User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Mar 2003, 08:00   #1
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation GLOBAL THREAT: Lethal Asian Virus now in 10 nations, 3 weeks after being discovered

Discovered on Feb. 26th 2003, SARS has rapidly spread from its first victim in Southern China to now encompass 10 nations including the United States, Canada, and Great Britain.

SARS, Severe Acute Respitory Syndrome, was at first believed to be a sort of pneunomia, but does not respond to any known treatment. It is highly contagious and spreads very rapidly. Symptons usually occur with 2-5 days after being infected. The victim then die by the end of the next week. The World Health Organisation and the CDC have released these stastics gathered from the last 20 days since the virus was discovered:

Infected Nation & Confirmed Cases

China: 2000+ (before being censored)
City of Hong Kong: 150
Singapore: 31
Vietnam: 56
Taiwan: 3
Thailand: 1
United States: 11
Canada: 8
Spain: 1
United Kingdom: 1
Slovenia: 1
Germany: 1

Deaths Reported & Nation

China: Censored
City of Hong Kong: 5
Canada: 2
Vietnam: 2

Although there are only nine confirmed deaths (excluding China from which the virus orginated), it has only been 20 days since the virus was discovered. In excess of 2000 have been infected and reports from CNN China and Hong Kong imply numerous hospitals have been overrun or closed as the medical staff becomes infected. There is no known cure, vaccine, or treatment that has any effect on SARS. Canada is currently the only nation outside of Asia in which SARS has not been sucessfully contained. Those infected have a lifespan of generally 2 weeks after initial exposure. The CDC is currently considering initiating quarintine in Atlanta and New York hospitals where those infected have been isolated. There are 39 others in the United States that have reported SARS symptons (after travelling abroad) but have yet to be confirmed suggesting that the virus may too be loose in the United States.

Source: World Health Organisation Emergency Update

Last edited by Makain; 20 Mar 2003 at 08:33.
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 08:04   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Call me paranoid, but that thing would make a great bioweapon.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 08:06   #3
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
If it wasn't for the fact that it came from China (or therabouts) that's probably what the headlines would be calling it.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 08:07   #4
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Call me paranoid, but that thing would make a great bioweapon.
It probably would, and the same thought struck me when I read early reports about it. (hello paranoia)

However the Person who is currently "suffering" from this illness in the UK is responding to treatment, so it looks like at least one Health Service has got a grasp of how to treat the illness.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 08:08   #5
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Q : Should we be worried ?

A : This illness can be severe and, due to global travel, has spread to several countries in a relatively short period of time. Therefore, there is cause for concern. However, SARS is not highly contagious when protective measures are used, and the percentage of cases that have been fatal is low. More than 90% of the cases as of 15 March are in health workers who can protect themselves through barrier nursing techniques. Around 10% of cases to date are close contacts of hospital workers and patients. (Close contact means having cared for, lived with or having had direct contact with respiratory secretions and body fluids of a person with SARS.) Since the WHO global alert issued on 15 March , only isolated cases have been identified and no secondary outbreaks have occurred.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 08:12   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Judge
It probably would, and the same thought struck me when I read early reports about it. (hello paranoia)

However the Person who is currently "suffering" from this illness in the UK is responding to treatment, so it looks like at least one Health Service has got a grasp of how to treat the illness.
You see folks?

Beaurocracy saves lives!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 08:15   #7
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
There are 2 cases in the UK now, iirc.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 08:21   #8
Anaximander

Anaximander is an unknown quantity at this point
Singapoore and our german tropic deseases center think, they have the virus isolated. It is related to ths measels virus.
Some of the sick we have here are getting over it too. This whole affair remainds me of this bird grip that sprang over to man about 6 years ago in Singapore. It caused several thousand deaths (80.000 so somebody told me) worldwide. Not nice not good but in effect something like a really bad grip wave.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 08:25   #9
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Anaximander
Singapoore and our german tropic deseases center think, they have the virus isolated. It is related to ths measels virus.
Some of the sick we have here are getting over it too. This whole affair remainds me of this bird grip that sprang over to man about 6 years ago in Singapore. It caused several thousand deaths (80.000 so somebody told me) worldwide. Not nice not good but in effect something like a really bad grip wave.
Grip / griep = flu

for those who can't grasp it
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 08:27   #10
Anaximander

Quote:
Originally posted by xtrasyn
Grip / griep = flu

for those who can't grasp it

Thanks! I should have known the right translation but I forgot, damn...
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 08:30   #11
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Thanks! I should have known the right translation but I forgot, damn...
np m8

Unread 20 Mar 2003, 09:34   #12
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: GLOBAL THREAT: Lethal Asian Virus now in 10 nations, 3 weeks after being discovered

Quote:
Originally posted by Makain

Infected Nation & Confirmed Cases

China: 2000+ (before being censored)
City of Hong Kong: 150
Singapore: 31
Vietnam: 56
Taiwan: 3
Thailand: 1
United States: 11
Canada: 8
Spain: 1
United Kingdom: 1
Slovenia: 1
Germany: 1
Finland: 1

That's how I've heard.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 09:41   #13
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Great. 11 cities have an infection, and it just so happens that the first one was in Albuquerque.

OH AND LOOK! THE WIND IS BLOWING SOUTH! FUN FOR EVERYONE!

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 09:51   #14
Anaximander

Re: Re: GLOBAL THREAT: Lethal Asian Virus now in 10 nations, 3 weeks after being discovered

Quote:
Originally posted by Tietäjä
Finland: 1

That's how I've heard.
In Germany there are more than one. Atleast 2, less than 10. I'm not up to date to the actual numbers. The first are already over it.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 10:34   #15
Mistar Bataur

This virus has been identified by scientists as a member of the paramyxoviridae family. It is indeed leathal, but can be threated. The effect varies from person to person.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 10:37   #16
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai

OH AND LOOK! THE WIND IS BLOWING SOUTH! FUN FOR EVERYONE!
doesn't that mean you're in for another four weeks of winter, and some nice groundhog stew?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 15:47   #17
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Apparently it's not related to the measels virus but to the pnumeonia family.If it was related to the measels then we'd all be fked as that family is highly contagious,SARS is far less contagious than that,yo have to have prolonged contact with an infected person.

It seem's the main issue's gonna arrise in China where it originated.Unless they gain control of the spread of the bug then you never know how far it'll spread over time.

Im supprised conspiricay nut's arent having a field day with this,most of the doomsday ppl have been very quiet after the world didnt end in 2000,2001 and 2002 as they predicted...
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 16:02   #18
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by Mistar Bataur
This virus has been identified by scientists as a member of the paramyxoviridae family. It is indeed leathal, but can be threated. The effect varies from person to person.
Everything is lethal.
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 16:27   #19
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by W
Everything is lethal.
Is a funeral lethal?
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 17:34   #20
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyp
Is a funeral lethal?
I am not a doctor, but I believe a sufficient quantity of funerals all bearing their weight on a person's skull could easily be fatal.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 17:36   #21
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Finland is responsible.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 18:55   #22
Dookie Velvet
Banned

Dookie Velvet is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it's really throughtless of you all to bring up a potential threat to world health at a time when we, as a global community, need to stand strong against Saddam and the French. Your namby pamby bleeding heart Center For Disease Control, World Health Organization propaganda over what may well be the start of the global influenza pandemic long feared by epidemiologists sickens me and I'm appalled you'd let these 'doctors' pull your strings.
Dookie Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 00:16   #23
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyp
Is a funeral lethal?
Perhaps not to the same degree as this disease, but yeah.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 21:07   #24
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Dookie Velvet
I think it's really throughtless of you all to bring up a potential threat to world health at a time when we, as a global community, need to stand strong against Saddam and the French. Your namby pamby bleeding heart Center For Disease Control, World Health Organization propaganda over what may well be the start of the global influenza pandemic long feared by epidemiologists sickens me and I'm appalled you'd let these 'doctors' pull your strings.
SARS has spread to 10 US States in the last 2 days. There wont be a war in Iraq pretty soon.
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 21:13   #25
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Makain
SARS has spread to 10 US States in the last 2 days. There wont be a war in Iraq pretty soon.
This SARS might actually be good for something then.