User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:08   #1
cheekybru
Synaptidian

cheekybru is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem With HTML

I want a feature on my website so that i can click differnt countries flags, and it will translate the website to that language, is there code to do this? or script? Or do i need to write the webby in all the languages out each time?

<vampy> Cheek is 1337
<Zeus> Cheek is 1337 <-- maybe?
<idimmu> Cheek is 1337
cheekybru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:13   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Hehehe. Amusing
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:16   #3
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Although there are such things available, if the translated results are actually supposed to be read by humans or humanoids afterwards, I suspect it may not be completely optimal.
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:17   #4
Idi

youll need to do each seperatly

but i wouldnt bother really
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:17   #5
cheekybru
Synaptidian

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Hehehe. Amusing
Not helpfull Gayle :/

<vampy> Cheek is 1337
<idimmu> Cheek is 1337
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:19   #6
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
If you go to my homepage you will see I have done just that - feel free to look at the source for that bit, it's basically just links to trans engines.

http://www.sayonara.info

Try translating stuff then translating it back to English - it's hilarious
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:21   #7
cheekybru
Synaptidian

Thx Sayonara

<vampy> Cheek is 1337
<idimmu> Cheek is 1337
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:23   #8
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Babel Fish
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:25   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by cheekybru
Not helpfull Gayle :/
Sorry

In a more helpful vein BT are working on an electronic translation system (amongst other things) but don't expect a decent (and publicly available) version for quite some time. In the meantime there are the online translation places but they all suck so massively it's a miracle we aren't all pulled into the vortex and squished
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:26   #10
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
Babel Fish
With AltaVista Babel Fish, your users can translate passages of text or entire Web pages among nine languages, or they can quickly translate your page into their language of choice.

To French...

Avec des poissons d'AltaVista Babel, vos utilisateurs peuvent traduire des passages de texte ou de pages entières d'enchaînement parmi neuf langues, ou ils peuvent rapidement traduire votre page en leur langue de choix.

Back to English...

With fish of AltaVista Babel, your users can translate passages of text or whole pages of sequence among nine languages, or they can quickly translate your page into their language of choice.

Conclusion: Not bad really.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:30   #11
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by sayonara
With AltaVista Babel Fish, your users can translate passages of text or entire Web pages among nine languages, or they can quickly translate your page into their language of choice.

To French...

Avec des poissons d'AltaVista Babel, vos utilisateurs peuvent traduire des passages de texte ou de pages entières d'enchaînement parmi neuf langues, ou ils peuvent rapidement traduire votre page en leur langue de choix.

Back to English...

With fish of AltaVista Babel, your users can translate passages of text or whole pages of sequence among nine languages, or they can quickly translate your page into their language of choice.

Conclusion: Not bad really.
And you don't think they made sure their own page would translate well when they designed it?

Take the first post in this thread, translate to Germanm then back again and you get...
Quote:
I wish a characteristic on my website, thereby I differnt to land marking signs to click can and it the website to this language, am there the code translated to do to this? or index? Or do I have to write webby into all languages from each time?
Conclusion: Crap.]
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:38   #12
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
And you don't think they made sure their own page would translate well when they designed it?
That was a commentary on that particular translation, not the service.

Since I have not used all parts of the entire service I can't really give a verdict on it's quality, now can I?
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:42   #13
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:

Take the first post in this thread, translate to Germanm then back again and you get...

Conclusion: Crap.]
Have you created a language convertor recently? Personally I think that Babel fish does a good enough job... Especially when its a free service

And how many languages do you know to be able to comment? Just because it cant to a perfect conversion back and from one language doesnt mean its not doing a good job one way.

Dont forget that other languages use very complex constructs compared to English, including Gender. I most cases it is impossible to do anything more than a Literal translation (Converting one word for another) I didnt think this was supposed to be a grammer checker as well

If you want alternative languages that are perfect you'd have to write international sites, like the big boys do, which are updated by those who speak the language.

No doubt future translators may be able to do more, but then logically you are looking at one hefty server to do the processing.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 12:54   #14
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
Have you created a language convertor recently?
Stupid question.
Quote:
Personally I think that Babel fish does a good enough job... Especially when its a free service
Free or paid for, makes no difference to the objective quality of the output. It's crap for getting anything other than the most general idea of what's going on. All your base etc...
Quote:
And how many languages do you know to be able to comment?
A little French, a fair bit of German, English (obviously), a (very) little Arabic and currently studying Cantonese.
Quote:
Just because it cant to a perfect conversion back and from one language doesnt mean its not doing a good job one way.
Good point, so get a native German speaker to translate the same post I did and comment on it's crapness.
Quote:
Dont forget that other languages use very complex constructs compared to English, including Gender. I most cases it is impossible to do anything more than a Literal translation (Converting one word for another) I didnt think this was supposed to be a grammer checker as well
A grammar checker is exactly what it should be. I could write a literal translator myself ffs.
Quote:
If you want alternative languages that are perfect you'd have to write international sites, like the big boys do, which are updated by those who speak the language.

No doubt future translators may be able to do more, but then logically you are looking at one hefty server to do the processing.
So you're saying the current ones are crap? Why didn't you just agree with me in the first place then?
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 13:11   #15
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
www.freetranslation.com

is a bit better imho for translation/
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 14:20   #16
CjC
Throwing Shapes

Quote:
[b]Stupid question.
[b]
Free or paid for, makes no difference to the objective quality of the output. It's crap for getting anything other than the most general idea of what's going on. All your base etc...
[b]
A little French, a fair bit of German, English (obviously), a (very) little Arabic and currently studying Cantonese.
[b]
Good point, so get a native German speaker to translate the same post I did and comment on it's crapness.
[b]
A grammar checker is exactly what it should be. I could write a literal translator myself ffs.

So you're saying the current ones are crap? Why didn't you just agree with me in the first place then?
OK, link me a good one then
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 14:35   #17
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
OK, link me a good one then
To the best of my knowledge there isn't one, certainly not one I would consider 'good'.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 14:38   #18
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
The thread topic is "Problem With HTML"

Why?

It's not a problem with HTML at all.

Bad boy.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 14:44   #19
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The thread creator wanted to do this with a simple HTML command ad wanted to know how. Thats a problem with HTML.

That fact that thats impossible is secondary.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 15:59   #20
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's an e-mail I sent to Intertran, complimenting the quality of their translator. I wrote it in Danish, but translated it to English for them (using their translator).

Original e-mail:
Quote:
Subject: May I pay extra for InterTran?
Oversat med InterTran: (Uoversat version nedenunder.)
Translated by InterTran: (Untranslated version below.)

Dear [InterTran],

It is the glorious [at] I found [jeres] [oversætningshjemmeside]. A prior at time have got to I herself translate verbatim, and all along do me odd along [at] avoid rod- and [gramatiske] amiss, but along [jeres] automatic compiler, accords facts mere as a game. It is a good thing that I am loosening in order to slow peep mine [oversatte] documents through, after all except [at] find all defects.

It is the saw strange [at] any am comprehending how much accuracy signifies ago clients. For some time to come needing I do not peep translations through, as facts am becoming automatic done saw accurate, as a hot knife by butter.

I've aged a prior dare bank on automatic compilers, but I against as good luck would have it [at] body do not am going to [skue] dog at [hårene]. I counts [at] [jeres] assembler accords as hot bread.

(This [e]-[mail] am above at Danish.)

Uoversat: (Oversat version ovenover.)
Untranslated: (Translated version above.)

Kære InterTran,

Det er vidunderligt at jeg fandt jeres oversætningshjemmeside. Før i tiden måtte jeg selv oversætte ord for ord, og hele tiden gøre mig umage med at undgå stave- og gramatiske fejl, men med jeres automatiske oversætter, går det bare som en leg. Det er godt at jeg slipper for at langsomt kigge mine oversatte tekster igennem, alligevel uden at finde alle fejlene.

Det er så rart at nogen forstår hvor meget nøjagtigheden betyder for kunderne. I den kommende tid behøver jeg ikke kigge oversættelserne igennem, da det bliver automatisk gjort så nøjagtigt, som en varm kniv gennem smør.

Jeg har aldrig før turde stole på automatiske oversættere, men jeg ved heldigvis at man ikke skal skue hunden på hårene.

Jeg regner med at jeres program går som varmt brød.

(Dette e-mail er oversat fra dansk.)
I never got a reply.
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 16:01   #21
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyp
<snip>
Hehehehe
das blinkenlights!!!