User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 22 Jul 2003, 00:09   #1
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
When we all die because of gamma radiation

Okay, that was the shocking headliner, now I'll continue with the opening sentence, and now that's done with.

So lately I've read an article series discussing the various ways our precious earth can be made completely inhospitable for the human beings, that is us.

One of the articles was about when huge stars go off and send out beams of frying radiation in two directions. If one of those directions point right at planet earth, and if the star is big enough and close enough, we all get fried with powerfull gamma radiation and even some worse stuff that I can't remember.

Of course, this isn't happening very often, as I'm sure you've noticed by now. But it kind of turns me off that matters that are in such a huge grade out of our controll can erase us from the universe just like that.

I can't wait till we've read enough sci-fi books to build a some kind of huge shield to protect us though.

Point is that our existance is kind of fragile, and that makes me think that such is the way of nature, and there's nothing to complain about. Just like when I found a net of spider-eggs outside my house and figured I'd prevent a future invasion by crushing them all.

Please add something.

Matrim

Last edited by Matrim; 22 Jul 2003 at 00:24.
Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 00:13   #2
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
These go off pointing in our direction quite often actually. If they didn't we would not detect the gamma radiation they emmit.......

What you mean to say, I presume, is if one were to go off in our galaxy and we were in the path of one of these gamma bursts we would be fried. Yes.
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 00:22   #3
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, it was the 'us not alive anymore' part I meant didn't happen often.

However please add something else.

Matrim
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 00:23   #4
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Life's a bitch, then your planet's vaporized. :|
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 00:23   #5
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
Well I saw something on TV about this roughly 2 or 3 years ago so I could always add 'old'.

I won't though.
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 01:14   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: When we all die because of gamma radiation

Quote:
Originally posted by Matrim
I can't wait till we've read enough sci-fi books to build a some kind of huge shield to protect us though.
If you're going to go as far as reading science fiction you might as well just roleplay 'not dying in a horrible flesh-dissolving way' along with your roleplaying pals.
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 02:54   #7
Jammers

Jammers has a little shameless behaviour in the past
We could try detonating nuclear warheads near the moon to move its orbit to block the radiation. Then we just need to detonate more nuclear weapons near the Earth to dodge the radiation from the Moon.
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 04:54   #8
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

i refuse to get vaporised by gamma radiation. im going down the giant asteroid route instead.
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 08:10   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I won't die if I get subjected to gamma radiation; instead, when I'm not angry, I'll turn into a small mild mannered scientist.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 08:34   #10
Zapman
Homesick

Zapman is an unknown quantity at this point
Well that's nice and all, but does anybody know the odds of this actually happening? I'd like to know if I can expect to die tomorrow etc.
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 09:27   #11
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Life's a bitch, then your planet's vaporized. :|
I don't think the whole planet would be vaporised, just the surface...
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 09:37   #12
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If we're ever threatened by an alien invasion threatening to take over the planet and control our minds in order to milk our brain-stems for our juicy thoughts, all we'd have to do is send a link to GD as an example of the planets thought capacity.
If that didn't either scare them off or reduce them to hopeless apathy and thus cancel the invasion because 'invading planets is so 2458, d00d'

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 12:56   #13
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
LOL YOUR MOM WOULD SCARE THEM AWAY.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote