User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 8 Oct 2004, 20:13   #1
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

AcidK has a spectacular aura aboutAcidK has a spectacular aura about
Novel: The ISS Haven Blackout

Yes, you guessed it, I have decided to re-open the collective novel idea! The idea of this thread is to all pitch in and write a massive novel by writing where another Roleplayer finishes. All posts must be DESCTIPTIVE and Novel-Like. Everything is 3rd person talking and must adire to the following rules:
  1. No characters that are super-powered. This is to be a proper novel, not an RP
  2. You may introduce up to 5 characters from the start and introduce, slowly, more characters AS LONG AS THEY FIT A FORM OF PLOT
  3. No character creations with no description or at least a small visual guide at the start to say what they look like (please spend a paragraph on character descriptions)
  4. Your contributions does not have mention characters
  5. You may control any character that has been created by yourself or by another
  6. You may NOT make the character do anything that is not within their peronality (ie, if they are scientists or engineers they may not suddenly charge into battle without hesitation)
  7. If I decide to ignore a post by someone because it does not follow the rules or is too far-fetched, do not moan.
  8. Characters and certain key points WILL be noted down and placed on the internet for people to see (I may decide to make pictures from the descriptions, seeing as I know a few people that are gifted with anime and cartoon-style art)

If this novel becomes a great hit, I may collect all the ideas, touch it up and make an actual novel from it. Those that were involved WILL gain credit from this!!!

Just to let everyone know the backround in breif (présis of Prologue), the Iondian Space Ship Haven is a large scientific ship (Cruiser sized) designed and built to go around the known Milky Way Galaxy, collecting scientific research and bringing them home. To all those that have read the extremely brief version of Iondian Legend (ie, Walrus), this takes place many years AFTER that 'book'.

So, let us begin...

----------Prologue----------

Space was just one big void, riddled with phenomina unexplained by man or any other known species within the Milky Way Galaxy. The Iondian Space Corporation was one of the only remaining human faction, all others died during or shortly after the Great Earth Invasion to liberate what was left of the system. There were others that still have their little wars between themselves, such as the Indusians and the Majeti.

Iondians were, mostly, from the United States and England colonies that migrated to the huge planet of Iondi, turning it from lushes green planet to a thriving city-planet, not one spec of the planet was without city structure. The Indus Systems were developed over the centuries by the Russians and the Africans, turning their planets to massive mining installations and, later on, industrial cities. The Majeti, the honourable people that keep themselves out of nearly every war, originated from Japan and China, and own only small amounts of space that was now the only safe spot in the Galaxy.

After the Great Invasion, Iondians had decided to spend all their efforts in turning the planet back to it's original state after the Underleague Clans, a force made entirely by mafias, triads and mercinaries, had the system demolished and caused the Galactic 'Liberation' War. At the current time of peace, Iondia had changed it's main population from Human to Ganki, an industrial race that was enslaved on Earth during the war.

-----Chapter One-----

Iondi decided to at least expand their knowledge of the universe by crafting great ships of science, designed to head towards phenomina such as wormholes and research their exsistance. The ISS Haven was the largest of all the vessels, carrying it's own payload of weapons and armed troops to defend itself against hostile territories that they may have blindly flown into.

Captain Ustalia admired the veiw out of her room's veiwscreen, overlooking now a gas nebula that was mainly green, changing into blue colours every now and then in the light of the nearby star, even though it was a mere gleam in the distance behind the Haven. Ustalia has loved phenomina like this since she was a child living on Iondia. Ustalia was one of the few T-Ship Heavy Fighters within Marco's Wing that had actually survived the Earth Invasion.

Ustalia was unlike most military navel commanders, she had a rustic look towards her, her hair was hardly ever neat and her movements were not the usual formal movement of a ship captian, more of a pilot that has seen too many red alerts. She wore her uniform well, however, although she tended to keep her medals on a wall ratehr than walking with them on all the time.

----------------------------

Only I can change the chapters, everyone else please use the FIRST chapter to create a few characters and get used to the novel idea. You may create new characters for yourself to use or others to use or you can expand on Ustalia's story a little.
Demand to see life's manager.
Make life rue the day it thought it could give me lemons.
Do you know who I am?
I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down!
With the lemons.
I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
AcidK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2004, 01:57   #2
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all
Re: Novel: The ISS Haven Blackout

questions, comments, concerns:

I am intrested in creating a cheif engineer....
What type of power systems are there/ can I create one?
Has this ship seen any recent battles?
What type of shields are there?
Are there cloaks? (or anything else like a grav-well generator or scanner or something)

sorry if it seems kinda demanding, but it IS in the stories best intrest (mainly details)
Unread 13 Oct 2004, 14:24   #3
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

As this is a 'Free For All Novel' thread, you can decide. Bear inmmind that this is a big ship, armed and does extensive research, so virtually everything would be hgih tech and constantly upgraded. But, whatever you do, no super weapons that are hand-held and no armour that cannot be penetrated. Cloaks can be permitted as long as they are powered, the generators and engines can be of your own design and the scanners can be of anyone's design, since all they do is scan.
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
Unread 13 Oct 2004, 15:54   #4
ASME
DarkStar

ASME is just really niceASME is just really niceASME is just really niceASME is just really niceASME is just really nice

I am interested in this thread, does the ship carry fighters or bombers? for self protection? if so, i would either be a fighter squad leader, or flight deck / launch bay commander.

If I was a fighter sqaud leader would i be resposible for creating the fighters, or woudl there be a set standard for the fighters?

And if i was the launch bay commander, would i be able to manage repair of old, and construction of new fighters, as well as complaining if the captain set my fighteres against imposible odds.

Also would there be space for ships larger than a fighter, say a large (ship to ship, almost like the defiant in DS9) transport chassis kitted out with weapons?

Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress.
ASME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2004, 16:21   #5
Planetkiller II
Current HrH Manijjmint

Planetkiller II has a spectacular aura aboutPlanetkiller II has a spectacular aura about

I'd be interested, though my contributions might not be very regular, what with writing my own stuff, DMing etc.

Horseman of the Psy-Apocalypse - Famine, Psychic Weapons Divison Commander and Tutor of Telenullics at the Academy of Psychics
Planetkiller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 14:27   #6
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

The ship is whatever you want it to be as long as it involves around it being a science-gathering vessel that goes into hazardous and dangerous areas of the unknown space.
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 17:12   #7
Planetkiller II
Current HrH Manijjmint

Planetkiller II has a spectacular aura aboutPlanetkiller II has a spectacular aura about

Cassen Lebellam awoke in his cabin to the sound of a blaring alarm. Now, ordinarily you might expect that this would cause the young, dark haired officer to jump to his feet and race to whatever post he might be wanted at. Instead, he looked at the hologrphic clock next to his bed, saw that unless shiptime was broken, it was still way too early. Cassen rolled over, and tried to go back to sleep as quickly as possible. He didn't have much success, even when he stuffed his head under his pillow. A faint thudding had been added to the sirens and the flashing red light. Cassen brought his head out from under the pillow and looked blearily towards the door, groaning. Someone was pounding on it. It felt like they were pounding on his head. From the other side, a muffled voice drifted in.

"Cassen! Cassen, get the hell up! It's Scramble Alert."

Cassen groaned again and said in as loud a voice as he could muster.

"Go away Makino. You know it's just another of Pendervolt's crazy drills. Let me sleep..."

"No way, he'll tear a strip off me too if you don't show up. Now, get your ass out of bed and get ready."

That kind of thing ok?

P.S. Don't suppose that I could have a read of Iondian Legend (or indeed any of your books)?

Horseman of the Psy-Apocalypse - Famine, Psychic Weapons Divison Commander and Tutor of Telenullics at the Academy of Psychics
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 17:32   #8
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

unsure about the Iondian Legend book, it's not stored on this PC, not even the original drafts (that actually sucked for storyline)
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
Unread 20 Oct 2004, 21:24   #9
ASME
DarkStar

ASME is just really niceASME is just really niceASME is just really niceASME is just really niceASME is just really nice

[OOC] *prepares to write* *write* [/OOC]

Anthony was surrounded by flowers... flowers and his wife, 'Ah there you are,' she said, ' I was wonderign where you had got to you rascal.' She lunged playfully at him, and they fell softly to the ground, both burst out laughing, 'Ah this is the life,' he says to her, 'i wish to never leave this eden,' they closed for a kiss, and the dream shattered, all around he saw the land turning to ruin, he saw the ships come, as he did every time, he ran to the house, but it was already aflame, he let out an anguished yell ' JASSMINNNnnnn' and colapsed into a sobbing figure on the ground....

Flight Deck Commander Anthony jerked himself from his dreams, and wiped his brow with his handkerchief, cold sweat had formed and threatened to blur his vision. He got up from his chair and went to the floor to ceiling window that were the walls of his office. He looked down at the flight deck, the fighters and the new fighters modifed for anomaly probing scattered along the length and bredth of the deck. All of them in good condition, all ready for whatever fate threw at them. And fate, as it happened, was about to play an unexpected hand in things....

Just as Anthony was going back to his chair, the bulkhed beneath him, rocked so violently Anthony was thrown to the floor, alomost imediatly the alarms came balring on the lighing changed form serene white to bright red, the sign that soemthing major has happened soemwhere on the ship. Thinking quickly and the only way he now knew, he got up, went to his desk and punched the fighter piolt quarters intercom button, and at the same time activated the scrambe alert,

"This is not a drill, repeat this is not a drill, all fighter and bomber personel report to Launch Deck immediatly and prepare for immediate launch, i repeat this is not a drill. Anthony put the com unit down, and sighed, 'this may not be the good day i had i mind' he though to himself. And following his own orders, prepared to fly his fighter out into the unkown...

Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress.

Last edited by ASME; 21 Oct 2004 at 11:30.
ASME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2004, 03:44   #10
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

-ooc-
Just to say, the cruiser is alone with it's fighters. It has no other support other than what it carries (and cruisers are certainly not big enough to hold frigates)
-ooc-
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
Unread 1 Nov 2004, 20:27   #11
Planetkiller II
Current HrH Manijjmint

ooc// ASME, I don't think the ship is meant to be under attack yet... //ooc

Major Bendragron Pendervolt stood on the shiny main catwalk of the Tertiary Systems Command Deck, chewing a smouldering cigar. The work pits below bustled with activity as the people under his command ran to their positions. He swiveled about, blowing a cloud of noxious smoke from his cigar as a a turbolift arrived at the rear of the TSCD, carrying the last of the men to muster. The doors opened and Lieutenant Cassen Lebellum and Ensign Makino Lee walked out, Cassen rubbing the last sleep from his eyes. Pendervolt glared at them both as they quickened their pace, arriving at last at their posts at the only stations at the fore of the main catwalk. Pendervolt spat the rapidly shortening cigar from his lips, looked at the stopclock in his hand, and pressed a button on it. The counter stopped.

"Seven minutes thirty-three. Too slow! We're going to do this again in a few hours, until we get it right! If the main sections go down, we have to be ready! This is not just a walk in the park people! Don't even think about going back to bed Lebellum, you and Lee were the last to arrive, so you're on duty till the next drill. Perhaps then you'll be able to be on time."

Cassen dropped his head in order to beat it against his console. Below him, the crew from the pit began to file back towards the lifts, Pendervolt following them, already lighting up another cigar.

Unread 2 Nov 2004, 02:22   #12
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

*Captain Ustalia walked into the bridge, arms behind her back and a meaningful eye looking around. She had spent the time during drills to dust down her uniform and sort out her hair, arriving a minute or so before Cassan and Makino arrived at the TSCD area of the bridge. The bridge was huge, multiple command posts and stations were built so that if one went down, at least nine others were there to accomodate for the loss. Ustalia did not have much to do in her time within the bridge, but it was better than leaving Commander Kaylan, her Number One and Second-In-Command, to do things for her. She did respect the man, but he had a bit to much force, even on a science cruiser.*

*Ustalia turned slowly as she watched Cassan and Makino stumble in late, Ustalia remembered when she was like that during her time as a T-Ship pilot. Then she noticed the Major's cigar on the floor and her brows narrowed carefully. She waited until the Liuetenant and the Ensign were gone before she stood up and marched to the TSCD.*

Major Pendervolt... How long has it been since you joined the Haven?

*Ustalia turned her head in the direction of the cigar.*
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.
Unread 6 Nov 2004, 14:53   #13
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

Malcom Morgan was sitting in his small sargents quarters. He had just walked back to his quarters after the drill. His squad was late again to battle stations. Malcom colapsed on his bed, it wasn't nearly as comfortable as i should be. It wasn't really his fault they were late. His squad had to run the lenght of the ship in full gear to get in positon to defend the aft entrance to the labs. A full run in comabt gear was not fun with green troops. They just diddn't have the endurance of his old squad.

Malcolm streched out on his bed, it was to big. Built for one of those intimadaitng marines who were a good six or seven inches then he. He wished he was with his old unit on Ceti Prime. He was the only one transferred to the Haven. It was a little lonely. All the other noncoms were green as grass and thought this was gonna be fun. all they did was brag to each other in the mess. These guys had no idea what a fire fight was like. He rembered now he was a little tried. So like any true vetran toke this oppurtunity to take a nap. Soon he slipped into a power nap and was ready for the next alarm.
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 16:11   #14
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

-ooc-
Unsure of how this fits the current plot. Right now we are NOT diving into meaningful storyline, the first chapter is a rundown of your character and their reason for being on the ISS Haven Science Cruiser. You have dived into a a plot that might lengthen later, but that is not what the first chapter is about, the second chapter dives more into the plot. To me you sound like a Bounty Hunter, or a metaphysical judge and jury (to me it looks as though you took the idea from Red Dwarf, Episode: Inquisitor).

A science ship does not have Bounty Hunters on board, not even mercinaries and the science they do is more science than paranormal research (seeing as at this stage the only paranormal events that took place was the rising of the Seven Mages, which was the main plot for Iondian Legend).

Thus, this is unacceptable until you can find a suitable time to place it in.
-ooc-
Do you know who I am?
With the lemons.