User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Jan 2003, 22:26   #1
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Japanese

Why. Why does this language have to have 3 alphabets. Why can't it just be easy like english.

God freaking dammit

/me goes back to studying

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2003, 22:31   #2
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I was going to post something here, but the last one I made, directed at the Chinese was edited. If I do it again I'll probably get banned.

(they still farm whales!!!)
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2003, 22:54   #3
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Japanese

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
Why. Why does this language have to have 3 alphabets. Why can't it just be easy like english.

God freaking dammit

/me goes back to studying
There's hiragana and katakana with 46 letters each... What's the third? Is the third the Chinese alphabet?
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2003, 23:00   #4
Mirai

Re: Re: Japanese

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyp
There's hiragana and katakana with 46 letters each... What's the third? Is the third the Chinese alphabet?
Yes.

With a staggering 800 some characters.

Makes me want to rethink this class.

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Unread 26 Jan 2003, 23:21   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: Japanese

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyp
There's hiragana and katakana with 46 letters each... What's the third?
kanji
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2003, 23:27   #6
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
why bother learning Japanese? Make the lazy bastards learn English
Unread 26 Jan 2003, 23:32   #7
Mirai

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloomers III
why bother learning Japanese? Make the lazy bastards learn English
English is a required course in Japan.

I'm learning japanese because I want to. No other reason.

Unread 26 Jan 2003, 23:34   #8
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Re: Re: Japanese

Quote:
Yes.

far more than a mere 800. and it's trivial, jsut a memory exercise anyway. I like it cos it has les grammar then English... but now I'm onto chinese (mandarin), even less grammar still. It's ace.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2003, 23:35   #9
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
English is a required course in Japan.

I'm learning japanese because I want to. No other reason.
yokatta ne. ganbatte!

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2003, 23:44   #10
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
I've studied German, Spanish, French and Serbo-Croatian as well as the Cyrillic alphabet. I think that is enough for one life. I will leave the Asian language to you young folks.
Unread 26 Jan 2003, 23:46   #11
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
Hint hint. If you learn Chinese, you'll read Kanji! 2 for 1!
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 00:19   #12
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: Re: Re: Japanese

Quote:
Yes.

Try Cantonese

I'm learning (slowly) to speak it but don't think I'll ever be able to read it.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 01:55   #13
starbreeze

starbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Re: Japanese

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Try Cantonese

I'm learning (slowly) to speak it but don't think I'll ever be able to read it.
cantonese=mandrin...only spoken differently, dialects (of which there are many in China)...kinda like how scots and english have same written but can't understand each others spoken tongue.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 02:08   #14
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Japanese

Quote:
Originally posted by starbreeze
cantonese=mandrin...only spoken differently, dialects (of which there are many in China)...kinda like how scots and english have same written but can't understand each others spoken tongue.
It's a little more than that. They have some characters which Mandarin just doesn't have. They made those up to facilitate their speech in writing. That's why I can't really read some of the HK newspapers despite my fluency in reading both Simplified and Traditional Chinese.

FYI, there are 202 dialects in China.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 02:22   #15
starbreeze

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Japanese

Quote:
Originally posted by Auro
It's a little more than that. They have some characters which Mandarin just doesn't have. They made those up to facilitate their speech in writing. That's why I can't really read some of the HK newspapers despite my fluency in reading both Simplified and Traditional Chinese.

FYI, there are 202 dialects in China.
omg u actually know how many dialects there are in china!!

and didn't know about the character thing...but eh...leaving when your 5 yrs old doesn't exactly promote language growth
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 03:24   #16
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

hehheh.

I speak 4 Chinese dialects including Mandarin.

Use teh search function to find my "Chinese food" article. :nerd:
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:13   #17
starbreeze

clearly ur chinese >mine

pitiful handful of mandrin...some other dialects thrown in....ffs...my gr4 cousin beats me
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 10:56   #18
Gargle
drunk as usual.

Gargle is an unknown quantity at this point
japanese is a pure comedy language. my friend had one course of it and he doesnt really know anything more than to say something like "my name is blablabla" "how you doing?" etc etc. but it's soooooooooooo funny when he talks it, sounds like he wants to kill meh or sumthn extremely violent, heh.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 12:52   #19
Lord Zor
Super Trooper

Lord Zor is an unknown quantity at this point
I tryed to learn Japanese on the soul basic of I wanted to import anime from japan and watch with out the ****ty dub, subtitles, or fansubs
am I jump all nimbly bimly from tree to tree?am I drinking milk from a saucer?
Do you see me eating mice?
Lord Zor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 08:05   #20
Mirai

Quote:
Originally posted by Gargle
japanese is a pure comedy language. my friend had one course of it and he doesnt really know anything more than to say something like "my name is blablabla" "how you doing?" etc etc. but it's soooooooooooo funny when he talks it, sounds like he wants to kill meh or sumthn extremely violent, heh.
no, that's german

Unread 28 Jan 2003, 08:35   #21
Gargle
drunk as usual.

Gargle is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
no, that's german
yes i've seen that. it was humorous. but it is japanese that he speaks. i do the german part... and one of my m8s does the estonian part and one other the english part.. it's mildly amusing to go to some pub and start talking with those languages.. the ppl dont really know what they should try to speak to us when we order beer.. 's big fun.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 10:20   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Japanese

Quote:
Why. Why does this language have to have 3 alphabets.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote