User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Dec 2003, 21:06   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
positioning a subwoofer

Does anyone have tips on how to position a subwoofer. My parents just got their first DVD player with sound system, and it comes with a badass subwoofer.
How far should it be positioned from the rear-wall, or any other objects in the room, does this matter?

When I run a bass-test from hight to low it seems to suddenly starts to resonate below certain frequencies (like, suddenly, not with a smooth transition).
I don't know if this is normal, I never configured a sound system.

Also, does the underground matter? We got this wooden floor (called "laminaat" in Dutch), but I heard once that a subwoofer should be placed on a padded underground.

I hope you got some tips for me!

Thanks
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 21:08   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: positioning a subwoofer

Resonance is always a pretty sharp peak.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 21:12   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Basicly as far away from walls as possible (this helps to prevent some resonance and can remove interference from reflected sound) - the ideal place is the centre of the room but obviously this isn't practicable.
Putting it in a corner is the sub equivilant of placing the TV so it faces the wall - just don't do it!

Unread 18 Dec 2003, 21:13   #4
cheekybru
Synaptidian

cheekybru is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a sub in our room with a carpeted floor and it works fine, not sure about the wooden one, in our room we have it not against the wall but just under the TV so the sound hits the whole room

thought you were gonna ask about in a car and i was gonna say "Face it backwards towards the backseat, like mine, makes a world of differnce"

<vampy> Cheek is 1337
<Zeus> Cheek is 1337 <-- maybe?
<idimmu> Cheek is 1337
cheekybru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 21:31   #5
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekybru
thought you were gonna ask about in a car and i was gonna say "Face it backwards towards the backseat, like mine, makes a world of differnce"
This car of yours, does it have any stickers on it? Is it a Nova? Do you wear a baseball cap? Are you some sort of ****ing loser ?

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 21:40   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
This car of yours, does it have any stickers on it? Is it a Nova? Do you wear a baseball cap? Are you some sort of ****ing loser ?
How do you even know what a car is?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 21:41   #7
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm ahead of the game, me.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 21:46   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
When I eventually get a half-decent car (note: this relies on me one day making money, so may be but a fantasy) I would consider either a sub or some large speakers.
This is not because I wish to attatch lots of fiddly plastic bits, disproportionately sized spoilers, and "Alpine" stickers all over my "ride" and then race it round a one-way system somewhere.

I just like good sound quality where-ever I am. Not all cars with subs are owned by townies.

Unread 19 Dec 2003, 00:23   #9
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Does anyone have tips on how to position a subwoofer. My parents just got their first DVD player with sound system, and it comes with a badass subwoofer.
How far should it be positioned from the rear-wall, or any other objects in the room, does this matter?

When I run a bass-test from hight to low it seems to suddenly starts to resonate below certain frequencies (like, suddenly, not with a smooth transition).
I don't know if this is normal, I never configured a sound system.

Also, does the underground matter? We got this wooden floor (called "laminaat" in Dutch), but I heard once that a subwoofer should be placed on a padded underground.

I hope you got some tips for me!

Thanks
Mine is sitting on a tile floor, behind my entertainment unit...and it works fantastic
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 02:58   #10
Entium

Entium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud of

It doesn't matter in terms of acoustics. Bass isn't trackable.
Entium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 06:19   #11
nickhall
Naked & Profane

nickhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
I have mine just under my desk, with cables all around. I put the 5 satellites as around as I could.

Not optimal but it works
where mine is too,

It doesnt really matter where you will find most setups have it placed at the front near to the centre - altho as someone said bass isnt overly trackable (altho the best setup i ever saw had the subs located under the chairs but that was more as you felt rather than heared the bass without it beeing overpowering- very impractical tho!!), the floor type will only make a differance directly if the port is downwards facing, carpet will always absorb noise of any kind more than wood and will do the same with bass so if anything wooden floor and a non-downwards facing port will sound louder and the bass will travel better. would concentrate more on where to put the satalites if it has them, placing them one in each of four main corners and the centre one just above or bellow where you will be looking at (then sit right in the middle for perfect sound).
nickhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 06:39   #12
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Put cyaitnide in its subbowl.
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 10:47   #13
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

laminaat is voor arbeiders, parket all the way!

Couldn't resist.

Anyway If you are really cool. you screw the subwoofer up-side-down to the floor and make the whole house a soundsystem. (klankkast)
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 11:10   #14
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
laminaat is voor arbeiders, parket all the way!

pffft pleb

nature-stone floortiles with heating system > parket/laminaat bullshit
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 16:10   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Bass sounds do not travel in any single direction so you are unlikely to tell where the source of the sound is coming from. Some of the more common setups I've seen involve placing it either front & centre or directly behind the lounge chair or something. You will find that when performing a bass test at certain points the sub will appear to resonate more than in others, this is normal for a sub to do this and usually happens when the sound being played is within the optimin frequency range for that sub (usually 40-80 Hz)

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 17:25   #16
cheekybru
Synaptidian

cheekybru is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
When I eventually get a half-decent car (note: this relies on me one day making money, so may be but a fantasy) I would consider either a sub or some large speakers.
This is not because I wish to attatch lots of fiddly plastic bits, disproportionately sized spoilers, and "Alpine" stickers all over my "ride" and then race it round a one-way system somewhere.

I just like good sound quality where-ever I am. Not all cars with subs are owned by townies.

Thank you, my car is a 1.4 L reg Astra, with no Mods, just 500 pounds worth of sterio equipment.

<vampy> Cheek is 1337
<Zeus> Cheek is 1337 <-- maybe?
<idimmu> Cheek is 1337
cheekybru is offline   Reply With Quote