User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Jan 2004, 22:02   #1
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

biffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the rough
Planetarion News Update

Hello all and welcome to my first post here at Planetarion.

To introduce myself my name is David Angus, forum nick biffy, and as part of Jolt's recent expansion of services I've been taken on as their Community Manager. One of the first responsibilities I have been given at Jolt is to become the main Jolt point of contact for the PA Team, ensuring that they have the tools and support to make this game a success.

One of the first things I feel I should do is apologise for the recent lack of news on the game's development. As I was only introduced to the PA Team and the current Planetarion situation about 10 days ago I've had to spend a bit of time getting to know the team, assessing the state of the game and determining how best to proceed. This has also meant holding discussions with the PA Team on a number of topics and these talks have raised some key issues we have had to tackle. The main problem I have encountered is that the PA Team have been unhappy with the lack of Jolt interaction and support in recent times, this mainly due to Jolt being very stretched in terms of staff resources.

Unfortunately the experience of the last few weeks meant that the PA Team had significant concerns about signing the new NDA that we require all people who are given access to Jolt systems to sign as part of the safeguards we have when dealing with volunteers. With this being crucial to allowing Planetarion development to proceed (no NDA means no server access) the past 7 days or so have seen some very open and, at times, heated discussions with a number of topics being talked about at length. Thankfully we have now managed to reach agreement on these matters and can start moving on with the game once more and also start to inform you, the loyal Planetarion players, what our plans are for the game.

We are aware that it has been a fair while since there was a Planetarion for you to actually play so with this in mind we have decided to recall legendary Planetarion creator Spinner from retirement. His main role will be to make some changes to the PaX code that will correct what significant bugs we know of, remove some of the aspects that have been criticised and generally allow us to tighten things up so we can use the code to run some Speedgames. This process is already well underway and we have provisionally penciled in the weekend of February 7th/8th for the first of what hopefully be a Cup style series of Speedgames that run throughout the month, culminating in a March final. Details will be confirmed in a few days so that players, alliances and administrators all have sufficient time to prepare for these games.

In addition to this Spinner will be providing advice to the existing PA Team as they seek to continue their development work on Round 11. This work has been progressing well and we are intending to go into beta in a matter of weeks, although it may be necessary to run some havoc games in addition to the Speedgames in order for us to ensure that we do not suffer such a gap in Planetarion gaming as has been the case since PaX finished. If this happens we will use the same modified code that will run the Speedgames and look at altering the tick speeds and/or roid income rates, as well as perhaps using different stats.

One issue that has been mentioned a lot on the forums is that of charging for Planetarion, especially given the gap in time since PaX. Whilst we cannot offer completely free versions of Planetarion, it simply costs too much money to run, we do intend to revamp the pricing and credits structure so that to participate in Planetarion is significantly cheaper than it was in PaX. Those of you with existing credits will be able to use these to participate in the games.

I think this is enough for my first post and the above should have helped to explain why things have been as they are for Planetarion during the last month or so. If you would like to ask me some further questions feel free to do so by replying to this forum post or by using the email function of the forums. You can also find me on IRC in #planetarion.

regards
Biffy
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 22:12   #2
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Planetarion News Update

Lovely someone new on the scene :gollum:

Thanks for the long awaited update :-)
Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 22:30   #3
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

I may not like the game, but planetarion is still the best reality-tv around
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 22:30   #4
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

so it won;t be free then

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 22:32   #5
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

biffy, have you ever played planetarion or been part of the community?
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 22:43   #6
Mendosa
Satanic op

Mendosa is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thankyou for the big update, I wish you the best of luck with what sounds like a very promising plan to bring things together nicely. Glad to know people have been paying attention
Mendosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 22:43   #7
asd
Naked Oral Sex

asd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalVirtus
so it won;t be free then
no, so go code the game awesome, else it wont be worth
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 22:44   #8
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

\o/ we're out of the loop

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 22:45   #9
Mav
Band of Brothers

Mav is an unknown quantity at this point

Although new to team is a good thing, you really need to listen to the members of this game in order to reform it, you just need to look at the numbers leaving the game to see that.

NoS Officer, OMG / Adelante Officer, Eclipse Officer, FAnG HC, Mistu, [1up].
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 22:46   #10
derry

derry will become famous soon enoughderry will become famous soon enough

welcome 2 the *wonderfull* world of PA buffy

hope you have a good time here

Last edited by derry; 25 Jan 2004 at 23:09.
derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 22:52   #11
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

an update at last would be nice to see a more permanent date given asap so ppl who want to play can make sure they have the time

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 22:53   #12
Rocklobster[Dok]
Victuri te Salutant

Rocklobster[Dok] is an unknown quantity at this point

so we might get some ticks back for the summer hollydays or so :/

Rock

A regular day on the lego server:
<Alf> We are Gren's bitches.. we should be proud to hump his legs
<Alf> wanna swap legs Nexus?
<Alf> This leg of Gren is smooth.. but I like some hair now
<Nexus> sure m8
<Nexus> i want the shaven now
Rocklobster[Dok] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 23:05   #13
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

biffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar
biffy, have you ever played planetarion or been part of the community?
In the past couple of years I've not played the game at all or had any involvement in the community. I've been involved in Online gaming by way of working full-time for GAME since early 2001 but Planetarion style games was not something we focused on there, it was mainly FPS stuff.

Prior to working for GAME I was however an employee of BarrysWorld, the company who you will recall hosted Planetarion for a time during 2000 and early 2001. I played the game both before and during the time we hosted it, although since about mid-2001 I've not had the time to play it really.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 23:23   #14
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

biffy: are you working on a plan to try and retain some of the players that played round 10 in the free universe?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 25 Jan 2004, 23:28   #15
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

All i say is welcome back Spinner

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 23:41   #16
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

Quote:
biffy: are you working on a plan to try and retain some of the players that played round 10 in the free universe?
This may be difficult as far as the SpeedGames go, although we are hopeful that the new pricing structure will allow people to get their friends playing fairly cheaply. With regards to r11 the p2p aspect is still in development but as far as I know it will be possibly to play in a "free universe" there.
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 23:46   #17
Aer
Supposed Columnist

Aer is an unknown quantity at this point

spinner just couldn't leave.... the good vessel the lolly roffle hadn't sunk quite yet

<Smudge> wut sort of sick minded btard put the winzip installation in a zip file?

<[Purple]MrBrick> Would you lot sod off with the PMs for a few hours. Jesus.
<[Purple]MrBrick> I DO NOT CARE ABOUT SOME DRAGON CALLED PUFF.
<[Purple]MrBrick> Even though he lives by the sea, and frolics in the autumn mist in a land called honah-lee.
* PuffT3hDr4g0n is now known as PuffT3hSad
Aer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2004, 23:53   #18
kaos
peon

kaos is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you expect the community to pay for a game developed by semi professionial coders and support from a semi professional team ? Or do you finally hire a professional staff team instead of suppressing the ones who code and manage this game for YOU for FREE with those ridiculous ndas ? And then you say it costs so much to run ? I wonder when Jolt will change that A**hole attitude ...
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 00:03   #19
Darkness
NoS forever

Darkness is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmm
/me stays tuned

[NoS] forever
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 01:14   #20
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos
How do you expect the community to pay for a game developed by semi professionial coders and support from a semi professional team ? Or do you finally hire a professional staff team instead of suppressing the ones who code and manage this game for YOU for FREE with those ridiculous ndas ? And then you say it costs so much to run ? I wonder when Jolt will change that A**hole attitude ...

Well i'm guessing running costs are the servers.. and the stuff that goes with that..
Jolt i've no doubt wish to make a profit... you dont run a buisness as a charity.. unless you actually want to run a charity.

I dont think thats fair to the present or past pa-team members kaos, they have been trying to do an impossible job... keeping pa players happy.. Respect to everyone .. amateur or proffesional that has coded and helped run pa over the years.. i certainly wouldnt want to do it...
Proffesional coders run beta tests for months to iron out bugs in any game b4 it is released into the market place.. anyone want to wait up to 6 months for the next round.. yer i didnt think so

Admirable rightous indignation from you kaos .. but has anyone in the team said to you they are being repressed ?

ohh and welcome to Hell Biffy :-)
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL

Last edited by Pookie; 26 Jan 2004 at 01:32.
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 01:29   #21
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

welcome biffy

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 01:37   #22
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Can I be the first to say Thank the Gods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffy
Hello all and welcome to my first post here at Planetarion.
Hello biffy and welcome to the Planetarion community and forums. I certainly hope you will be making many more posts to come - this was exactly the kind of stuff we were waiting for

Jolt and the Planetarion Community aren't really on speaking terms, and as such Jolt's reputation isn't exactly at an all-time high. I can only hope that you being here is a first step into bringing the two together. As such, please don't let any 'hostilities' scare you away, should they occur. Some people on the forums can be quite vocal (myself included)
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 09:13   #23
Chameleon

Well welcome to PA Biffy I hope you can find a way through the maze of Planetarions history and come up with a way to pull things together. Hopefully you can connect the dots and show us the chicken.

How about a pretty and fast front end for PA...thin client download? massively multi player PA? Now surely that would bring in the dough

Regards,
Chameleon
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 09:23   #24
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

first 'wb Spinner' in a sucky sucky thread
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 09:46   #25
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Hey, you seem to have a very chronic condition of "Biggus Mouthus". Please have it rectified immediately. Preferrably by the related form of amputation.

Good luck to ya biffy Don't imagine that this job is going to be a pleasent one for ya, but good on you for taking it.

-Squids
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 09:47   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon
massively multi player PA?
What do you think PA IS? (or was, if you're being 'lol the game's dead hahaha')

Whilst the arrival of someone from Jolt to properly keep tabs on the public domain (as it were) is nice (it should stop the traditional 'Jolt told me not to say it' reply), it does make our 'PR' department somewhat redundant. Will they get other jobs, or just sit there and bask in their own 'power' whilst not having anything to do?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 09:52   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
By the look of it, biffy here's role covers most of jolt, so it's not just the game covering the overheads. Furthermore, from figures posted by people who run similar games, it's quite probable that even with reduced user levels, jolt is turning a healthy profit without anyone being paid in the team (Spinner and Fudge being 'departed').

Furthermore, NDA's would be required by most business concerns, if you have people without a professional tie to the company using your servers remotely, I suspect an NDA or some other kind of contract would be signed.

Finally, I don't think jolt could particularly be said to be 'supressing the ones who code and manage the game'; the only person who's had a (non-NDA) complaint with Jolt when dealing with internal business was Spinner, and that appeared to be because he misunderstood his contract. Talk inside the team is free, and they chose to perform that role, in any case (more so, given the recent minicoup)
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 11:03   #28
Catwoman

Catwoman is a jewel in the roughCatwoman is a jewel in the roughCatwoman is a jewel in the rough

Hi Biffy great to see some one has finally remembered us and I hope you will keep us updated often on new happenings, cheers.
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 11:15   #29
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about

first hardy with a few sporadic posts, now someone called angus. I wonder who will be posting next week
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 11:44   #30
cbk100

cbk100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome Biffy

Nice to see that something is finaly hapening...

Although I don't think PA can survive without making it posible for new players to play it for free (I will give you a few ideas for how this might be posible on IRC when I get my internet back in the end of this month) it is very nice to see that something is going on in HQ.

Biffy let me just give you one advice: Never lie to the PA comunity...

That is especialy when we talk about dates... Too many times HQ has set a date and not kept it (well actualy I don't think they have ever kept it) so its better to set a date a few weeks later than you really think you can make cause then you have a margin and you avoid lieing to the comunity...

cbk
speedgames=fun :-)
cbk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 11:47   #31
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aer
the good vessel the lolly roffle hadn't sunk quite yet
That was the name of my fleet last round .

Welcome again Mr Biffy.
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 12:51   #32
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Prior to working for GAME I was however an employee of BarrysWorld, the company who you will recall hosted Planetarion for a time during 2000 and early 2001. I played the game both before and during the time we hosted it, although since about mid-2001 I've not had the time to play it really.
Firstly welcome to the Planetarion Universe and its good to see a jolt face

You meantion you worked at Barrysworld before it became GAME, I never knew a biffy?? Did you go by any other nick? Its just I'm sure if in BW I'll know you is all, great bunch of guys the BW ones were, where gaming was born
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 13:19   #33
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

Quote:
Jolt had professional Planetarion staff in the past but ultimately they couldn't make it work with those kind of cost levels, this reflecting in the rather expensive PaX prices. If Planetarion can get back running regular and at a large enough level then perhaps there will be full-time positions we can offer in the future, but this very much depends on what goes on in the next few months. Having said all that we have take on Spinner in a temporary paid position to fix the PaX code and make it suitable for running with Speedgames, this we view as an investment in Planetarion that we hope will be rewarded with some excellent Speedgames and also giving the current development team sufficient time to fully test r11. My own involvement is as a part of a wider Jolt role as their Community Manager and, whilst I've spent a significant amount of time on Planetarion in the past week, this has been mainly due to the stage the game is at. Once r11 is underway I doubt I will be around much because the PA Team should have all matters in hand.

The charging aspect is something that I've seen debated to death on this forum but I will add my view on it even though ultimately I doubt anything I can say will change your opinion. With regards to Planetarion on a monthly basis there is an opportunity cost to Jolt in the servers that the game uses as they could be sold for £X as Clan Servers on the FPS side of the business. In addition to this there are bandwidth costs associate with all aspects of Planetarion. These costs have to be recovered and it is worth remembering that they do vary with users so although more users = more revenue it does also inevitably mean more cost. PaX was costly because there were other development costs which had to be developed, we realise that it was perhaps too costly and this is why we will be revamping the pricing policy to a starting level of £10 for 3 credits, these credits being usable in both Speedgames and Normal games.

And the NDA issue. Well, I fully appreciate the problems the PA Team had with this despite the fact that we've had no similar issues in the FPS side of Jolt where all of our volunteer admins have either signed it and sent it back or are in the process of doing so. I tried to put the case as best I could for the NDA as it was but when it came down to it we accepted a more Planetarion specific version was required given the unique nature of the game and ultimately common sense prevailed. Despite having some disagreements the PA Team people I've met have all been very friendly and appear to have a real passion for the game. I'm hopeful we can put this issue behind us to ensure that they, with the help of Jolt, produce a r11 that does Planetarion justice.
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 13:20   #34
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

Hi Zeus. You will know me as bigfoot (perhaps, we exchanged only a couple of mails), I chose the name biffy for this forum because its the name I had to use on Netgamers.
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 13:32   #35
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Hi Zeus. You will know me as bigfoot (perhaps, we exchanged only a couple of mails), I chose the name biffy for this forum because its the name I had to use on Netgamers.
AH! Bigfoot old bean, how to feck are ya?

Good to see you helping out here and I wish you well, its a steep learning curve compared to the FPS scene, but Im sure you will excell in the challenge.

Still keep in contact with the old BW crew? If, what everyone doing nowadays?
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 13:44   #36
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

Ted and Dbs are at http://www.freddyshouse.com with most of the BW people. Sort of like a BW rebirth. Ted is working for Sony's Online stuff whilst DBs has remained with GAME as a network / infrastructure bod.
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 16:13   #37
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

yey for spinner!
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 16:19   #38
kaos
peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Well i'm guessing running costs are the servers.. and the stuff that goes with that..
Jolt i've no doubt wish to make a profit... you dont run a buisness as a charity.. unless you actually want to run a charity.
Quote:
The charging aspect is something that I've seen debated to death on this forum but I will add my view on it even though ultimately I doubt anything I can say will change your opinion. With regards to Planetarion on a monthly basis there is an opportunity cost to Jolt in the servers that the game uses as they could be sold for £X as Clan Servers on the FPS side of the business. In addition to this there are bandwidth costs associate with all aspects of Planetarion. These costs have to be recovered and it is worth remembering that they do vary with users so although more users = more revenue it does also inevitably mean more cost. PaX was costly because there were other development costs which had to be developed, we realise that it was perhaps too costly and this is why we will be revamping the pricing policy to a starting level of £10 for 3 credits, these credits being usable in both Speedgames and Normal games.
I dont think thats fair to the present or past pa-team members kaos, they have been trying to do an impossible job... keeping pa players happy.. Respect to everyone .. amateur or proffesional that has coded and helped run pa over the years.. i certainly wouldnt want to do it...
Proffesional coders run beta tests for months to iron out bugs in any game b4 it is released into the market place.. anyone want to wait up to 6 months for the next round.. yer i didnt think so
as i said in another thread i think that the costs of the servers + bw are 500 euros per month max (i know this stuff, because i work for a company providing similar services as jolt )
i could do this calc stuff again, but i think you can imagine the gap between income and costs quite easily alone (tho this calculation was based on _zero_ employee costs, which was the case until a few days ago ...)

Quote:
Jolt had professional Planetarion staff in the past but ultimately they couldn't make it work with those kind of cost levels, this reflecting in the rather expensive PaX prices. If Planetarion can get back running regular and at a large enough level then perhaps there will be full-time positions we can offer in the future, but this very much depends on what goes on in the next few months. Having said all that we have take on Spinner in a temporary paid position to fix the PaX code and make it suitable for running with Speedgames, this we view as an investment in Planetarion that we hope will be rewarded with some excellent Speedgames and also giving the current development team sufficient time to fully test r11. My own involvement is as a part of a wider Jolt role as their Community Manager and, whilst I've spent a significant amount of time on Planetarion in the past week, this has been mainly due to the stage the game is at. Once r11 is underway I doubt I will be around much because the PA Team should have all matters in hand.
professional ? you MUST be joking. some points for you that show the [i]professionalism[/b] of that "professional pa team"
1. You ever played pax ? You ever saw the bugs which where in there ? those bugs were the result of the disregard of the most basic rules in programming (never trust user input). even a 10 year old "cracker" could have found those bugs
2. Pax was so good that it has do be redone now again.
3. spinner has to help now to get this old code ready for speedgames. in the "professional" projects i worked yet, there was something like documentation
4. Those professionals are still employees of jolt
5. For the price of pax i would have expected a product which can compete with the ones for free on the market. and there were enough better "clones"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Admirable rightous indignation from you kaos .. but has anyone in the team said to you they are being repressed ?
Well an NDA is _always_ repressive (thats the nature of ndas)
but the fact that it already took over 3 weeks to get _simple_ ndas signed leads to the impression that there must be something _wrong_ with the ndas, else pateam would have just signed them

and jolt still have to explain to me why they need an nda for ppl who develop a game for them, for free in their private, free time. and for pure server axx you don't need ndas. because the nda usually protects the companies ip (intellectual property). The only ip i can atm think of is the pax code (which pateam had access to even before the ndas were signed), and they need to protect the ip of the new code ? (which is mits ip actually ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
Hey, you seem to have a very chronic condition of "Biggus Mouthus". Please have it rectified immediately. Preferrably by the related form of amputation.
full ack :P
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 16:56   #39
Kal
Inactive peon

i think the point abotu server cost is that the servers need to make as much money as they would make if they were being used for other things, otherwise its mkaing a realworld loss.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 26 Jan 2004, 16:58   #40
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:

but the fact that it already took over 3 weeks to get _simple_ ndas signed leads to the impression that there must be something _wrong_ with the ndas, else pateam would have just signed them

and jolt still have to explain to me why they need an nda for ppl who develop a game for them, for free in their private, free time. and for pure server axx you don't need ndas. because the nda usually protects the companies ip (intellectual property). The only ip i can atm think of is the pax code (which pateam had access to even before the ndas were signed), and they need to protect the ip of the new code ? (which is mits ip actually ...)

full ack :P

I think the point is Jolt want to own the planetarion IP which is fair as they own the game. This is perfectly standard stuff, jolt cna;t have Mit running off with the code and using it for his own game for instance.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 26 Jan 2004, 17:06   #41
Crazeh
Jedi Mastah

Crazeh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
bigfoot \o/

I sure remember you

I rampaged BW Q3 in -No Compromise- with BadKarma, Sturty & crew! Good old days

Glad to see you're still around, and Welcome to PA

Round 3-4 Newbie
Round 6-10 NoS
Round 10.5-11 FAnG

[Mercenaries]
[Illuminati]
Crazeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 17:18   #42
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
i think the point abotu server cost is that the servers need to make as much money as they would make if they were being used for other things, otherwise its mkaing a realworld loss.
Exactly biffy's point. If they were using the PA servers for Counterstrike, or doom or whatever, they'd be making a lot more profit than they do from PA.
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 17:38   #43
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Question Re: Planetarion News Update

Welcome biffy! Many many many thanks for the post, I think (as you can see) we were all waiting for something, just a date and an idea of what was happening in the future, which you provided.

Jolt expansion of services was "Clan Server Rental" - or so the page was entitled. Does this mean that alliances ('clans') of Planetarion can rent out servers for private speed games, as has been considered once or twice on various places on the forum? If so, what sort of prices would these be? (Assuming say a weekend's rental for the game) and what abilities would the people renting the servers have? Some way of, for example, changing some bits of the code through a GUI, to change ship/structure/research stats + costs?
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 17:42   #44
kaos
peon

Quote:
the real world loss is maybe 200-300 euros per server more each month (you gotta count support for that stuff + bw, and gameservers produce LOTS of bw [and those 500 euros are already _lots_ for a game like pa] if they don't put an insane amount of servers on 1 machine) still makes a quite large gap between income and costs.

Quote:
I think the point is Jolt want to own the planetarion IP which is fair as they own the game. This is perfectly standard stuff, jolt cna;t have Mit running off with the code and using it for his own game for instance.
this has nothing to do with the nda. if mit WANTED to he could do this even with an signed nda (they would need an extra contract for that, because thats a _bit_ different, because its still mits copyright and he would have to grant jolt an EXLUSIVE, LIFETIME license [which in fact is not anything noted down in ndas usually ])
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 17:45   #45
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

Lo Biffy, and welcome to PA...

IT is interesting to have some one new post of the forum.. and you have much better communication skills that keef... thank god for that.

Anyway, thanks for the update... sounds interesting. Just keep communicating..because one long post, and nothing else... still means dis-communication...

I guess PA team did keep its promise after all.. and its good to see that jolt is starting to put the time into PA that PA needs...

Deathstar.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 22:32   #46
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

Welcome biffy and goodluck
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 23:17   #47
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
2. Pax was so good that it has do be redone now again.
Thats not the reason, the reasons are explained in other threads.

Quote:
3. spinner has to help now to get this old code ready for speedgames. in the "professional" projects i worked yet, there was something like documentation
If documentation takes 25 to 35% of the time, guess what is reduced/dropped first when resources are low ... I would say it would be rather unlikely to have a lot development- or even function- based documentation for such a project.

Nevertheless - even if the documentation would be great, the original creator of the whole stuff would still have an advantage. But even if he had none, getting Spinner back payed to make fixes,changes and PaX ready for speedgames means that Mit can develop the new rd11 code in parallel. So less time wasted and both ppl work on what they know best.

Quote:
Or it was the simple fact that they never before ran into a NDA. I dont know anything about the NDA Jolt required, but i know ppl can be surprised when they first run into NDA's. The legal system and lawyers did a great job in creating contract language and a legal situation where it's hard to overview what the real implication(s) of contracts are (if you are new to them).
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2004, 14:28   #48
Miner

Miner is an unknown quantity at this point

To biffy:

Well done for making what sounds like one of the most dedicated, explainitory and thought out posts in a while.

However, you're half way now, and I think the other half is showing the players that you can deliver what you say. I'm sure you can.
Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2004, 16:50   #49
CrazyConrad
DarnocYzarc

CrazyConrad is on a distinguished road

Planetarion Round 11 - Return of dah Spinnah!!
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 04:39   #50
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
In the past couple of years I've not played the game at all or had any involvement in the community. I've been involved in Online gaming by way of working full-time for GAME since early 2001 but Planetarion style games was not something we focused on there, it was mainly FPS stuff.
I work for GAME right now. The humility of an ex Fury Executive working in retail.

Welcome, nice to see you.

PS: What area of GAME did you work in?

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote