User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 31 Oct 2002, 17:15   #1
w2k
all grown up

w2k is an unknown quantity at this point
windows boot prob

ok

Im my computer I have 2 HD's one has the operating systems on, win98 and xp on dual boot, and the other is for data.

I just used partition magic to partition the 2nd data HD in my computer.

So it reboots to map the drive letters I boot into win98 as thats what i run partititon magic from. The first windows 98 spash screen loads and after about 3 seconds I get a beep and the HD light stops flahing and it just sits there on the win98 splash screen

So I press the restart button boot into win98 and it does it again. So i rebooted again but into XP which is fine and it finds the new drive partiton which is good.

So i went back to trying to boot 98 using safe mode and I still get the beep then nothing else.

Any ideas.
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 17:50   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: windows boot prob

Quote:
Originally posted by w2k
ok

Im my computer I have 2 HD's one has the operating systems on, win98 and xp on dual boot, and the other is for data.

I just used partition magic to partition the 2nd data HD in my computer.

So it reboots to map the drive letters I boot into win98 as thats what i run partititon magic from. The first windows 98 spash screen loads and after about 3 seconds I get a beep and the HD light stops flahing and it just sits there on the win98 splash screen

So I press the restart button boot into win98 and it does it again. So i rebooted again but into XP which is fine and it finds the new drive partiton which is good.

So i went back to trying to boot 98 using safe mode and I still get the beep then nothing else.

Any ideas.
sounds like your partitions a bit buggered, specially if safe mode wont work.
can you press F8 when starting, and get Safe mode with command prompt ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 18:01   #3
w2k
all grown up

w2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: windows boot prob

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3

sounds like your partitions a bit buggered, specially if safe mode wont work.
can you press F8 when starting, and get Safe mode with command prompt ?
no i cant all the options have the safe effect

good job I backed up all the important stuff to the other HD yesterday.

I can still see the 98 partition from XP shall i use the partition magic restore disks?
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 12:00   #4
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Hammer the ESCAPE button as it starts up, this should stop the splash screen from appearing and show any error messages it's giving you.

If you see any, post them here as they will be helpful in diagnosing your problem.