User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 26 Aug 2007, 20:46   #1
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts
Problems with the in game forums

Ok firstly kudos for trying but why?? This page needs some serious thoughts concerning its design.

Sorted - 1) With 2 forums plus the annoucements this page will become amazingly cluttered, especially for alliance HC. 30-60 links on 1 page will just look rubbish and be horrible to use

Sorted - 2) You can navigate to the forums from the alliance page and then cant carry on within the alliance section. Normally I do all my alliance stuff in 1 go so going in and out of the alliance page will be a right pain.

Sorted I think. TBC - 3) The threads do not always line up correctly, instead sometimes they apprear right aligned or aligned completely at random.

Sorted - 4) There is no delete confirmation page or way to recover a thread so I just can't wait for the first arguement when someone deletes something they shouldn't.

5) When I deleted a thread last night (by accident I should point out) I got an SQL error message.

6) When writing in the text box I get a flickering white box to the left of the post box which is darn annoying

7) Links do not seem to work no matter what myself or someone else tried.

Sorted - 8) The default security level on new topics is set to applicant which is way too low and scary. Once every 72 ticks you can apply to an alliance and see what has been misentered. This should be set to members with applicants an option only.

Sorted - 9) The edited post text is truely clutter and badly placed. It should be smaller than the main text with a line between the post and it so the page is more readable

For the sanity of the F-crew command who here me complain about them every time I create a thread or post please code this section properly with a look to the details rather than the slap dash effort that we are blighted with today
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...

Last edited by Rc mayhem; 30 Aug 2007 at 00:13.
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 12:27   #2
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts
Re: Problems with the in game forums

No longer relivant however there is an inconsistancy in the alliance section where the link is forums and the page title is Forum. Should be the same - 10) The links to the forums page should be "Forums" rather than "Forum". There is now more than 1 therefore the plural should be used.

Last edited by Rc mayhem; 30 Aug 2007 at 01:03.
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 14:57   #3
csillag

csillag is on a distinguished road

11) One cannot check the access level of threads, which can be pretty annoying in case you forgot to set the appropriate security level and it's on default - "applicant". Way to leak alliance infos...

- retired -
csillag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 19:31   #4
carld

carld is on a distinguished road

I have to admit, the new forums are pretty annoying to use, and these issues they posted about are rather frustrating and should really be fixed before the round starts.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 19:43   #5
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by csillag
11) One cannot check the access level of threads, which can be pretty annoying in case you forgot to set the appropriate security level and it's on default - "applicant". Way to leak alliance infos...
After I found this when I signed up on Friday evening I went to #support

<Smudge> i think ive found a bug!
<Cin[Away]> which is?
<Smudge> on the forums page
<Smudge> i've applied to join an alliance and not been accepted
<Smudge> yet I can see / post on them
<Cin[Away]> applicants can see ally forums, and the default thread creation level is for applicants...if ppl don't pay attention to that, applicants will see the threads
<Smudge> isnt it silly having the default level that low?
<Cin[Away]> probably just as silly as ppl not bothering to change it when posting
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 20:44   #6
carld

Wow, an amazingly asinine response from #support. Good customer relations there.
Unread 28 Aug 2007, 01:05   #7
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah, sounds like alliance forums should be preset to members and above as opposed to applicants and above.
Unread 28 Aug 2007, 11:45   #8
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

The threads are now set to the default of 'all accepted' (recruits, members, pr, bc, hc)
so.. applicants can't read them unless you change the setting to applicants.
Unread 28 Aug 2007, 22:21   #9
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I still have to say that putting the galaxy forum & the ally forum on the same page is not that good.
Hardly any posts on either and it's allready confusing me

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Aug 2007, 22:35   #10
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
I still have to say that putting the galaxy forum & the ally forum on the same page is not that good.
Hardly any posts on either and it's allready confusing me
The new topic links are especially confusing give the one for galaxies almost aligns with the alliance forum.

So if the level thing is sorted whats happening with the other items on my list?
Unread 28 Aug 2007, 22:45   #11
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

wait.. there's a header that says galaxy forum on the top and you have your galaxy threads.. then another header that says alliance threads, and your alliance threads are under that.. what's the confusing part?
Unread 28 Aug 2007, 23:32   #12
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice

Its on the same page I will guess on.
I dont want them on the same page.
I liked the old forums actually
Unread 28 Aug 2007, 23:42   #13
Aryn
Happy

but if there was a better way of separating them or distinguishing them from each other while still keeping them on the same page would that work?
Unread 28 Aug 2007, 23:58   #14
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Why do you want them on the same page though? There will be 60+ threads on there by the end of the round which will be sucky.
Unread 29 Aug 2007, 00:05   #15
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice

Why did forums get changed btw?
I belive that was on of the things that was working from before
Unread 29 Aug 2007, 00:15   #16
Aryn
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
Why do you want them on the same page though? There will be 60+ threads on there by the end of the round which will be sucky.

oops.. didn't think about that part..
Unread 29 Aug 2007, 11:25   #17
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritfire
Why did forums get changed btw?
I belive that was on of the things that was working from before
if it aint broke, fix it
if it is broke, leave it

[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2007, 12:03   #18
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

On the whole the forums have been changed for the better, its just the having them all on the same page and the fact clicking forum in alliance section jumping you out of the alliance section that are really the problems
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2007, 14:44   #19
Spectator1
Unregistered User

Spectator1 is a splendid one to beholdSpectator1 is a splendid one to beholdSpectator1 is a splendid one to beholdSpectator1 is a splendid one to beholdSpectator1 is a splendid one to beholdSpectator1 is a splendid one to beholdSpectator1 is a splendid one to behold

12) Cannot give topic titles a color

I really liked that feature. It allowed us to use certain colors for certain important topics. I hope you'll restore that.

If I remeber correctly:
r1 LBF =LOST's Buccaneers Flotilla
r2&3 LBF (Information Officer)
r15 HA =Hidden Agenda
r16&17 HA (BC)
r18-23 HA (HC)
Currently on Hiatus
Spectator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2007, 23:58   #20
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

13) Stop me getting this error message

Code:
An unexpected error occured at 22:53:12
Error #0: Database connection error

This error may have occured due to routine work on the system or may have already been reported. Please check for any announcements or discussion in the forums before reporting this error to PATeam as we can only handle so many messages! Please remember to copy and paste this message in it's entirity or else we will not be able to properly investigate it's cause.
0 DBD driver has not implemented the AutoCommit attribute at /usr/lib/perl5/DBI.pm line 672. pa::standard

Last edited by Rc mayhem; 30 Aug 2007 at 00:10.
Unread 30 Aug 2007, 00:08   #21
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

oo some updates just happened, prob as #13 happened. I have crossed out the items that have now happened
Unread 31 Aug 2007, 13:02   #22
carld

Looks like the Alliance navigation menu is back at the top of the forums, thanks!
Unread 2 Sep 2007, 02:00   #23
Kenny

In general the new forum system sucks.

I've not been playing for as long as some people, but this is the single only change I've ever had the reaction "wtf?".

Guys, I LIKED the old system. The old system was GOOD. It was efficient and ridiculously easy to use.

What possible use could we have for all these extra features?

Gal forums should be used for:

Quickly summing up incoming
Storing contact info for reference
Communicating messages when IRC access is limited/non-existant.

These new forums = hassle and compatability issues.

Simple is better, this is not.

PLEASE change them back :'(
Unread 2 Sep 2007, 04:37   #24
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
In general the new forum system sucks...
PLEASE change them back :'(
Unread 2 Sep 2007, 15:20   #25
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Hey, at least the planetarion change-log could show a major change to the game. So why are people unhappy?
Unread 2 Sep 2007, 15:32   #26
Kenny

lol Heartless. Yes, THAT is what is important! Not the gameplay, the interface or the interaction we have with the game... but the CHANGELOG! it all seems so clear to me now :P

Would the changelog not then look even better to have ANOTHER big change to the game, if we CHANGED IT BACK?

:P
Unread 3 Sep 2007, 12:39   #27
DJet
Wearer of The Hat

DJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the rough

14) sort out the column widths - Last post is the problem, when someone with a long alliance nick / ruler name is the last post it screws up the layout totally (having to break onto a second line).

15) do we really need to know how many views a thread has had? can it not be shown when you actually view the thread and not on the frontpage. This would help free up some space to solve #14