the massive Phones4u scam?
----------retired-------
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 16:32   #15
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

You're so late Androme. That scam existed forever.

It's really quiet now though. A lot of people either got sacked or they resigned because they knew they were going to be sacked.
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 18:01   #16
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

What was the scam?
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 18:04   #17
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

UK people are pwned
Here they are not allowed to give contracts longer then 12 months on mobiles, and you can cancel it for a onetimefee.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2007, 22:50   #18
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
That scam existed forever.
Oh. I've only just started making my money on it. Heh.
----------retired-------
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 00:20   #19
Blastoderm
________

Androme, I'm not sure the full details about downgrading your tariff but I think you can do it one tariff step down every month.

So one month, it'll be £40, the next month it'll be £35, etc.

I'll confirm it with a mate who works in the Orange shop.
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 18:43   #20
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I probably use 300 minutes and 300 texts up in a quiet week.