User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Apr 2004, 02:51   #101
Vitiok

Re: Mentor Team

I strongly support Alch on his idea here. Members of the small alliances (like us for example) need some help to get started, otherwise they are blocked from ever rising in score. Mentors will help bringing more experienced players to the game, and which will also make PA more and more interesting game for all of us.
Unread 23 Apr 2004, 05:30   #102
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieker Jan
hi
i've read this topic with great interest as it's about newbies like me
i've seen some (in my opinion) good idears and on the other hand some of you don't give the newbies enough credit. But thats a hole nother ballgame.
my suggestion is don't start at the alliances. Start at the base and put a mentor (or at least a vet) in every gal. that way its in the best interest of the mentors not to use his gal.m8s as bate and will do everything in his power to make it a big gal cause he needs the def. On the other hand he can stil be in his own alliance
and there's nothing wrong with recruitment.

I had major help from my own GC when started. he helped me learnin to get around and helpin with the choise of an all. and i'm learnin every day (this mssge is a first as well). I think you should start here cause when ya have solid players the solid alliances will follow.

well thats how i think about the topic

P.s. excuse ma english i'm better at speakin it
You are right of course that you have to start at the playerlevel, before you start with the alliances. People that start generally don't have an alliance (if they do they might even not be in our target group as it would indicate close contact with another player, who could take care of the mentoring role).
Placing a mentor in each galaxy would be pretty hard as there are ~200 random galaxies atm. There are not enough mentors.
It is a lot of work and difficulty to get a good contact going with many of the new player. That's why it should be facilitated as far as possible. There has been spoken in the past about a PA IRC client. This might help a bit. I already mentioned a special message button and an automated welcoming message by the mentor team. If you have enough mentors, you might even consider a personal welcoming message. You could make replying to it a quest.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2004, 12:50   #103
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieker Jan
Start at the base and put a mentor (or at least a vet) in every gal
this is what random galaxies hoped to achieve. the problem is that active and intellegent newbies are hard to come by. in addition, without an alliance even an active and intellegent newbie is pretty much dead weight.

at the end of the day, without an alliance or some other method of getting defence there's little point playing planetarion.

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2004, 21:13   #104
Kieker Jan

Kieker Jan can only hope to improve

Yeah but I had an alliance (fairly one) in 2 days that i was playin, and because i got good idears from my GC and my all i was able to become a fairly player pretty quick. I'd say don't give the option to choose a GC but appoint one (atleast for like 200 ticks or so) in that time an experianced member can form a gal to a good structered machine. at least good enough to keep each other safe. then especialy in the beginnin when travel is to slow, you dont have to relie(?) on an all.
Unread 23 Apr 2004, 21:43   #105
Citizen Kabuto

Citizen Kabuto is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea a lot though it will take some work .
Even an experienced player cannot be online 24/7 watching and helping inexperienced players.
Fortunately this round i have mostly good , active players inthe galaxy.
On the downside it is impossible to stop the silly ones launching suicde fleets as a retal .
Or not replying to messages or posts on forums etc.
Not withstanding that one or two of the planets are there just to spy, scan or whatever else comes to mind.
Citizen Kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2004, 01:15   #106
Kieker Jan

Kieker Jan can only hope to improve

i'm an inexperianced player
but there's also something like common sense
and everyone who played something like c&c (and who hasn't these days) knows ya have to build a solid base before ya storm in to conquer the universe and how to do that can be tought by an experianced player
the only thing that such a person would have to give up is the safety of a private gal. which would just be to push in the back to make something of the gal. and then ya don't have the problem of being biast cause it would just be a disadvancement to use your gal m8es as (for instance) bate

Last edited by Kieker Jan; 24 Apr 2004 at 08:30.
Kieker Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2004, 13:46   #107
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l
Perhaps a seperate universe for just free planets, where there are objectives to fulfil. With people on hand to help them in that. Once the objectives are fulfilled, then thats it. Experienced players would have little reason to play, as the planet wouldnt be able to advance to a credible state. There would be no 'ranking' or anything like that.
This, I think is the way to go. If you have 2 set universes; one for newbies to learn the game and the other for players who already know how to play. In the newbie universe, you include the quests, so they can understand how things work in a way which isnt as if it is read straight out of a book. Then in the other universe, have things as normal?
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2004, 15:12   #108
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
This, I think is the way to go. If you have 2 set universes; one for newbies to learn the game and the other for players who already know how to play. In the newbie universe, you include the quests, so they can understand how things work in a way which isnt as if it is read straight out of a book. Then in the other universe, have things as normal?
In my idea on solution to alliance blocking i had alliance and non alliance galaxies, where non alliance galaxies were over 2x as big and almost an alliance in themselves and had benefits including a thread on the galaxy page to request help from mentors, etc. It'd be better than the 2 universes, as there'd be interaction, but with different sized gals and old players probably mixing in with the new in the big galaxies, it reduces the bashing etc.
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2004, 15:23   #109
WebAngel
Honour & Loyalty

WebAngel is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always wanted to create something like a school for the new PA players, unfortunately I had some other duties hence no time for it. Now that I am out of the loop, I might help doing this. I am still very busy renovating my apartment but next month I will see what can be done.
Unread 6 May 2004, 16:28   #110
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebAngel
I have always wanted to create something like a school for the new PA players, unfortunately I had some other duties hence no time for it. Now that I am out of the loop, I might help doing this. I am still very busy renovating my apartment but next month I will see what can be done.
read www.planetarion.com
Unread 9 May 2004, 19:24   #111
SSdraken

SSdraken is an unknown quantity at this point

on the front page of planetarion.com it says that once you request your application form, and administrator will contact you. How long is that meant to take? Its been about 4 days since i got my form.
SSdraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2004, 19:47   #112
Appocomaster
PA Team

Have you sent the form back? the idea is, e-mail, get the form, fill it in, send it back. Then they have to follow up each application - I know that some of the people i put down as references got asked today, and I was one of the first 10, I think. maybe 15. after your application has been looked at, if they decide you may be suitable then you'll be interviewed, is my guess.
Unread 9 May 2004, 20:58   #113
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

its taking some time I admit, we have a lot of applications, and unfortunatly some sort of real life as well

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 10:32   #114
Deviant

Deviant has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTANU
ehm i dissagree with that.mentors should be in their aliance and the small alliace they help.
It seems to me you're not taking the idea seriously. You just want to be in a big alliance as well so you can 'n00b bash' them while helping them. To be honest the mentors could just use their position to get a little inside information from the small alliances and then bash them to bits. What says you can be trusted to actually help them and not destroy them?

Deviant initiative - join #Deviant
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2006, 12:05   #115
Rec_Edge
Elite Gamer of the World!

Rec_Edge is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever happen to this idea?