User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 5 Sep 2005, 20:22   #101
GladiatorLT

GladiatorLT can only hope to improve
Re: Round XV Galaxy System

ok... first of all...
i saw someone saying:
"remove exile possibilities for packs... they will be forced to fix galaxies"
- - -
I do not know how long have u been playing this game, but it surtainly is not that easy. sometimes impossible. i was biggest value cath last round and GC in my gala. we exiled extensively, sometimes 5 ppl a day and reached a point when our galaxy became 2nd in universe and it stayd like that till the end. this round whoever people in my galaxy are not win motivated and refuse to exile to i have been nagging everyone as GC to please try harder, upgrade, find alliances, attack more, made up different games where best growing ppl get resources, we have competition of who reaches surtain score etc... we are still t20. as hard as i try being t20 myself i cant make my gala go higher and im happy we are atleast holfing t20. in some cases it might just not be possible to do that and if i was in a galaxy t200 and being attacked daily not being to exile myself or do anything id quit, and i think so would many ppl.
second of all. sometimes some alliances make some galaxies public enemies, it has happened before when some galaxies have 50 waves on each planet. in those cases survivors selfexile themselves in search of a way to continue game. if exile was not possible they would have to quit all...
however i do agree exiles should be limited to say every 12 hours or more.
second:
i think packs should be of 4 ppl guaranteeing bigger chance of having a strong core in a galaxy and being able to make something good of it. And what alliances they will be it does not matter, it can be 4 friends all form different allies, IMO thats even better resulting in galaxy being friendly to 4 different alliances
third:
big alliances owning small ones getting owned with no chances:
there's a thought. alliances wich have average value lower then t5 amongst alliances should get an extra -1 tick for defence. so all allies would have -1, them -2. if they do too good with that advantage of theirs they lose the -1tick for def. that gives all small alliances or alliances that have been killed a chance to revive and come back or go up in ranks.
now i have more ideas but i gtg to work...

Gladiator
------------------------------------------
I am supreme to you all so respect my oppinions
not one of the ppl who can name all galaxies they been in...
think of all allies u can think of, i've been in half.
GladiatorLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 05:03   #102
Storebo
Adelante

Storebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
do you think people would use the packs though if it was only 1 pack of 3 per galaxy?

wouldn;t the possibility of pack people abandoning the galaxy if they got bad randoms then arise - we need to avoid people wanting to exile
4 privates in a pack no member from a pack can exile ever. Only randoms can exile.
R4 170:17:3 [Elysium ]
R5 12:10:18 [Elysium ]
R6 25:10:3 [Elysium ]
R7 31:20:2 [Elysium ] / [Adelante ]
R8 45:2:7 [Adelante ] / [Fury ]
R9 13:7:9 [NoS ] / [Lch ]
R9.5 and R10 dunno where [Elysium ]
R11 21:1:6 [1up]
[1up]
Storebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 07:47   #103
Cocteau
Cherry Colored Funk

Cocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to all

What Jes and Rob said.
Really need you

-- My Bloody Valentine
Cocteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 17:27   #104
Unregistered

To me, one of the main problems is the lack of players. This is just a suggestion but maybe it's worth making Planetarion free for a round in the future to try and attract a larger playerbase and get some people addicted so when it goes back to paying, more people will play. Im not sure if this would work but maybe its worth some thought.
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 18:34   #105
Unregistered

couple suggestions:

1) Every other round free?

- people who like pa will pa to stay for the paid round while free rounds will attract the less dedicated players and make a bigger player base

2) Make buddy packs of 5 and make it cost for buddypacks so that people can pack if they want yet we can maybe make free a possibility?
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 23:52   #106
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by flikman
What masta_mark said is fundamentally, true, that the big get bigger and the small get smaller (relatively speaking of course smart people).

This is a long standing PA issue, and while XP attempts to deal with this, it might need more influence.
Yes, but even if you gave as much effort its very difficult to catch up.
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 23:53   #107
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
couple suggestions:

1) Every other round free?

- people who like pa will pa to stay for the paid round while free rounds will attract the less dedicated players and make a bigger player base

2) Make buddy packs of 5 and make it cost for buddypacks so that people can pack if they want yet we can maybe make free a possibility?
Advertise the game !!!
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 01:23   #108
sySTEm33

Make random entry to universe free, but entry in to a buddypack cost money. thus allowing the randoms to play for free, attracting more new players. then when they join an alliance and get a buddypack, they pay for the advantage.

Furthermore make it buddypacks of 5 and have the GC able to tick a box to say wether to accept randoms or not. Thus allowing a choice of having 10 members in gal, 5 randoms, 5 from bp, or... just the 5 from the bp :P
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 10:16   #109
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
funny as most people saying something want private gals of 10........... let's take a wild guess at what's not gonna happen tho.. heh i really do wonder when pa team starts to listen
The decision has to be based on what would be good for the game as a whole, not on what the vocal minority that happen to post in this thread want. I think Kal is clever enough to realise that private galaxies would kill the game quicker than a bullet in the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
OK ideally we have 3 modes-
the current system (2 packs per galaxy) - but configurable to control buddy pack sizes allowed.
random (0 packs per galaxy) - specify number of paid planets per galaxy, freebies then fill up gals as in current system
private (1 pack per galaxy) - specifiy size of private part of galaxy, paid and free randoms fill up as in current system

Each mode will have different text on preferences screen where buddy pack text currently is - only other differences are in shuffler code.

The suggestion for next round is to use the private galaxy mode with a private size of 4
If you really do want 4 privates in a galaxy then I think that 2 buddy packs of 2 would be by far the better option. Having 1 pack of 4 just makes the galaxy far too reliant on the buddy pack for success. The reasons have pretty much been said already by wakey so I won't go into it.

Also, there is a strong argument for keeping the buddy pack system as it is now, with 6 packers in a galaxy. This creates large galaxies (not necessarily a bad thing) and allows the galaxy to have a critical mass of active players. In other words when you're on IRC there will generally be at least one other person from your galaxy online with you to talk to which creates a stronger bond in your galaxy. Also it makes it easier for new people to find alliances since there are so many different alliances in the galaxy already.
I actually stole the above off someone else but I can't remember which thread I read it in so I'll pass the idea off as my own for now.

EDIT: If your idea is implimented as it is now I will definitely not be upgrading my account before tick 37. That way I can get myself into a galaxy with as many paid accounts as possible and if my galaxy's buddy pack does suck I'll upgrade and then exile my way into a galaxy with a better pack.

Last edited by ChubbyChecker; 7 Sep 2005 at 10:40.
ChubbyChecker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 11:30   #110
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Please for the love of god can we have fixed size galaxies back. I won't go into a full on argument so I'll just list the reasons why:

* Defence is harder. Yes, harder. We're always trying to help new players keep their roids. News flash! If we do this then they won't cap any either. Personally, I'd rather cap and lose roids every other tick, than never lose them. This also promotes the attacking style of play that the stats do.

* Galaxies are brought closer together. Once I have my team of 10 (or whatever the limit should be) players, I know where I stand. There's always someone knew to learn about, someone to hide your secrets/tactics from. Who gets hurt by this? The neutrals. If a new player has to be taught the game by someone who isn't even using a real nick, or not giving them any information about themselves, it sure makes it alot harder.

I had more ideas. I forgot them while writing. Maybe I'll post again later.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 14:10   #111
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that big players helped the small players in there galaxy by stealing the attackers ships as best they could
Not that i get chance to myself as my wyvern are always out roiding with my levs.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 16:41   #112
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bintara
buddypack has -eta 1 for def :P
How about priv gals get eta 5 for ingal def and random gals get eta 4?

I don't mind private galaxies as long as there is a good incentive for people to go random.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 20:34   #113
A Mighty Fist
[FC]..... silent member

A Mighty Fist is an unknown quantity at this point

I read though most of this thread but honestly don't have any ideas to help. What i can offer though is personal experience of this round... like everyone here.

I started a few weeks late into the round, i joined a gal, PAID for my account and started out slowly gather resources while under protection and applying back to the alliance i had been in a few rounds before. Protection ends and without warning or words from my GC 'Your planet is being exciled'. Oh the joy, not even a word, just a push from the train as it runs by the countryside.

I land in my next gal, you see they exciled me while i slept so logging in 6 hours later to find myself in another gal is confusing. I open the mail i have received from my new gals GC 'Welcome to the gal, get active on IRC'... i openned the second one 'Your being exciled for being inactive, we are waiting on another minister to vote.' I was unsure how i was inactive seeing as i had only just entered the gal. I spoke to another minister and told him what had happened and why i had ended up in their gal. I was told he would watch me... watch me?? and then see if i was good enough to say.... few hours later after i leave to go eat... 'You have been exciled for being inactive'.

After THREE exciles before i have even started to build anything i ended up in a gal were the people were a little more willing to give me a chance. I was given funds from the gals resources and told to build to support the gal... which i did and continue to do. I'm not new to this game, i've played before jolt took over, i came back last round and PAID for 3 credits so i could play several rounds. The truth is, its not the system thats the problem but more so some of the players.

What i have noticed in some gals is a lack of a team spirit, rather than help each other they look out for themselves first, second and third, then excile to belittle anyone who they don't know or who they see as being below them. Personally i don't think one self excile is enough as sometimes you land in places who will not help you excile or who are completely inactive. However, the excile system can and does get abused. People use it as a way to move themselves from a poor gal to a better one... though the random nature of the excile system does help to cut this down.

The moment you remove a persons right to remove themselves from an unhealthy environment... physically, mentally, emotionally whether they have paid for their account or just trying a free one to see if they like the game, you are stopping a persons freedom and quoshing THEIR enjoyment of the game and most likely planting the seed in their head that perhaps the few were right and PA is a waste of time.

No matter what you do, people are people and at the end of the day you have to go with what aids the person, keeps the money coming in and keeps this place alive.

Mighty

Last edited by A Mighty Fist; 7 Sep 2005 at 20:40.
A Mighty Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2005, 05:27   #114
Lilleman
[G-II]

Lilleman is an unknown quantity at this point

New players quit from the game mainly because they end up in a shitty gal in the outskirts of the universe, where they act as a roid farm. It is very hard, if not impossible to do good in that state. I have seen several good players with much experience fight 24/7 just to see their incs being so heavy they lose their fleets on being fleetcatched time and time again.

The XP system is a very good start of fixing this, however I think, that's when your at (for example) in the bottom 20% of the universe rankings in roids, you can't lose any. When you're in bottom 40%, it's twice as hard to steal them.

This would give theese gals some space to move, and to regain and try to grow again. To see reds every morning for an unexperienced gal is just enough to quit.

So, I think it's a minor issue how the galaxies is set up, next to promoting the bottom of the universe. That's where the new players are. The players everyone wants in to the game, but everybody bashes out. Make it easy to start and climb. Make it harder to be on top. That will gain you new users, together with some advertising.
Lilleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2005, 08:17   #115
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilleman
New players quit from the game mainly because they end up in a shitty gal in the outskirts of the universe, where they act as a roid farm. It is very hard, if not impossible to do good in that state. I have seen several good players with much experience fight 24/7 just to see their incs being so heavy they lose their fleets on being fleetcatched time and time again.

The XP system is a very good start of fixing this, however I think, that's when your at (for example) in the bottom 20% of the universe rankings in roids, you can't lose any. When you're in bottom 40%, it's twice as hard to steal them.

This would give theese gals some space to move, and to regain and try to grow again. To see reds every morning for an unexperienced gal is just enough to quit.

So, I think it's a minor issue how the galaxies is set up, next to promoting the bottom of the universe. That's where the new players are. The players everyone wants in to the game, but everybody bashes out. Make it easy to start and climb. Make it harder to be on top. That will gain you new users, together with some advertising.
The problem you're adressing is the result of an over exploitable exile system. What we need to do is improve the exile system for R15 so that good players stay in their galaxy instead of making a run for a higher ranking galaxy. My first galaxy this round was decent at the start of the round but everyone decided to exile because they wanted a higher ranking than 40.

We all ended up in top 10 galaxies by the way, leaving our old galaxy a nest of non IRC using inactives.
Unread 8 Sep 2005, 12:40   #116
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

As Arfy said, you can only expect a group of players to bond if there's some sense of stability within the unit. Expanding galaxies cause the loss of their original identity. The alliances that originally dominated my galaxy, including the second buddy pack were completely broken up because of the aggressive exiling tendencies top galaxies depend on.

While undermining galaxy relations this widespread tactic allows top galaxies to become more "competitive" in the rankings. Of course this tends to bring distaste to the galaxy in the end, and widespread inactivity from the players that Planetarion needs to retain most, the ones who've played just a round or so and are set to build on the community we've amounted over five years.

While limiting the numbers doesn't fix all issues, it does bring stability to the group and makes the players far more interdependant on a personal level. Without those relations players have no reason to continue playing. Communication and friendship are the fundamentals of any success the game's ever achieved.
Unread 8 Sep 2005, 12:49   #117
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

we arn't going to have fixed size galaxies again, however sid came up with an interesting idea to limit galaxy exile without having time based limits etc.

the idea is to use a similar cost formula as used for self exile - so that the more people the galaxy exiles the higher the exile cost - this should encourage people to think wisely about exiling and only exile the people they really need to get rid of.

one other possibilty is one suggetsed iin this thread is to prevent buddy packs from self exiling, and possibly also form being galaxy exiled - this gives each galaxy a then fixed core and hence some stability.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2005, 14:17   #118
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
we arn't going to have fixed size galaxies again, however sid came up with an interesting idea to limit galaxy exile without having time based limits etc.

the idea is to use a similar cost formula as used for self exile - so that the more people the galaxy exiles the higher the exile cost - this should encourage people to think wisely about exiling and only exile the people they really need to get rid of.
I quite like this idea, though having a time based limit as well would be good imo. Many galaxies won't be too fussed about the cost, especially those galaxies with a large number of roids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
one other possibilty is one suggetsed iin this thread is to prevent buddy packs from self exiling, and possibly also form being galaxy exiled - this gives each galaxy a then fixed core and hence some stability.
If you are only having one buddy pack per galaxy then this is definitely the way to go. If you have two then I think it's unfair treatment. However it discourages people from entering a buddy pack even more.
Unread 8 Sep 2005, 14:54   #119
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
Please for the love of god can we have fixed size galaxies back. I won't go into a full on argument so I'll just list the reasons why:

* Defence is harder. Yes, harder. We're always trying to help new players keep their roids. News flash! If we do this then they won't cap any either. Personally, I'd rather cap and lose roids every other tick, than never lose them. This also promotes the attacking style of play that the stats do.

* Galaxies are brought closer together. Once I have my team of 10 (or whatever the limit should be) players, I know where I stand. There's always someone knew to learn about, someone to hide your secrets/tactics from. Who gets hurt by this? The neutrals. If a new player has to be taught the game by someone who isn't even using a real nick, or not giving them any information about themselves, it sure makes it alot harder.

I had more ideas. I forgot them while writing. Maybe I'll post again later.
Part 1 I agree with, harder defence is actually good as the attacking nature of the game is actually MORE FUN for the small than a defensive natured game. Attacking players bigger than you is fun and rewarding (both from a gains pov and just a general pleasure pov) and making it easier to keep the roids just goes against this. If roids are harder to get it makes hitting the bigger players harder and the losses greater and thus makes it harder to cover the losses with the gains. This in turn pushes people towards a more bashing attitude as you need to go for targets you can really dominate to max out gains.

Part 2 though I'm caught in two minds, i see where your coming from and somewhat agree BUT at the same time Statics are also not great learning areas either. Its fine for those signed up at the start but newer players or those whom are exiled have a signiciant chance of getting stuck in brand new galaxies which give them even less chance. You are in effect labelling these galaxies as easy roids and as they have no way of learrning or growing.

I would personally stick with the current system of growing galaxies but ban bp from exiling so as to make them work to get the galaxy pulling togethere and also make exiling more expensive to discourage exiling somewhat
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2005, 23:55   #120
vd3a

vd3a is an unknown quantity at this point

i think the thing with 48 hours on inactivity in a gal is not fair. we need to stay and watch how the inactive guys are pulling down the gal?
change it to 12 hours, 48 is loads of lost ticks...dont u think?

Last edited by vd3a; 9 Sep 2005 at 00:00.
vd3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 00:25   #121
jian_yee
PGLee

jian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to behold

Make a buddy pack unable to exile, Pack of 4, Each galaxy with 2 packs.
jian_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 01:58   #122
A Mighty Fist
[FC]..... silent member

A Mighty Fist is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
The problem you're adressing is the result of an over exploitable exile system. What we need to do is improve the exile system for R15 so that good players stay in their galaxy instead of making a run for a higher ranking galaxy. My first galaxy this round was decent at the start of the round but everyone decided to exile because they wanted a higher ranking than 40.

We all ended up in top 10 galaxies by the way, leaving our old galaxy a nest of non IRC using inactives.
This is a tactic my current galaxy seems to have adopted. We started out really high in the rankings, within the top ten for a while (granted at about 7.. 8... but we were still there). Our gal gets bashed, and why not as the aim of the game to to one up the next guy to take their place. Whoever did it, did a good job as we dropped to the mid to low 20's... however this is not a bad place to be and with some time, luck and will power you can climb back from that... we didn't.

Several of the larger members in the group figured they just excile from the gal in the hopes of moving up the ranks, leaving behind the gal they started with. We dropped a further 20 points in a matter of moments, something i still see as a cheat tactic by those within the gal who concider themselves 'excellent players of the game'. If your good at the game, you play it and fight for what you want rather than taking advantage of the excile system... then complaining to your ex gal mates how much that move cost them.

To my knowledge only one of the group who left made it into a top gal, the others ended up in places they couldn't escape from and became the roid farms they thought our gal would become.

While i say you can't remove a persons want and need to remove themselves from a place or people that hurts, annoys or otherwise offends them.... using the system to basically work round another system and the point of the game is something i find hard to swollow. If a persons excile is done because they are inactive, abusive or just unhappy with their treatment by the other gal members then an excile is a good thing to have around... but used just to have your name in lights?.... its like using God mode on Doom.

Mighty
A Mighty Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 08:21   #123
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vd3a
i think the thing with 48 hours on inactivity in a gal is not fair. we need to stay and watch how the inactive guys are pulling down the gal?
change it to 12 hours, 48 is loads of lost ticks...dont u think?
its the same for everyone though....

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 9 Sep 2005, 08:28   #124
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mighty Fist
This is a tactic my current galaxy seems to have adopted. We started out really high in the rankings, within the top ten for a while (granted at about 7.. 8... but we were still there). Our gal gets bashed, and why not as the aim of the game to to one up the next guy to take their place. Whoever did it, did a good job as we dropped to the mid to low 20's... however this is not a bad place to be and with some time, luck and will power you can climb back from that... we didn't.

Several of the larger members in the group figured they just excile from the gal in the hopes of moving up the ranks, leaving behind the gal they started with. We dropped a further 20 points in a matter of moments, something i still see as a cheat tactic by those within the gal who concider themselves 'excellent players of the game'. If your good at the game, you play it and fight for what you want rather than taking advantage of the excile system... then complaining to your ex gal mates how much that move cost them.

To my knowledge only one of the group who left made it into a top gal, the others ended up in places they couldn't escape from and became the roid farms they thought our gal would become.

While i say you can't remove a persons want and need to remove themselves from a place or people that hurts, annoys or otherwise offends them.... using the system to basically work round another system and the point of the game is something i find hard to swollow. If a persons excile is done because they are inactive, abusive or just unhappy with their treatment by the other gal members then an excile is a good thing to have around... but used just to have your name in lights?.... its like using God mode on Doom.

Mighty
People exploited the exile system for their own gain this round. So what? Who are you to tell them how to interpret the rules? PA Team's job next round is to make sure this doesn't happen again. Not by giving everybody a big lecture on how to use the exile button (nobody will listen anyway) but by hard coding a better exile system. Kal's ideas are a step in the right direction.
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 11:36   #125
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

If we were to have BP's fixed, and not able to exile. I think they definitely should be 4-5 players to allow the players at least to have a small community to depend on if the other players in their galaxy end up being completely idle. As happens to many, getting left with two players or so to communicate with in-galaxy is both unfortunate and unnecessary with the ratio of idle/active accounts we have in PA.
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 17:38   #126
Holyboy
pe0n

Holyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
To me, one of the main problems is the lack of players. This is just a suggestion but maybe it's worth making Planetarion free for a round in the future to try and attract a larger playerbase and get some people addicted so when it goes back to paying, more people will play. Im not sure if this would work but maybe its worth some thought.
very few people i've spoken to care about the payment, it costs approximately the same as 2 pints for 2-3 months of gaming? expensive that!

all the players i've spoken to from other games won't move across however because of the lack of private galaxies as if they come over as a group they want to play as a group.

run a round with private gals, you'll get much more players than if you run a free one.

p.s. Kal you know that i have about 40-50+ players who would likely move over if it was private gals from our discussions a couple of rounds ago, :P

i'm sure there are other such groups in other games who might be tempted over if they could play with their own friendship groups.

as for "it's not fair on the little players" atm they have no ****in chance anyway cos every time a small guy lands in a decent gal he gets exiled for being inactive, might as well put them in larger gals of smaller players so they're with people they can get on with without getting booted within an hour of landing in a new gal.
[HomaX] Forever!
Holyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 17:52   #127
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyboy
very few people i've spoken to care about the payment, it costs approximately the same as 2 pints for 2-3 months of gaming? expensive that!

all the players i've spoken to from other games won't move across however because of the lack of private galaxies as if they come over as a group they want to play as a group.

run a round with private gals, you'll get much more players than if you run a free one.

p.s. Kal you know that i have about 40-50+ players who would likely move over if it was private gals from our discussions a couple of rounds ago, :P

i'm sure there are other such groups in other games who might be tempted over if they could play with their own friendship groups.

as for "it's not fair on the little players" atm they have no ****in chance anyway cos every time a small guy lands in a decent gal he gets exiled for being inactive, might as well put them in larger gals of smaller players so they're with people they can get on with without getting booted within an hour of landing in a new gal.
they can play with two other friends at the moment anyway - if we ever had private galaxies again they would probably end up being very small anyway.

as the first post states next round we are thinking of having a single pack of 4 in each galaxy - which means people would be able to play with 3 other people.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 9 Sep 2005, 21:33   #128
jian_yee
PGLee

jian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to beholdjian_yee is a splendid one to behold

yup, pack of 4, unable to exile

Also, some people have been saying they want private galaxies... How bout making it possible by defining the private galaxy as say out of the 10 planets in there, u have to accept 2 randoms which "cannot" be exiled unless they have been inactive "for a certain period of time"
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 18:29   #129
sySTEm33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jian_yee
Make a buddy pack unable to exile, Pack of 4, Each galaxy with 2 packs.
Nuff Said. thats what i would do after reading all of the above.

i would consider limiting galaxies to 10-15 though, as the more galaxies there are, the better. I dont think it matters too greatly about the size of a gal. Its like in most games, the more teams/clans or in our case galaxies there are playing the better.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 22:02   #130
biggest

biggest is an unknown quantity at this point

about the exiles:
I'm currently stuck in a really rubbish galaxy. at first i wanted to get the galaxy to become better, but there were only 2 other active paid accounts, so we couldnt even get a full set of ministers. this meant we couldnt exile the actives, and everyone else became disheartened. Now i want to self exile to stop all the attacks coming in, and the price to do so has increased from 900k to 1.4k just because one person left the galaxy.

So
1.) non-paid accounts being able to be gc/ministers is a good idea. if someone who is unpaid can't get into the game properly, they'll never play anyway.

2.) only being able to exile every 48 ticks would damage smaller galaxies that are swamped with inactives.

3.) changing the self exile formula is a good idea.
biggest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 12:50   #131
shik
Sorry, Chicken...

shik is infamous around these partsshik is infamous around these parts

5 player buddypacks is great
makes more galaxies, makes smaller galaxies.
maybe then even fixed size galaxies arent needed anymore,
cuz galaxies wont grow over 13 anyways.
same would happen with 4 player packs also ofc, but i think the difference between good player packs and average player packs would be too big then.

the "self exile into the gal with the least payed players" is completeley idiotic. aint that like a downward spiral for a good player who aint lucky with his first galaxy?
it only can get worse.
make something like
"chance to get into a top 10 galaxy = 0%" "chance to get into a top 20 gal = 10%"
"chance to get into a top 50 galaxy = 50%" "chance to get into a top 100 gal = 100%"

and tbh i like the idea of not paying for planets, but paying for buddypacks also.
everybody can gain everything, nobody needs to be exiled because of being unpaid and so everybody can try out the game easily for a whole round and get addicted.
but if you want to be really successful you need a buddypack, and having one costs some money.
something like "you need 4 credits to create a buddypack for 5 players. tis 4 credits can be payed by up to 4 planets. planets which pay for the buddypack will automatically be part of it. only the founder can invite more planets (up to 4 if he pays for the buddypack alone)"

now thats it hope somebody still reads this.
shika~
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 13:47   #132
~RevictioN~
Reborn

~RevictioN~ is infamous around these parts

You get 2 options to choose between .

Priv Gal full of 10 or you can choose to go Buddypacks/Random.

Priv Gal Advanatges :
1. Your playing with friends you know and trust.
2. Galaxy cooperation is very easy.

Priv Gal Disadvantages :
1. No -1 eta to and from alliance m8's
2. No self exile

BuddyPacks/Random Advantages
1. The -1 eta to and from alliance m8's.
2. Self Exile limit to 3 I think

BuddyPacks/Random Disadvantages
1. Your galaxy may suck
2. Galaxy Cooperation may be like pulling teeth

Basically Universe would form from the private galaxys. Buddypacks and Randoms would form into Gals of 10 or close as possible. Id say BP's of 3 or 2.

I think this will make Alliances choose what strategy they will go. As a allaince with 3 Private Gals and 30 members that are BuddyPack/Random will surely get pwned as the private gals are useless to the BP/RANDs and the BP/RANDS are useless to the Private Gals.

So you get a choice of All you eggs in 4 or 5 baskets , Or spread out around the universe. The correct answer might be what wins the rnd for your alliance.

Anyways that came to me late tonight so might be some gaping holes but it sounds fun to me.
Conviction, Courage, Control
~RevictioN~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 15:48   #133
CagedFury
Unregistered User

CagedFury is an unknown quantity at this point

I see one of the big problems being that all the good/expierenced/active players exile to get into good galaxies.

The players who want to do well/want too get roided less often than everynight/had enough sitting in a gal chat room alone, will exile untill they end up in a 'good' galaxy, and those that are new/arnt as active as the rest/are playing purely for fun/want to help new players get more out of the game, encourage the games growth etc will stay on in dead gals.

When all these good players group together (for examle 6:10 this round) along with having eta 5 from active gal mates and def from their 1337 alliance (Generally), we have the problem that they are unroidable, heh (personally yes i like this idea for myself) but no one should be that unroidable heh.

Part of the problem is the divide that gets between the big and the small, the big become too big not because they have 1337 skills (tho they most likely are good players) but because they also have a good alliance and (one of the things being discussed here) an amzing galaxy, this means they keep their roids get more ships are able to get even more roids and so on and so forth, vaule ends up huge. (they barely need to be active because its a cert that they wont have an attack actually land on them sort of thing)

I like these ideas for paid vs free accounts in gal, so that the gal is forced to take on a share of the new players which the game brings in.

Personally i really got into the game last rnd (i didnt really care for the early rounds and left when pay for play came in, only came back in rnd 13)
I started in a gal with a reasonable amount of active players, who basically taught me through the game, got me an alliance etc but we ended up in the getting farmed by a big alliance cycle so my old gal was abandoned by its active members (something which happed again this rnd),and after drifting from gal to useless gal i ended in 1:10 (the top gal at the time) and everyone was active, had a great time and got my thirst for the game was made all teh stronger.

My point being that it was the active players that made the game for me, and convinced me to become irc active etc. By making each gal take its "share" this should certainly improve recruitment of new players. Everyone knows that if they exile there is no chance of landing in a 'good' galaxy they will be more inclined to stay and encourage the other members to become active.

On private gals, yes i like the idea for myself but i cant see how it would be good for bringing new players in, ofc i dont have the vast contact network some people do with people who play clones. However there have been alot of suggestions on buddypacks, which practically give you the same functionality (let you play with friends), they just dont let you form uber galaxys from the early ticks (uber galaxys take lots of exiles and time to form heh)

Altough im not sure of the paid versus unpaid player ratio if it were 50 50. perhaps have 5 bp 5 random and 10 unpaid (maybe 5 unpaid bp and 5 unpaid random, tho im not sure how many free members have bps)

And allow people to have the choice of 2-5 people in their bp i.e. allow a group of people choose who they want in their bp % of the gal that they will end up in after shuffle.

Also the time restrictions on exiling from a galaxy i like, although i think 48hrs is alot, its a good amount, i think 12 hrs would be too short its too easy to have a good reason for being afk for 12 hrs - 48hrs is harder to justify in pa active terms (you have to at least check once every 2 days, i mean really if you dont your dead ) Perhaps two time limits, exiling of paid members and exiling of free members, both the same so allowing 2 exiles every 2 days but of a certain type (if you have 10 paid actives, you shouldnt need to exile more than one free planet every 2 days, but if your gal is ravenged with inactivy being able to also get rid of an inactive paid member would be good, sort of bias on the number of exiles that good gals and poors gals have in that way also)

I think thats enough for one post heh

Last edited by CagedFury; 11 Sep 2005 at 15:56.
CagedFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 15:50   #134
CagedFury
Unregistered User

CagedFury is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and unregistered who ever you are, perhaps you should go off and design your own game? one that maybe involves going into forums and giving random abuse? it already seems to be a speciality of yours :P

If its crap why is crap? how could it be made better? at least be constructive
CagedFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 16:00   #135
Unregistered

The small players that didnt pay for a credit will stay small. This is quite logical. Who wants a not-playing, non-paid, non-active player in their galaxy ?

What is the use of spending time explaining the game to players that don't actually play it.
Exiling those players should rather be encouraged than being made impossible !

Also I think that the galaxy's should get a maximum number of players. 10 should be a decent choice. 1 buddypack of 5 players per gal and filled up with randoms till the gals have 10 players. This will create more galaxys, which is in my opnion; more Fun. Also this will make galaxy's a bit more important. Currently galaxy's are utter nonsense. 20 players, only like 8 playing. the 12 other INactive ppl wont get any ingal def either, waste of traveltime !

Make galaxys smaller, Make buddypacks bigger (to make galaxys usefull again) !
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 18:55   #136
Unregistered

just quit its crap and will die very soon :P unless you mugs keep paying lol
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 22:09   #137
flubber

Cool Re: Round XV Galaxy System

what's the score with resource limits for free accounts in the next round?
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 22:28   #138
Unregistered

Talking Re: Round XV Galaxy System

i am daj of dajronius (1:2:15) incase yo wanna smash me up
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 23:15   #139
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

Hmm, id say bring back private galaxies, or maybe do one round private, one round random, alternate it, would satisfy everyone that way?

People say that private galaxies make it less fun for the newer players, and not as many people play, yet i don't see people running to come and play in the current gal setup either, and whether or not there are private galaxies, there are still blocks in terms of alliances, so not much difference there....
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2005, 13:03   #140
Unregistered

wheres my ****ing post gone you wankers
Unread 12 Sep 2005, 15:01   #141
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by flubber
what's the score with resource limits for free accounts in the next round?
What do you mean? The asteroid transfer thing that limits the amount of resources you can mine from asteroids? At the moment it's the same as this round
Unread 12 Sep 2005, 19:11   #142
Unregistered

fully private gals would be an idea for a free speedround, but not for real round.
big buddypacks,. 1 buddpack per gal, fixed size gals ftw
Unread 12 Sep 2005, 21:11   #143
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

The problem with not allowing BP's to exile will ruin their round.

Take a look at my previous galaxy (7:5) and you will understand why I had to exile. I actually got a friend out of retirement to play one last round together, but the gal was so shit we had to exile, and I'm now much happier in 2:1. It's not a particularly big gal, but its a gal that gave me a chance of a decent rank.

I wanted to stay in my BP, but my gal was so inactive I was left with no choice, and thats the danger of not allowing people in BP's to exile.
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 07:04   #144
neogunner
Launch the moogles!!!

neogunner is an unknown quantity at this point

K, heres a suggestion, y not make a second shuffle midround? It would keep the exiling after the first shuffle from ruining the round, and it would giv late starters a chance to get into a good gal w/o having to exile numerous times.
Also, this would keep one gal that got a good start from dominating the game (example 6:10 this round). On the other spectrum of one gal dominating, this would cut back on all the inactive gals that exist, and get rid of the accounts that were active at the begginning, but compeletly lost activity after the first shuffle.
It would help establish a community bcuz everyone would meet more ppl, and they would hav to depend more on the randoms considering this prevents the possibility of one pack or two packs of the same alliance that landed in the same gal having full control.
3. A line has 1 dimension.

Ask yourself this, how many dimensions does a point have?
Answer from what ive learned: NONE, because it has no measurements, so it doesnt technically exist.
Therefore, lines dont exist, which means squares dont, neither do cubes, or any other polygons.So geometry doesnt exist either.
neogunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 10:50   #145
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

so basically you help people all round long and in the end you get shuffled into an inactive galaxy after all? no way a second shuffle will be possible and i'm sure hardly anyone would play.

p.s. not allowing buddypacks to exile is very bad aswell... as fish said you're basically screwed if your pack goes inactive for whatever reason or your gal sucks.

what reason is there to not just have 5 people in 1 pack and 1 pack per gal? it's a nice "in-between" solution and will satisfy most.
Obviously 2 packs of 2 players is a bad idea aswell heh
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 16:37   #146
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogunner
K, heres a suggestion, y not make a second shuffle midround? It would keep the exiling after the first shuffle from ruining the round, and it would giv late starters a chance to get into a good gal w/o having to exile numerous times.
Also, this would keep one gal that got a good start from dominating the game (example 6:10 this round). On the other spectrum of one gal dominating, this would cut back on all the inactive gals that exist, and get rid of the accounts that were active at the begginning, but compeletly lost activity after the first shuffle.
It would help establish a community bcuz everyone would meet more ppl, and they would hav to depend more on the randoms considering this prevents the possibility of one pack or two packs of the same alliance that landed in the same gal having full control.
6:10's success was largely due to the flawed exile system. Let's fix that before we go implementing crazy ideas like a second shuffle.

Also, multiple shuffles would discourage good players from helping new players. Galaxies should be the main source of learning for new players so this would be a very negative outcome.
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 17:28   #147
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

i agree that buddypacks should be bigger. with 3 ppl only you really can rely only on those if you dont get in the lucky 20 gals that have 2 active packs in it and end top20 in the end. For my gal *again* this round is that we ended with 4 actives and ofc that demotivated my buddypack and myself as well. At the moment all hope lies in : " maybe a 2nd active packs joins the gal "

with maybe 5 players per pack you would have a very solid base for a good gal. More good gals = better!

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 17:43   #148
Unregistered

i quit this game is too shitty
i will make a website details how shit it is and gonna spread the word like anything
i hope it goes down the pan
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 18:33   #149
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i quit this game is too shitty
i will make a website details how shit it is and gonna spread the word like anything
i hope it goes down the pan
I hope you do. The main reason being that no publicity is bad publicity

EDIT: PM me the URL to it once its done

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 23:48   #150
Unregistered

I think that maybe some race advantages should be added, i mean the way it is now is nice and all but come on the only perks between the races are -1 production this and -1 construction that, fleet is cloaked blah blah, that's all nice but how bout some REAL perks,

like some races ships cost less or use different amounts of resources, like let's say terrans use 1k metal and 750 crystal,

well how bout xan take 750metal and 750 crystal, but the downside is the fighter isn't nearly as strong as the terran,

and maybe terrans get - 1tick less construction or -1tick less production, but then they get like a hurtful stat too like +1tick longer research,

and maybe some races can extract more resources but the ships are a little more expensive and might be really powerful but are slow and poorly armored,

and some ships that are cloaked are fast but weak and poorly armored,

and ships that use emps might have a chance of accidentally emp'ing their own fleets, make it more random or something, so that the race might be able to emp ships really easy but they have friendly fire too, and figure a formula, like for every 100 ships and lets just say they are 10 different classes who all use emps, 2 out of 10 will be emp'd

sorry if anything is already like this my first round back after like 5 years,

2nd, why not give some boosts to smaller planets, like people have said and it's been proven, the big get bigger and the small get smaller, have smaller planets receive some kind of bonus, like some certain amount of resources magically appear or something,

3rd, i remember when alliances could collect funds, that was good,

4th, i remember there used to be resources stealing ships, there would be so many inactive planets that had resources just sitting there, and the 3 tick combat would be nice,

5, have inactive planets of like 56 ticks or so go into like a vacation mode where they can not be attacked, can not launch, and don't gain resources (mainly to help the abuse of the resource stealing ships), and they have to log in and a page will pop-up that says you were automatically send into suspend mode for being inactive for 56 ticks, would you like to return and they have to click yes, and if they fail to log back in in like 96 hours, they will be deleted,

these are all just thoughts from a fellow plyer please no flames just say why you like or dislike, not that i'm a moron who doesn't know jack about the game, i'm just trying to help it be more interesting and attract more players, you just gotta make the race's perks more appealing than just +1 -1 research or something, anyone can use construction and engineers to help compensate for that,