User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Jul 2003, 19:59   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
filesharing programs?

ok, im trying to download DS9 completly (which isnt a crime in my book, because it already was on tv here)
unfortunatly within the edonkey network there arent enough sources so that it takes about a month to download an episode

can anyone recommend some other fileshring program, at best something that works with linux?
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 20:00   #2
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Gnutella? (ie limeware etc)
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 20:12   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
http://www.tvtorrents.com/show.jsp?show_id=24 ?
DS9 on http://www.ircsearch.com/ ?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 20:33   #4
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
I use imesh and found tons of DS9 episodes.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 20:48   #5
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Re: filesharing programs?

Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
ok, im trying to download DS9 completly (which isnt a crime in my book, because it already was on tv here)
And that makes it legal? HAH!

YOU do not own the intellectual content that is DS9. Unless you bought the DVD's or something, but you didn't, because then downloading them would be rather redundant, wouldn't it? The fact that it was on TV is meaningless. You were not able to watch the show on TV unless you(or someone else) paid the cable/satellite provider some money. Hence transfer of money, ergo you, in effect 'rented' that episode fo viewig purposes.

You probably won't get caught, and even less likely to get charged, but it's still illegal.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 21:00   #6
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
and if i would have taped it? or is that illegal aswell?
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 21:04   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
yes, it is.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 21:16   #8
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
most things we do are illegal but nobody cares!
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 21:17   #9
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
they tried to ban video recorders when they first came out
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 21:21   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
most things we do are illegal but nobody cares!
Things like this make me realise in what sad world we live in.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 21:33   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: filesharing programs?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
You probably won't get caught, and even less likely to get charged, but it's still illegal.
So? He said "wasn't a crime in his book" - i.e. he was OK with the moral consequences. Who cares what it says in some statute book, especially if it's not enforced?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 21:39   #12
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
*flashbacks to last week's downloading tv episodes threads*
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 21:44   #13
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
yes, it is.
if everything you might want to tape on tv if prohibited, then why arent these things banned?
as far as i know its perfectly legal to tape whatever you want on tv, as long as you dont attempt to make any money with it.
(this is just a hypothetical discussion, because, to be honest, i dont give a damn )
(and didnt someone just a while ago make a thread about the same topic?)
anyway, to get back on topic, ill try gnutella, i think mldonkey already supports it, at least in some beta-state
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 22:05   #14
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I used Kazaalite to download every episode of Buffy and Babylon 5

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 22:27   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
as far as i know its perfectly legal to tape whatever you want on tv, as long as you dont attempt to make any money with it.
There really needs to be a FAQ for this forum as a sticky, since this debate has been done ad nausea. Short answer : It's probably illegal to tape (to keep) something off the telly. No-one cares though.
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 22:47   #16
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
There really needs to be a FAQ for this forum as a sticky, since this debate has been done ad nausea. Short answer : It's probably illegal to tape (to keep) something off the telly. No-one cares though.
It's probably more correct to say that no one has figured out an effective way to enforce it... yet.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 22:47   #17
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Actually this same exact arguement was going on in the 1970's when the first tape recorders started to show up. The outcome was that VCR's were legal because you had to 'buy' the data stream in order to record it.

However, downloading a file is different. You aren't buying anything, you aren't even paying the TV company that produced it. You're getting something for free. You aren't making anything, you're taking it from someone else.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 22:59   #18
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
It's probably more correct to say that no one has figured out an effective way to enforce it... yet.
If they banned video recorders their profits would go down so thye wont bother figuring it out.
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 23:35   #19
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
However, downloading a file is different. You aren't buying anything, you aren't even paying the TV company that produced it. You're getting something for free. You aren't making anything, you're taking it from someone else.
What are you "taking"?

I really don't see the distinction between any of the following :
#1 - You taping Friends off of NBC and lending me the cassette
#2 - You buying Friends on DVD and lending me the DVD
#3 - You recording Friends onto your HDD and "lending" me a digital copy via the internet.
#4 - You visiting a cinema and recording (via a camcorder say) a new movie and then lending me the tape/digital copy.

In all four examples I've given nothing to the creators, yet two of the above are possibly legal, the others probably aren't.

My position is simple : If I paint a mural on the side of my house, I cannot become angry when people walk past and enjoy the mural without paying me anything. Similarly, by broadcasting a film, movie, etc on television it enters a type of public domain. What individuals then do with "my" film/movie in the privacy of their own homes really is nothing to do with me. If I wanted payment for my mural efforts, or for my movie, I should have obtained funding via contract before commencing. No point whining after it's done.
Unread 20 Jul 2003, 02:49   #20
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
What are you "taking"?

I really don't see the distinction between any of the following :
#1 - You taping Friends off of NBC and lending me the cassette
#2 - You buying Friends on DVD and lending me the DVD
#3 - You recording Friends onto your HDD and "lending" me a digital copy via the internet.
#4 - You visiting a cinema and recording (via a camcorder say) a new movie and then lending me the tape/digital copy.

In all four examples I've given nothing to the creators, yet two of the above are possibly legal, the others probably aren't.

My position is simple : If I paint a mural on the side of my house, I cannot become angry when people walk past and enjoy the mural without paying me anything. Similarly, by broadcasting a film, movie, etc on television it enters a type of public domain. What individuals then do with "my" film/movie in the privacy of their own homes really is nothing to do with me. If I wanted payment for my mural efforts, or for my movie, I should have obtained funding via contract before commencing. No point whining after it's done.
Heh, I don't need to post now.