User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 31 Aug 2005, 14:34   #1
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Discussion on PA stat direction and its implications

I can't remember the last time I made a thread....

Anyway, I was reading about xan being newb fighter swarmers and I got to thinking. "yeah i know xan are very hard to attack with, because it's very difficult to hit anyone of a high value unlike other races", but none the less it is true that attacking with xan is a case of "put all FI in slot 1, add Co to taste, send". Which made me think "well hell, that makes xan seem a bit poo". Until of course you look at other races. And apart from zik, it's "put pod and flak class ships into slot 1, add same eta ships to taste, send". It's true of terran, it's true of cat it's true of xan. And it's been this way for a while.

I don't always remember it being this way, and yes i'm fully aware that there are still tactics which can be employed to spice things up a little, but by enlarge what ya got is what ya got. And the only reason zik is any different is because of fakes.

Now i know this was a concious decision to reduce complexity, but I for one, do miss it...

I just wondered how other people felt on the subject

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2005, 14:42   #2
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Discussion on PA stat direction and its implications

Only choices I have to make nowadays is nixes against terrans with Battleships(which I have never done yet but seems like a good idea) and syren with battleships on xans.
Not much to do otherwise.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2005, 18:29   #3
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

I don't quite see how putting a second class in with the first one is that much more 'complex'. The example that comes to mind is Cath FI/CO this round, or Cath DE/CR in r12. But really, lobbing all of class X and Y doesn't add much in terms of difficulty or depth.
Unread 1 Sep 2005, 10:09   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I want an opportunity to test a 10 class 16 type per race set of ship stats.

That would be great for the complexity :\
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2005, 12:45   #5
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Seconded
Unread 1 Sep 2005, 15:22   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

while some people, especially those on the forums, obviously have a lot of time and can read and analyse the stats, the majority of the playerbase doesn't. Those in alliances rely on the alliances to tell them the best races to choose; some players choose the same race regardless, and many just pick because for some reason they look better.
Unread 8 Sep 2005, 19:55   #7
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

There have been a lot of changes to the game since PaX that have gone in the direction of simplifying the game to make it more appealing to non stat-geeks. For the most part they have been good ideas, this issue you have brought up has been brought up many times before. I myself have argued that based on the simplified ship stats and other tactic simplifying measures (the convergance of eta's and single tick attacks) we need to expand the number of fleet slots. Unfortunatly I havn't seen any movement of the PATeam to do much about either of these issues, simplified tactics do have their advantages, but there are us more advanced players who still wish to see a return to a more complex combat system.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2005, 23:35   #8
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
There have been a lot of changes to the game since PaX
Simplification since the same eta for everything, same init for everything, only 4 ship classes? God, those stats were boring.

I can't comment too much as I've only played since round 10, however, I can state quite comfortably that an alliance who's members attack by shoving 'all pods+flak' into a fleet will perform less well than an alliance which is selective in what it sends. I would be particularly annoyed if my alliance was always sending its pulsars against ziks, and leaving us to get raped against DE, or if members were actually sending their arrows to deter xan defence. Why? Because whether there's arrows in or not is unlikely to make an ounce of difference over whether people send def because of the inaccuracy of unit scans and the fact that xands can't be FAd. I'd much rather have 5k arrows for defence and save a few hundred roids than lose those roids and have someone sacrifice a bunch of FI and/or CO just to hurt a few enemy CO...
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote