User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Aug 2003, 15:51   #1
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
The Norwegian army will not be taking me away

I will not spend a year being disciplined by nationalistic drop outs two years older than me. I will not suffer the the sadistic whims of a bitter troop leader who has been arguing with his wife all weekend about his obsession with German WW2 gun systems.

However, unless the state forgets about me or the system is disbanded, I'll have to spend a year working in some kind of social institution for practically no payment at all some time in the far, far future.

Am I wise?

Matrim
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 15:55   #2
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
join the army, it fun and you can be in there for a few month without any long-term-damage.
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:08   #3
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Toccata & Fugue
Never work for the army or the police. Ever.
He doesn't have a choice. In Norge you have to either do Army or Civil service.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:09   #4
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question

Why on earth would Norway need a military? Actually, why would it need a police force?

What are the criminals going to steal? Conifers?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:18   #5
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
just join the civil service then, cant you claim to be a pacifist? or come to britain to study until the time limit on the thing runs out. Practically every student i know from countries (spain, italy, greece etc) that have national service used to try and find some way to stay here it was but also rather why cant those faggots get a proper professional army. And i dont think iceland has an army iirc america agreed to defend them but now the cold war is over they see no use in staying there and iceland is scared somone will invade to steal their putrified shark/whales/whatever that they eat.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:18   #6
BarbieKen

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
Why on earth would Norway need a military? Actually, why would it need a police force?

What are the criminals going to steal? Conifers?
Voted Mr. "Too funny to survive"
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:18   #7
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question

Quote:
Civil service is fine. Just not army or police.
Why?
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:20   #8
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Norwegian army will not be taking me away

Quote:
Originally posted by Matrim
I will not spend a year being disciplined by nationalistic drop outs two years older than me. I will not suffer the the sadistic whims of a bitter troop leader who has been arguing with his wife all weekend about his obsession with German WW2 gun systems.

However, unless the state forgets about me or the system is disbanded, I'll have to spend a year working in some kind of social institution for practically no payment at all some time in the far, far future.

Am I wise?

Matrim
No.
Besides, your CO might be younger than you...
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:23   #9
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by BarbieKen
Voted Mr. "Too funny to survive"
WHEN-ARE-YOU-GOING-TO-DIE, MR-FAG-O-RAMA?
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:25   #10
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Well mainly becasue they are thugs hired by the state as agents of oppression, who represent a political elite rather than the best interests of the people.
As opposed to the civil service?
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:30   #11
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i work in the british civil service by choice
ph33r m3h
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:31   #12
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question

Quote:
The civil service are not thugs, mindless ideologues, and petty beureacrats maybe, but not thugs. And they don't wear uniforms, at least not in my office.
Why does it matter whether or not they use violence, if they are all using their abilities to hold up the same system?
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:34   #13
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Which department?

I work in the British civil service cos I need the money.

hehehehe

full job title:

i am a civil servant working in the local delivery section of the cultural services department of durham county council. (this is what i am meant to say if anyone asks, seriously, we got a memo about it last year!)

short version:

i'm an assistant librarian. (which describes my job a hell of a lot better if you ask me)
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:37   #14
W
Gubbish

Quote:
OK admittedly there is the whole Banality of evil thing but I think there are two important differences:

1. I don't actuallly have to shoot people, pick on black people for a living.

2. The explicit aim of the police and the army is to preserve the status quo and tread on the masses. The civil service may also do this but at leaset have the decency to pretend to be doing something else.
What, you're complaining cause the police and the army aren't revolutionaries?!?

It's not like if you're a cop you have to vote against any legislation change.
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:39   #15
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Neither do a lot of police. Not that this matters, because ultimately the civil service is the administrative arm of government and thereby is fundamental to the sustanence of the system. If you think that the system is wholly morally bankrupt, then working for the civil service is simple pragmatism and/or hypocrisy.

Quote:
2. The explicit aim of the police and the army is to preserve the status quo
Define 'status quo'.

Quote:
and tread on the masses.
How do they do this, exactly?

Quote:
The civil service may also do this but at leaset have the decency to pretend to be doing something else.
Well, that makes all the difference!
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:49   #16
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
That's my perspective.
True, an SS officer is obviously going to have more complicity in the criminality of a regime, than, say, a clerk who works for a health quango.

Ultimately this is a matter of degrees. It would depend on whether you were there as a pragmatist who was using the system for whatever good can be gained to affect society, or whether you were fairly politically apathetic. For instance, if the clerk is involved in adminitering a involuntary euthanasia programme, and is sympathetic or compliant, would we still view them in the same light? No, of course not.

Unless you can truely distance yourself from a position that is useful in upholding the system, but is still related to the state, then I don't think you can fully claim to be still personally 'pure' ideologically. And I don't thinkt hat the civil service would generally be a benevolent factor that didn't serve to uphold the state.
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:57   #17
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Most laws are regressive, they focus on the weak and the poor and the desperate. The police spend a disproportionate amount of time picking on petty criminals, children and immigrants, in fact anyone that doesn't conform to the state agenda.
Well, all this is mostly unsubtantiated value-opinion so I'll just leave that.

Quote:
The police showed their colours most vividly during the miners strike and the Toksteth(sp?) riots,
The Police are just there to enforce the law. They are just as likely to come into conflict with mindless idiots as they are with people with political motives.

The only reason that they haven't clashed with more right-wing rioters, etc in recent times is that simply the far right etc have not had a sufficently large enough street presence to cause such trouble.

Quote:
The British army are basically terrorists.
How?

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 12 Aug 2003 at 17:03.
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:59   #18
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Most laws are regressive, they focus on the weak and the poor and the desperate. The police spend a disproportionate amount of time picking on petty criminals, children and immigrants, in fact anyone that doesn't conform to the state agenda. The police showed their colours most vividly during the miners strike and the Toksteth(sp?) riots, but there are many everyday incidents of oppression that would not be tolerated by richer or more prominant members of society. The police are essentially the paramilitary wing of the liberal government whose job is to protect property from the majority.

The British army are basically terrorists.
Did you know, this forum for a norwegian-developed game actually contains people NOT living in the UK?
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 17:02   #19
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
Quote:
OK admittedly there is the whole Banality of evil thing but I think there are two important differences:

2. The explicit aim of the police and the army is to preserve the status quo and tread on the masses. The civil service may also do this but at leaset have the decency to pretend to be doing something else.
Random man - "Oi, you didn't beat up that black person did you?"
Man in power - "No, no, don't be silly, I don't do that for a living"
Random man - "Phew, thank god for that, so he's ok then?"
Man in power - "Oh no, he's pulp. I had a policeman do it for me"

DO YOU SEE?

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 17:03   #20
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
Im from norway, and no way im going tonthe military.

First ill postpone it due to studies, and if they want me then, ill just show up drunk, or wet my pants on the first day.
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 17:08   #21
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

My girlfriend's friend is half-Norwegian.

True story.
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 17:15   #22
BarbieKen

Quote:
WHEN-ARE-YOU-GOING-TO-DIE, MR-FAG-O-RAMA?
Well, Norway has an average lifespan on males at aprox. 75 years.
Considering that I'm 23 and nothing bad happens to me, I've got some 52 years left. I'm not even half way there yet!

Last edited by BarbieKen; 12 Aug 2003 at 17:21.
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 17:20   #23
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
As for MM's "the police are there to enforce the law" I think you give them to much credit. Also surely they serve the Government rather than the people.
Well, technically under a democracy the government are only representative of the people.

Quote:
As any school child will tell you, the primary role of Government is protect property from the majority.
In other, words, most governments don't nationalise everything that moves?

Quote:
I think if want evidence we need only look at the disproportionate number of poor people in prison.
Poor people are the ones mostly in prison because poor people are the ones that more often than not are forced into crime by a complete lack of any real social provision or improvement.

It's not un-socialist to say that poor people are the members of society who are the ones that commit crime most often and have a greater propensity to do so; on the contrary, it's simply recognising that poverty is a social disease that is a degrading blight on society.

They arent being specially 'victimised' by the government, except through a lack of action to improve the sort of conditions that breed crime.

Quote:
As for the British army being terrorists, it seems self-evident: Bloody Sunday and decades of oppression in Northern Ireland, trained the Khmer Rouge, invasion of Sierra Leone, bombing of Iraqi civilians (before and during the war) to name but a few incidents.
A lot of that is based on a politically emotional idea of what terrorism is.
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 17:21   #24
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by BarbieKen
Well, Norway has an average lifespan on males at aprox. 75 years.
Considering that I'm 23 and nothing bad happens to me, I've got some 52 years left. I'm not even half way there yet!
Are you flammable?
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 17:30   #25
BarbieKen

Quote:
Are you flammable?
No, but I'm one hell of a BBQ party guest!
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 17:35   #26
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Never work for the Norwegian army or the police. Ever.
Why not?
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 17:38   #27
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Well, technically under a democracy the government are only representative of the people.
I was of the understanding that technically under a democracy the government were elected to make decisions which follow the will of the people. Surely the government can only truly be representative of the people under an anarcho-syndicalist or similar system?
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 17:48   #28
roadrunner_0
cynic

Quote:
So are an actual Civil Servant then? Or are you a local Governemnt worker.
technically a local government worker, but we have to say we are civil servants, i dont know why, i will see if i can dig out a copy of the memo, i havent had a good laugh at it in a while
so i am so used to saying it, that i generally just say i'm a civil servant now, even though its technically wrong, in fact, i think it even says in my profile on here that i am a civil servant, and i know my bank has me down as a civil servant, as i was in to see my bank manager today
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 17:50   #29
roadrunner_0
cynic

totally, but they pay my bills and let me go drinking, so i forgive them their sins

edit: as an aside, you know i was damning you the other day for having 2meg adsl? well we are getting it next week \o/ so
(can you tell im happy now)
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 18:07   #30
roadrunner_0
cynic

possibly nildram i think, but i will have to check when i get home, as im not taking care of that, one of my flatmates is
as to pricing, the jolt banner at the top of the page gives you a link to their site, its something like £60 installation and £60 a month, which we can easily afford
(but a 150 gig a month d/l cap though )
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 19:14   #31
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light
Go Go Matrim.

Fulfill your future ****ty job with pride and smile at every and any soldier you'll ever see.

Rather that than having to listen to bulldogs, being bored to death and having to perform all kinds of ****ty tasks.
mpr0733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 21:11   #32
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
has norways army actually done anything ever
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 21:41   #33
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathjam
It got defeated by Germany in WWII

Can't think of anything else.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 21:53   #34
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Re: Re: The Norwegian army will not be taking me away

Quote:
Originally posted by W
No.
Besides, your CO might be younger than you...

So I take it you did your duty for king and country.

Though I must admit that if you'd said that you went to prison for 3 months in stead I would not have been surprised.

Matrim
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 21:57   #35
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker

Actually we fight a little known war against gigant squid in the depths of the ocean. Glory to us. Not that I want any part of it.

Matrim
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 04:49   #36
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: The Norwegian army will not be taking me away

Quote:

Though I must admit that if you'd said that you went to prison for 3 months in stead I would not have been surprised.

Matrim
So there's a third option then?

T&F: While a country might get away without an army in some cases (like Iceland), a country with no police is anarchy. I'd rather have them 'treading on my masses' than having random people walk in my house and shooting me every other day, thank you very much.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 07:38   #37
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker

And it's to prevent things like that from happening again that we HAVE a defence. We're not able to invade anyone, or even prevent a massive invasion from a larger nation focusing on invading us. What we can do, is making an invasion horribly expensive and annoying, and work as a deterrent against seeing us as a target of opportunity/strategy.
Quote:

I volunteered for home guard service, and got 6 months training. If you don't want to waste a whole year not studying/working/whatever, you should consider it. It's the most interesting and most important part of our defence.
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 08:22   #38
Orean

Orean is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
A bit predjudiced, aren't we? Most of the officers there aren't even married; they're first/second year out of officer training, and eager to be as evul to the newcomers as their officers were to them when they started
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 09:48   #39
BarbieKen

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathjam
We are N.A.T.O. members. We have sent troops to Afghanistan, Iraq, Bosnia, Kosovo etc. Stop beeing so ****ty.

Norwegian special forces are ranked among top 3 come rough terrain fighting and winter warfare.
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 10:14   #40
BarbieKen

Quote:
NATO= Big shower of bastards
It's a big shower 'made out' of bastards?

It's a Shower of big bastards?

It's a Big bastard of showering?

It's a of big showering bastards?

I can't be arsed to do more, nor do I get your point.
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 11:00   #41
BarbieKen

Quote:
Like a rain shower, but instead of rain, bastards.
Does that mean it's like showering in/with bastards?

Does it make you clean, or are you making a sarcastic remark about the effect of showering?
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 11:00   #42
W
Gubbish

Quote:
ROFL
Alright, so I'm biased, and was propped full of propaganda during training, but there certainly is something to it.
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 11:20   #43
BarbieKen

Quote:
When was the last time anyone tried to invade Norway?
The 1940's. Because we had not maintained a defensive force we where easily defeated.
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 11:25   #44
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
one of my friends (who went back to germany this morning actually) was working for a low paid civil service type thing in this country for a year. He enjoyed it, so did almost all of the others... And in any case. it cant be worse than the army.
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 11:33   #45
BarbieKen

Quote:
That's a bit of a circular argument:

We have to have a large army to prevent attack.
But we haven't been attacked?
That's because we have a large army?

Besides who are the threat to Norway? Denmark, Holland, Sweden? I realise these all militaristic nations desperate to captur your mobile phone companies and Fjords(sp?) but they aren't that scary are they?
We are sucking up more oil than most of europe combined. We have a strategic coast line. We have loads of fish.
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 11:34   #46
I Am Grimble
lol

I Am Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'll have to spend a year working in some kind of social institution for practically no payment at all some time in the far, far future.
I never had to do that. I just showed up at the base, then got discharged and ****ed off to Spain for a holiday instead.

Remember to think happy thoughts
I Am Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 11:35   #47
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice
Quote:
That's a bit of a circular argument:

We have to have a large army to prevent attack.
But we haven't been attacked?
That's because we have a large army?

Besides who are the threat to Norway? Denmark, Holland, Sweden? I realise these all militaristic nations desperate to captur your mobile phone companies and Fjords(sp?) but they aren't that scary are they?
So they have to be invaded in order to have an army to prevent invasion.....?

And Norway is known for it's cell phones?
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 11:38   #48
BarbieKen

Quote:
Originally posted by Ärketrollmannen

And Norway is known for it's cell phones?
He's just giving the general twat reply's. Take no offence, for he does not know bettter.
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 11:46   #49
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ärketrollmannen
Invasions don't generally spring out of nowhere. This is why you have entire government depts dedicated to looking at possible strategic threats. Some kind of standing army might have been justified in the cold-war period, but I don't get it today.

Israel would be insane not to have some form of standing army at this exact moment, for example (for obvious reasons). Britain (I'd argue) and Norway (potentially, I don't know or care enough tbh) probably don't need one. These things aren't exactly complicated.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 11:50   #50
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Invasions don't generally spring out of nowhere. This is why you have entire government depts dedicated to looking at possible strategic threats. Some kind of standing army might have been justified in the cold-war period, but I don't get it today.

Israel would be insane not to have some form of standing army at this exact moment, for example (for obvious reasons). Britain (I'd argue) and Norway (potentially, I don't know or care enough tbh) probably don't need one. These things aren't exactly complicated.
Norway is part of NATO, I believe they have sworn to protect the other NATO countries and as such they HAVE to have some kind of military force.
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote