User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Jul 2006, 02:59   #1
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future
Free account time limit

I was going to make a rather long post with suggestions on altering the limits of free planets to make them more useful, however it would be easier just to give free accounts all the features available in the game and limit it to a trial.

Give free accounts a time limit of 2 weeks, after which the account goes into something similar to vacation mode so you can keep your co-ords. If the planet doesn't get upgraded within 48-72 hours then it can be moved into cluster 200.

Why? It might help get rid of the players who have no intention of upgrading or playing seriously. People criticise those who quickly exile free accounts, but the free accounts which never upgrade contribute very little to Planetarion. If a free player is actually good enough then either their galaxy or alliance is usually willing to upgrade them.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2006, 05:53   #2
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Free account time limit

I like
Unread 21 Jul 2006, 09:13   #3
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

1) Two weeks is barely enough time to hit the current limits
2) Two weeks is barely enough time to experiance the game
3) Two weeks is probally not enough time for an alliance to decide if they are worth spending money on, especially as anyone applying for an alliance first needs to choose one, then needs interviewed, will probally get turned down by the first couple and then by the time they get accepted they are half way through their time
4) Two weeks is barely enough time for a galaxy to decide if they should keep the person, especially as they will almost certainly get bounced around a couple first

It basically has no advantages over the current system, alliances and galaxies will give free players even less of a chance as 90% of them arent worth spending money on and the lower end of the game will end up lacking players for the galaxies as most free people would just find their account locked.

The only other option would be to increase the trail period significantly, but then you get to the point of whats the point in the majority of the game paying.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2006, 10:57   #4
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

make it 4 weeks then

good idea actually
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2006, 12:33   #5
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

2 weeks should be enough to learn about the combat system, personally I've launched about 15 attacks. Even a new player should be able to launch a few fleets before the end of the limit, if they don't manage to launch anything then I seriously doubt any galaxy would want them.

I just want to see more players being encouraged to pay for the game. At the moment these players get a free account with some limits, the problem is that they don't see any point in upgrading, they can play the game as they like because nobody is getting rid of their free account. If they eventually have to pay then there is probably more chance of them upgrading instead of just leeching a permanent free account.

Maybe it could be eventually changed so that each passport account (if they ever do it by the end of the decade) gets 1 free trial, to prevent someone creating yet another new account.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2006, 12:45   #6
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
Why? It might help get rid of the players who have no intention of upgrading or playing seriously.
What is wrong with not playing 'seriously'?
Unread 21 Jul 2006, 15:29   #7
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

I like the idea. I think 3 weeks is feasable timetable for someone to see the game and decide if they wish to continue playing or not.

That will, as a possibility, make this game more rewarding (bring back the T-Shirts ! That was THEE ulimate goal), and make it such, that winning galaxy gets one per planet, plus one for everyone in top 3, with a possibility of #1 getting something special, and 4-10 getting consolation prizes such as mousepads, etc...

Considering by how muc hthat should increase the cash flow into the game, Jolt should cash in, and, hence reinvest into rewards.

This game needs to be revamped in order to stay alive. were down to 13 clusters ffs..

that from 400+ that I remember
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2006, 15:46   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighteh
that from 400+ that I remember
Nah, even r4 didn't make it much over 300 clusters.

PS I wish I had a t-shirt
Unread 21 Jul 2006, 16:49   #9
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Nah, even r4 didn't make it much over 300 clusters.

PS I wish I had a t-shirt
There were 25 planets per galaxy and 50 galaxies per cluster so my my calculations that makes it around 144 clusters. Would have probally been atleast 150 mind you as not all galaxies were full

On the idea I still dont think switching from limited free accounts to full but time limited accounts helps. Actually if anything all it does is give alot of the universe the chance to play for 2-4 weeks see how things are going and then quit if thinsg arent going well without paying for a round that at this point could already be screwed up for them
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2006, 02:12   #10
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
There were 25 planets per galaxy and 50 galaxies per cluster so my my calculations that makes it around 144 clusters. Would have probally been atleast 150 mind you as not all galaxies were full

On the idea I still dont think switching from limited free accounts to full but time limited accounts helps. Actually if anything all it does is give alot of the universe the chance to play for 2-4 weeks see how things are going and then quit if thinsg arent going well without paying for a round that at this point could already be screwed up for them
I was in 257:25 and I am fairly sure 2E5 even had some c300 member galaxy.
Unread 22 Jul 2006, 04:30   #11
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

I dislike the idea. Free planets make good farms for zik players. They can make all ship types and are easy to fleet catch.

Plus many people just wait until Havoc to start playing as a free account. How are they going to have fun if they did not upgrade before Havoc starts?

Personally I played 3-4 rounds as a free account once this game went p2p. I really started having fun once I got upgraded and joined an alliance but without the free planet option I would not have bothered.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2006, 15:34   #12
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
the free accounts which never upgrade contribute very little to Planetarion.
People with free accounts do contribute to PA, anything that increases the number of planets in the Universe is good. Also some people with free accounts still use IRC. Some of the best banter I've had in my galaxy channels has been with people with free accounts. The ETA restrictions also don't hamper them when it comes to sending in-galaxy defence.

Also people who play a substantial part of the round with a free account are more likely to upgrade come future rounds. This can often take more than just two or three weeks.
Unread 26 Jul 2006, 10:03   #13
aestuos
No Alliance

aestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really nice

This overall is a terrible idea? you need a round to experience Planetarion surely.

and as chubbyChecker said anything that contributes to PA playerbase is good for the game

or not
aestuos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2006, 21:45   #14
-TPM-

-TPM- is on a distinguished road

Maybe free acounts should just be lumped together in the same Gal's, if they upgrade they get a free exile into one of the upgraded gals.
Unread 28 Jul 2006, 14:05   #15
aestuos
No Alliance

aestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really nice

that wont work

you have to relasie that if a newbie player is in a top100 gal hell feel like hes got sumwhere to aim for. Putting him or her in a gal with other people who cant play is a terrible ideas.

The learing curve for new players is quite high and we all forget this. Free planets are perfect as they are we need them to keep PA going as next round they might upgrade.

We need to help these people play PA and teach them why were so addicted to it if we cant do that then were failing PA as a community

or not
aestuos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2006, 01:01   #16
-TPM-

-TPM- is on a distinguished road

Well how long do you think the free newbie in the top100 gal would last? IMO it'd be better to start in a bad Gal. than be bounced around for half the round untill you landed in one....