User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 25 Mar 2009, 23:51   #1
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
A question about KISS

Recently a lot of people have talked about KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) in Planetarion.

The idea is to keep features simple for new players to understand, and to not over overwelm them.

But just comparing between PA and EVE-Online.

Obviously comparing 3d v 2d isnt what i'm pointing at, but its the learning curve.

EVE is a fantastic game and its very complicated, but thats not turned many people away (those that have disliked EVE have more likely gone to WoW, but then WoW isnt exactly simple).

While PA has a small learning curve, EVE has a huge one, but then the player base for EVE has over 200k accounts, and 40k+ online at peak times.

In eve your not given any formulas, and some features are still a mystery. The manual in PA is there as a guide to players, whether they want to know formulas or not.

With the creation of PA Calc a lot of the formulas (once a requirement before) do not require the new player to worry about.

More features could be directly included into PA, which bypasses the need to know formulas.

Also additions to the Population page is needed, for any adjustments you make, to have the effects shown on that very page, and not needing to flick between 2 pages.

Case in point is the need to flick between research page and population page to see the effect that adjusting the research population makes.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 00:05   #2
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
Re: A question about KISS

lobbie u got too much time on your hands go get roids
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 00:41   #3
TheGoaT
Old Timer

TheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to behold

you cant compare the most complex MMO on the market to a spreadgame when attracting new players. Its like comparing a kid playing with "ball in a cup" to their XBOX 360. Eve online has so many different ways to play the game, from pvp, to pve, to solo industry, to pirating, to exploring, etc etc etc. So new players stay because the unknown interests them. PA is just about math and competition. Theres also quite a gap in development and spending between the two. New players will go thru the steep learning curve in eve online because they find something unknown in eve they want to explore. While theres not much of a learning curse in PA, after about 30 mins, you know all their is to know about the math involved and you can get bored with it rather quickly.
Round 19-20: Ascendancy
Round 21: Quit
Round 30: Ascendancy
Round 75-81: DLR
TheGoaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 00:57   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What is the question?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 02:22   #5
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Theres a question?

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 02:23   #6
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo View Post
lobbie u got too much time on your hands go get roids
Too much defence

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 02:23   #7
[ND]Byrney
Nobody

[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold[ND]Byrney is a splendid one to behold

Apparently not.
[ND]Byrney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 03:01   #8
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Apples and oranges I think, MrLobster.

If you haven't played Sins of a Solar Empire, it's worth the $20.

That's about as close to a middle ground between PA and EvE as I've ever seen, and I think it addresses some of your questions about KISS.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 04:54   #9
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I once suggested a Fog of War approch to PA, you start with your planet (obviously) and you discover your galaxy, then your cluster and lastly the universe. Travel tech tree follows the same curve.
I don't think PA is too complicated though, what imho turns people off is the fact you rely so much on tools outside of PA (IRC, parsers, reliable bcalc, sandmans, etc...) in order to play decently.
The fact that PA is too oriented towards alliances instead of galaxies is a major problem too.
Get rid of alliances rankings, get rid of alliance travel bonus. Let people play the game by themself again and not be merely buttons pushers.
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 05:07   #10
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post
I once suggested a Fog of War approch to PA, you start with your planet (obviously) and you discover your galaxy, then your cluster and lastly the universe. Travel tech tree follows the same curve.
I don't think PA is too complicated though, what imho turns people off is the fact you rely so much on tools outside of PA (IRC, parsers, reliable bcalc, sandmans, etc...) in order to play decently.
The fact that PA is too oriented towards alliances instead of galaxies is a major problem too.
Get rid of alliances rankings, get rid of alliance travel bonus. Let people play the game by themself again and not be merely buttons pushers.
Sandman commented that he would be shutting down sandmans.co.uk, after r30. So perhaps PA need to get the code from him asap

EDIT: Never mind, he has changed his mind

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 05:20   #11
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post

I was actually thinking earlier that hard-coding alliances might have been a bad idea...

Will think some more on it, and report back.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2009, 11:12   #12
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoaT View Post
Eve online has so many different ways to play the game, from pvp, to pve, to solo industry, to pirating, to exploring, etc etc etc. So new players stay because the unknown interests them. PA is just about math and competition.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly the reason why PA is boring and not attracting players. Give us some actual depth in gameplay instead of this pile of one-dimensional playing style bullshit!

Regarding KISS: It's a principle that everyone should stick to but which gets used on totally wrong approaches all the time. It is not about oversimplifying things nor is it about protecting everyone from everything harmful. It's all about choosing a solution that might be complex (depending upon the parts involved and their interactions) but which is definately not complicated.

Last edited by Heartless; 26 Mar 2009 at 11:18.
Heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2009, 10:55   #13
TheGoaT
Old Timer

TheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to behold

that requires throwing money into development Heartless, I doubt any company has considered spending money on PA in many years.
Round 19-20: Ascendancy
Round 21: Quit
Round 30: Ascendancy
Round 75-81: DLR
TheGoaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2009, 11:18   #14
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoaT View Post
that requires throwing money into development Heartless, I doubt any company has considered spending money on PA in many years.
Well, you reap what you sow. So if you are not sowing anything you aren't really going to have something to reap.
Unread 31 Mar 2009, 11:56   #15
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly the reason why PA is boring and not attracting players. Give us some actual depth in gameplay instead of this pile of one-dimensional playing style bullshit!

Regarding KISS: It's a principle that everyone should stick to but which gets used on totally wrong approaches all the time. It is not about oversimplifying things nor is it about protecting everyone from everything harmful. It's all about choosing a solution that might be complex (depending upon the parts involved and their interactions) but which is definately not complicated.
so true!

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote