User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Oct 2006, 12:56   #1
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all
Re: The case for legalizing farming

We need to think of something to keep a steady (and preferably high) flow of roids into the game. There used to be a time when people initiated untill they reached 250-300 roids before protection ends (pt72). Most top-alliances tell their members to keep the initiating down to 150 or even less, which I think is a cruicial element that keeps the total amount of roids in the game down.
I understand the strategical element of leaving protection 'roidless' so we should develop a different method of bringing roids into the game. Although 1:1 are initiating their ass off, it's not enough.

I like the idea of PA controlled initiating bots that:
- come to play at let's say the middle of the round. The top players won't get that kickstart from free roids and the new players can get an understanding of the game without losing their fleets at once.
- have a fixed value/score corresponding with the universe average (30% of that average for example)
- are preferably no fleet, but they could be filled with 'useless' ships like pods or useless defence ships

So tell me what you think?
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2006, 13:34   #2
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo
We need to think of something to keep a steady (and preferably high) flow of roids into the game. There used to be a time when people initiated untill they reached 250-300 roids before protection ends (pt72). Most top-alliances tell their members to keep the initiating down to 150 or even less, which I think is a cruicial element that keeps the total amount of roids in the game down.
I understand the strategical element of leaving protection 'roidless' so we should develop a different method of bringing roids into the game. Although 1:1 are initiating their ass off, it's not enough.
This sums up the problem rather well.

Quote:
I like the idea of PA controlled initiating bots that:
- come to play at let's say the middle of the round. The top players won't get that kickstart from free roids and the new players can get an understanding of the game without losing their fleets at once.
- have a fixed value/score corresponding with the universe average (30% of that average for example)
- are preferably no fleet, but they could be filled with 'useless' ships like pods or useless defence ships
I think this overcomplicates the matter a little. I don't see the need to wait until the middle of the round and I don't see why value/score should be present at all.

In my opinion, the best way to do this is to emulate successful farm tactics.

Here's my idea:

Allow galaxies to create farmable "planets". The ministers organize starting up the planet. The planet automatically initiates up to an adjustable amount of roids (say, by the MoD) whenever a fleet from the galaxy lands on it, taking money from the galaxy fund when doing so. This encourages a galaxy to cooperate and coordinate their efforts.

If you want to focus on alliances rather than galaxies as the entity of cooperation, make them alliance created and confined to "special" galaxies. The restrictions on the alliance fund might need to be rebalanced in this case.
Unread 27 Oct 2006, 14:50   #3
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I think this overcomplicates the matter a little. I don't see the need to wait until the middle of the round and I don't see why value/score should be present at all.
In my opinion, the bot planets should be created for the smaller and new players only. If you 'cap' the bot a bit, we could prevent the top players from abusing them early in the round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
In my opinion, the best way to do this is to emulate successful farm tactics.

Here's my idea:

Allow galaxies to create farmable "planets". The ministers organize starting up the planet. The planet automatically initiates up to an adjustable amount of roids (say, by the MoD) whenever a fleet from the galaxy lands on it, taking money from the galaxy fund when doing so. This encourages a galaxy to cooperate and coordinate their efforts.

If you want to focus on alliances rather than galaxies as the entity of cooperation, make them alliance created and confined to "special" galaxies. The restrictions on the alliance fund might need to be rebalanced in this case.
The farmable planets in the galaxy could work if only planets from that galaxy could attack it. It's probably best to keep the controle of those planets in the hands of PA Team to keep it 'fair' for everyone. If players control the planets, the active galaxies will gain more from those planets than the players they're meant for, the small and relatively inactive ones.
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2006, 14:56   #4
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo
In my opinion, the bot planets should be created for the smaller and new players only. If you 'cap' the bot a bit, we could prevent the top players from abusing them early in the round.
Why is that your opinion? I don't think people should be punished for doing well early on, as it breaks the pace of the game. It's very frustrating to come out of the blocks at break neck speed only to be held back because of it.

Quote:
The farmable planets in the galaxy could work if only planets from that galaxy could attack it. It's probably best to keep the controle of those planets in the hands of PA Team to keep it 'fair' for everyone. If players control the planets, the active galaxies will gain more from those planets than the players they're meant for, the small and relatively inactive ones.
Yes, I made the assumption that they could either only be attacked ingal or at the very most would not initiate new roids if out of gal attackers landed on them. As for active players gaining more advantage from them, yes, they would. I don't see how rewarding people who don't play makes the game any more appealing.

If you reward play, people will come back for the rewards.
Unread 27 Oct 2006, 15:31   #5
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Roid/value balance

I've never seen the the real benifit of bot planets. It always strikes me as an over compicated way of getting more roids into the universe with the only real outcome being that we have players at the lower end playing a poor quality single player game.

I've said elsewhere that if we want more roids in the universe the simplist way is to make initing more roids a bit more appealing. Lower the value they give the planet, lower the init cost and increase the resources they give. These changes would probally encourage people to init more as it would remain profitable to init for longer.

I do like Jesters idea in theory mind you, although like paolo I think it could lead to a rich get richer, poor get poorer situation if they were as easy to replace as indicated and depending on how the costs is decided. Its simply going to widen the gap between galaxies further and make the game reliant on who can fund the farm the best and we dont want the game decided on that surely
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2006, 15:35   #6
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Why not just make the miningoutput from the roids bigger?
Unread 27 Oct 2006, 15:39   #7
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
Why not just make the miningoutput from the roids bigger?
Because that has the exact opposite effect of what we're trying to achieve
Unread 27 Oct 2006, 15:49   #8
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
I've said elsewhere that if we want more roids in the universe the simplist way is to make initing more roids a bit more appealing. Lower the value they give the planet, lower the init cost and increase the resources they give. These changes would probally encourage people to init more as it would remain profitable to init for longer.
Increase the resources they give? If you double the resources produced by a roid, every roid will have twice as many ships defending it. How does that help anyone? Lowering the value they give lowers the reward for capping them, too. Lowering the init costs would be a short-term solution, but it would only postpone stagnation. It might also have the side-effect that, since less resources are spent on roids, more are spent on ships.

If we really wanted to tackle stagnation, we could:
* Remove the ships/resources component from value entirely (or significantly reduce it)
* Make producing ships give XP, equivalent to the amount of score that would have been gained in value under the present system
* Double the damage (or halve the armour) on all ships

I'll see if people get why this would work before posting a fuller explanation; I rather suspect that most people won't

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
I do like Jesters idea in theory mind you, although like paolo I think it could lead to a rich get richer, poor get poorer situation if they were as easy to replace as indicated and depending on how the costs is decided. Its simply going to widen the gap between galaxies further and make the game reliant on who can fund the farm the best and we dont want the game decided on that surely
People who play the game well will do better than people who don't. What's the problem here? You are basically arguing that any new method of growth will benefit those who use it, which is unfair to those who don't. Given that this is a free choice, it's really none of our business; it's certainly not 'unfair'. One could argue that attacking is unfair, because some people might not like to attack. Does that justify removing attacking?
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2006, 13:31   #9
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
If we really wanted to tackle stagnation, we could:
* Remove the ships/resources component from value entirely (or significantly reduce it)
* Make producing ships give XP, equivalent to the amount of score that would have been gained in value under the present system
* Double the damage (or halve the armour) on all ships

I'll see if people get why this would work before posting a fuller explanation; I rather suspect that most people won't
OK, time to elaborate, I guess.

Stagnation is, in part, caused by the simple human factor - people get bored of PA after a certain period of time. This is why we have resets. But, frustratingly, stagnation can also set in before everyone has got bored. The last two weeks of a round are generally boring regardless of how much effort players might feel like making.

The reasons are twofold, and relate to the balance of risk and reward.

Risk

Risk is higher later in the round. Your fleet is, typically, larger and so are the fleets of your enemies. If your fleet dies, you will lose a lot of score, and will not have much time left to rebuild it. As each day passes, this equation gets worse. Your ability to tolerate losses in combat decreases, and this reduce the incentive to bother with attacking. Often, experienced players have simple rules of thumb about how much of a loss is tolerable, but there are calculators available for this which produce results similar to: 'Capping 100 roids at 100k value will repay in 400 ticks (16 days)'. This makes the game quite mechanical and boring, as there's no human judgement here, just the judgement of a calculator.

Because value tends to increase proportionally to roid count over the course of the round, you are also generally attacking targets with more ships-per-roid later in the round. They, in turn, have access to greater defensive resources (from their alliance/galaxy) and so the risk of defence is greater.

There is also the risk of fleet-catch, something which only really works later in the round. Ziks can profit considerably from catching fleets, although sometimes fleets will be caught by Xans in order to kill them. This is more likely late in the round because more people tend to have idle fleets (there's less attacking going on, so there are more fleets looking for something interesting to do). A fleet-catch late in the round is crippling; there is no recovery from it (I learned this the hard way).

Reward

Not only is risk higher, but reward is often lower. XP does offset this problem somewhat, but the simple fact is that it's a lot cheaper to capture roids at the start of the round than at the end. This is for the reasons outlined above: there are generally more and better defensive ships around later in the round, and this increases the amount of ships you must lose in order to cap roids.

Roids captured late in the round also produce fewer resources, because there is less time for them to be productive. A roid capture with 1000 ticks to go will produce 250 x 1000 resources; with 50 ticks to go, it's only 50 x 250. This is less likely to pay for the cost (in lost ships) of capturing the roid.

Solutions

Given these problems, what can we do about them?

Firstly, stop punishing people directly for losing ships in combat. The present size of your fleet should not determine your score. I've revised my original idea slightly; I now think that XP should be awarded for every unit of resources produced, at the moment of production, regardless of what those resources are later spent on, and ships/resources should be removed from the value component of your score. This greatly reduces the 'risk' element, because it becomes tolerable to sacrifice ships for some other gain. This would eliminate the calculators from working out whether an attack is profitable; the question would be not 'how long before the roids give me a score profit?' but 'how many ships can I lose before I compromise my defensive ability to hold the roids?'.

The current 'profit' question is bad because it's seriously unbalanced. The 'profit' question takes consideration of the size of your fleet, which is almost always smaller early in the round, so it's always going to favour early attacking. And at the beginning of the round, almost any loss is tolerable because you have the rest of the round to make your losses back. After the mid-point, the 'profit' question yields progressively worse answers, until it is no longer worth attacking (or until finding suitable targets becomes non-trivial). The profit question amplifies the existing bias in favour of early roid-capping (there's longer for the roids to be productive).

The 'defence' question, in contrast, works against the bias. Early on, you might figure that losing 40% of your fleet is going to hurt you defensively. And it most certainly will. But you balance that against the possibility that maybe you might just hold those roids. Later in the round, 'defence' matters progressively less, because the roids you have are less productive. They've already given you lots of XP (as per the suggestion above), so you might not be too worried about leaving yourself exposed. The question is then 'if I lose 40% of my fleet for 400 roids, will the benefit of those 400 roids outweigh the probable roid loss incurred by having a weaker fleet?'. A much more interesting question than asking a bot '!roidcost 400 2500000'

Wouldn't this just encourage suicidal behaviour though? Well, no. You could lose your entire fleet for one roid, and yes, you would come out of that attack with a (marginally) higher score (the XP and the value from gaining one roid). But you'd have no ability to defend your roids, and you'd lose them pretty fast. Roids lost means less XP produced (as per the XP-for-res-production suggestion), so you'd lose out pretty quickly if you kept on suiciding. Note: I have made no attempt to figure out precise numbers here, or how it might be necessary to change the XP-for-combat system. I'm hoping someone else might do that bit of thinking for me

In my initial suggestion above, I suggested increasing damage. This was to ensure that more ships died, thus lowering the amount of ships-per-roid in the universe (since ships can die, but roids can't, so more ships dying means fewer ships-per-roid). On reflection, this may not be necessary (and it may be counter-productive due to the Tullock effect) - though I think combat might be made more interesting by incorporating something of the kind suggested in this thread.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2006, 23:23   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Just as an addendum to rob's point concerning tolerable losses for roids one area in which we're going to see this this round is in regards to xan fr fleets. Eventually the size of the average wraith fleet is going to make it next to impossible to land a profitable attack.