User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:22   #1
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Apparently...

...the universe is flat. I always thought it was curved (too much Hawking I suppose). This apparently is the data that proves it, can one of you physics genius types enlighten us poor plebs?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:24   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Apparently...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Hawking
Curved Space-Time is from General Relativity, which has so far been accurate...
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:26   #3
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: Re: Apparently...

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Curved Space-Time is from General Relativity, which has so far been accurate...
Unfortunately (like most of the population) I got most of my education in cosmology from Brief History of Time. It's depressing when physicists s****** at you in conversations

[edit] Stupid filter, I suppose I could always have used smirk [/edit]
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:27   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Read The Elegant Universe.

Or The Feynman Lectures on Physics, ubut they cost £87 and are technical.
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:30   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Read The Elegant Universe.

Or The Feynman Lectures on Physics, ubut they cost £87 and are technical.
The Royal Society Christmas Lecture is more my level
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:30   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
The Royal Society Christmas Lecture is more my level
Read The Elegent Universe dear.
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:32   #7
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Read The Elegent Universe dear.
I shall endeavour to locate a copy at some point
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:32   #8
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
...the universe is flat. I always thought it was curved (too much Hawking I suppose). This apparently is the data that proves it, can one of you physics genius types enlighten us poor plebs?
eh.

Looks like they are saying that it is neither a spherical universe nor a hyperbolic universe, both of which were proposed more out of fact that they were possible than that they were likely.

But even then it really doesn't say much, because if their data is off by even the slightest bit in either direction from flat it will go to one of the others.

so we can basically say for sure that this puts us exactly where we were before.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:33   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I shall endeavour to locate a copy at some point
Borrow mine. As I can't be bothered to send it by post, you'd have to come and fetch it yourself, which would be more expensive than buying your own copy but you'd have the satisfaction of reading my one. Actually, www.amazon.co.uk or a library on second thoughts.
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:44   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

This thread needs someone to start posting misunderstood hawking physics so I can correct them and look
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:54   #11
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
yes of course.

according to 'superstring theory,' the universe is one giant one dimensional loop. now it has long been debated whether this loop was flat or round, or corkscrewed kind of like DNA.

Now I know you are wondering how come everything looks three dimensional when we are actually in a one dimensional loop, the trick is that this loop is actually just a subset of either 10 or 27 dimensional space depending on who you talk to. on a log scale, 1 and 27 dimensions average out to about 3 so there you go (and 27 happens to be 3^3, if you want to look at it that way).
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:56   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
yes of course.

according to 'superstring theory,' the universe is one giant one dimensional loop. now it has long been debated whether this loop was flat or round, or corkscrewed kind of like DNA.

Now I know you are wondering how come everything looks three dimensional when we are actually in a one dimensional loop, the trick is that this loop is actually just a subset of either 10 or 27 dimensional space depending on who you talk to. on a log scale, 1 and 27 dimensions average out to about 3 so there you go (and 27 happens to be 3^3, if you want to look at it that way).
I presume this is in reference to my post about talking bollocks
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:59   #13
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
I presume this is in reference to my post about talking bollocks
don't be sad little one.

if you don't like my posts, you can just edit them. ta da!
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 02:01   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
if you don't like my posts, you can just edit them. ta da!
But you're not giles or nodrog
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 02:24   #15
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

1) Behold, foolish curved universist, I present you with an incontrovertible proof that the universe is flat.
2) [Flat universist posts 10,000 word document without a single paragraph break]
3) [curved universist's eyes implode]
4) I see that you have not refuted (2).
5) Therefore, the universe is flat.

Somehow, without even starting, I already think it would take a while to read that, especially in the middle of the night...
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 02:45   #16
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
It was a mistake clicking this thread...
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 02:46   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Cmdr_Cyrax
It was a mistake clicking this thread...
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 02:51   #18
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Quote:
Rescued valiantly by Jackanory, of course
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 02:52   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Rescued valiantly by Jackanory, of course
Ta wiggles (what is it about your family and giving me silly nicknames*?)

*sillier* nicknames

*less silly.
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 02:59   #20
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Dunno,

I spose we just spot an error in the space-time-continuum and fix it.........

It's a hobby
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 03:01   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Dunno,

I spose we just spot an error in the space-time-continuum and fix it.........

It's a hobby
I think it's because you're all mad
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 03:07   #22
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Quote:
I think it's because you're all mad
Quite possibly this too.
I have begun checking all the letters of my swimming certificates with a microscope....
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 03:11   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Quite possibly this too.
I have begun checking all the letters of my swimming certificates with a microscope....
You're not Rimmer and this isn't a Total Immersion Video Game.

[edit]
Or was it in the captain's note in Back to Reality?
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 03:16   #24
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Quote:
You're not Rimmer and this isn't a Total Immersion Video Game.
Oh sure. I know that now.

What a waste of time...

p.s. it was back to reality
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 03:19   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
p.s. it was back to reality
It was a microdot in an i, but was it in a letter from the captain or the swimming certs... I forget.

(I knew it was BtR)
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 03:23   #26
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

<Theamion> <CmdrCyrax> i have utterly hijacked gayle's thread
<Theamion> ur so cool
<meaple> CmdrCyrax: die
<CmdrCyrax> jaques chirac (MrL) had a key role
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 03:25   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I'm not french dammit

I'LL KILL YOU
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 03:28   #28
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Quote:
I'm not french dammit

I'LL KILL YOU

Micheal_rL_Jackson?
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 03:29   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:

MicheaL_JacKson?
I always get confused when people talk about 'MJ', because I think they're talking about me.
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 03:32   #30
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Like your parents,

you must choose your name carefully...