User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 22 Apr 2005, 10:16   #1
Cloud

Cloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Question to all you intelligent people out here

The title isn't meant to be ironic, seriously. Anyway, I'm going to some kind of debating contest tomorrow and I need the ancient Greek translation of something Herodotus said. I don't know the exact translation in English, but it would be something like:

Too much confidence (hybris) will lead to your downfall (For you Dutchies: Hoogmoed komt voor de val).

Since my **** of a teacher is too lazy to translate if for me, and since I have reached the point at which I'm about to throw my laptop out of a 10-story-building(google isn't cooperating), I thought I'd ask you lot, as you are, usually , quite intelligent.

Anyways, if you can help me out I will most certainly refrain from sending my scary 17 spiders up yo ass.

Tnx
Razzmatazz (yeah, I'm using Cloud's account, sue me )

A proud member of DYB, the secret alliance
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 10:49   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Question to all you intelligent people out here

Sounds like the origins of 'pride comes before a fall'. Leshy can read Greek, can't he?

LESHY! LESH!
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 10:56   #3
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Or "Your over-confidence is your weakness".
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 11:34   #4
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
Sounds like the origins of 'pride comes before a fall'. Leshy can read Greek, can't he?

LESHY! LESH!
Yeah, thanks, I believe that's the one. In fact, I'm sure of it. But does anyone know the ancient Greek translation of it (by means of a quote book or something)

Oh and, the knowledge of languages is directly connected to being intelligent since the purple hedgehog refused to paint the blind duck blue with chopsticks

Unread 22 Apr 2005, 11:35   #5
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
Since when is the knowledge of languages directly connected with being intelligent.
when was the last time you met a multilingual idiot?
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 11:43   #6
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi

That's not a rarity.
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 11:51   #7
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Idiocy is generally construed as a lack of common sense.

There are about 300 multi-lingual idiots at my uni.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 11:58   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
/waves
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 12:53   #9
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

an idiot rather than someone behaving like one

n : a person of subnormal intelligence
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 13:49   #10
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothos
Or "Your over-confidence is your weakness".
Your faith in your friends is yours
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 13:55   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I imagine either leshy or proteus might be able to help you out here!
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 14:19   #12
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud
Too much confidence (hybris) will lead to your downfall (For you Dutchies: Hoogmoed komt voor de val).
Hybris leads to nemesis (destruction). I don't know how to say it all in greek, but there's one more word for ya. Also I found some other Heredotus' concepts in greek:

'Ta genomena ex anthropon,' Herodotus's attempt to record human achievements and also 'erga megala te kai thomoasta' (great and marvelous deeds).
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 14:28   #13
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You can find Solon's words, which are quoted in Athen's political works, so that might help. He said: 'For excess (koros) breeds insolence (hybris), when great prosperity comes to those who are of unsound mind.' Anyhow I have to do some work, but if you find the standard greek Herodoti Historiae and find the part on Solon and Chroesus you should find it.
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 14:29   #14
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh don't turn his question into a debate about what constitues intelligence.

I think we all know that anyone who wants to discuss it is NOT intelligent, as we have covered the topic so many times. That's the best indicator for whether you are or not
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 14:36   #15
zakoff
Evul Critter

zakoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The title isn't meant to be ironic, seriously. Anyway, I'm going to some kind of debating contest tomorrow and I need the ancient Greek translation of something Herodotus said. I don't know the exact translation in English, but it would be something like:

Since my **** of a teacher is too lazy to translate if for me, and since I have reached the point at which I'm about to throw my laptop out of a 10-story-building(google isn't cooperating), I thought I'd ask you lot, as you are, usually , quite intelligent.

Anyways, if you can help me out I will most certainly refrain from sending my scary 17 spiders up yo ass.

Tnx
Razzmatazz (yeah, I'm using Cloud's account, sue me )

any idea where exactly it is? I have a Ancient Greek/English copy of the histories so i should be able to get it for you.
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 15:15   #16
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Most of the Historie is filled with references to the hubris of various rulers and their inevitable downfall because of it, but I can't really think of a single quote which basically states this outright and as bluntly as you're looking for.

The closest one I was able to find quickly is this one, although I don't think it's entirely what you need:

3.80 III: Insolence is created in him by the good things to hand, while from birth envy is rooted in man.
ἐγγίνεται μὲν γάρ οἱ ὕβρις ὑπὸ τω̂ν παρεόντων ἀγαθω̂ν, φθόνος δὲ ἀρχη̂θεν ἐμφύεται ἀνθρώπω

I'll see if I can find any others.
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 15:30   #17
Cloud

Well, first of all, thanks to all of you for your willingness to help. The sentence you gave Leshy is not quite the one I'm looking for, nevertheless, thanks anyway.

If it is indeed true what s|k says, that it might be found in "Hai Historiae"'s part in which Solon talks to Croesus, than it probably will be written in Book I, 28-35. I wouldn't know however, because the only original Greek texts I have (or texts in any other language for that matter) are parts of the last books and the proomion.

Razzmatazz

PS: Yeah, multilingual ppl are probably not idiots, but some of them sure do behave as one. Take me as an example; I speak three languages and still I have been so stupid as to participate in a debating contest

Last edited by Cloud; 22 Apr 2005 at 15:46.
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 18:21   #18
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMak
Your faith in your friends is yours
"It is pointless to resist, my son."

"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends up there on the Sanctuary Moon,,, are walking into a trap! As is your Rebel fleet! It was I who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them."

etc.
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 19:14   #19
Cloud

SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY

I just called up my Latin&Greek teacher and there seems to have been a misunderstanding. 3 Years ago, the subject for the final Greek examination was: "Hybris and Herodotus; pride comes for a fall" So, that's why we both thought that the saying should have been in Greek and that it originated from Herodotus.

However, Nantoz was right, it's a biblical saying. My teacher just told me that he found out, after having done some research, that it originates from the Old Testament; Proverbs 16:18. And the orginal sentence isn't even in Greek, it's in Hebrew.

So; finally I can rest my mind and prepare for tomorrow's tournament. I am terribly sorry for all those who tried to help me by researching Herodotus.

Cheers for your help
Razzmatazz

Unread 22 Apr 2005, 19:25   #20
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
My teacher just told me that he found out,

after having done some research,

that it originates from the Old Testament; Proverbs 16:18. And the orginal sentence isn't even in Greek, it's in Hebrew.

at this point we lose faith in the inteligence of your teacher.
Unread 23 Apr 2005, 03:31   #21
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
at this point we lose faith in the intelligence of your teacher.
but we never loose faith in you
Unread 23 Apr 2005, 13:44   #22
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
but we never loose faith in you
Everyone trusts a lawyer
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2005, 17:48   #23
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY

I just called up my Latin&Greek teacher and there seems to have been a misunderstanding. 3 Years ago, the subject for the final Greek examination was: "Hybris and Herodotus; pride comes for a fall" So, that's why we both thought that the saying should have been in Greek and that it originated from Herodotus.

However, Nantoz was right, it's a biblical saying. My teacher just told me that he found out, after having done some research, that it originates from the Old Testament; Proverbs 16:18. And the orginal sentence isn't even in Greek, it's in Hebrew.

So; finally I can rest my mind and prepare for tomorrow's tournament. I am terribly sorry for all those who tried to help me by researching Herodotus.

Cheers for your help
Razzmatazz
what is it in greek then?

SING FOR ME, OH GODESS, THE WRATH OF PELEUS SON ACHILLES!
Unread 23 Apr 2005, 20:58   #24
Cloud

Wouldn't know. All I know is that the Hebrew for it is

Welifnee kisjolon govah roah
(comes before) (fall) (hybris)

Not that knowing it did me any good ffs. I'm such an ass, it's incredible. Made it to the finals, was #1 in all the preliminary rouds, was this --> ( . ) close to succesfully defending my title and then, in the finals, the only subject I hadn't prepared was the final subject, ffs.

Oh, and don't start that Iliad shit with me, it brings back bad memories. Bezing de wrok godin, des Peliden Achilles, de verderfelijke, die talloze smarten bracht aan de grieken en talloze zielen aan Hades prijsgaf, van helden, en henzelf maakte tot prooi voor de honden en alle roofvogels, en Zeus' wil werd ten uitvoer gebracht. Fs, don't even get me started, or I'll seriously have to go to a shrink.

But, as far as the sentence in greek goes.
It's probably something like
"hubris anti (?fall?) erchetai"

Cheers
Razz

PS: Oh, and thank ur sister for me for finding me quotes which were in some of my best speeches, which I unfortunately couldn't do at the tourny.