User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 2 Jun 2004, 02:42   #1
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light
Car stereo Reviews

Hope someone can help me. My car got broken into a while back and the dumb@$$ thiefs tryed taking my deck but couldent get it out. They did manage to wreck the dashboard though. My insurance is paying to get everything fixed and get a new deck and such, they are giving me a lot of money so I am thinking of getting some nice speakers and some other stuff.

I dont want to go very high end, more like mid range. Since I work at a BIG electronics store I can get stuff for very cheap from the manufacturer. The problem though is that I dont know nothing with respect to car stereos and such. I already got my deck picked out, but for the speakers and amps I am totally lost. Tried searching the web for some review sites, but no luck there.

So does anyone know much about car stereos and if so got any advice? or better yet a review website? I drive a 2003 Nissan Sentra and the deck I am going to get is a JVC 3150 or I might go for the DVD deck JVC 5000, not sure yet. I am looking at Infinity speakers or Rockfords because thats what the guys at work recommended, cant remember model numbers though.

-RexDrax

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2004, 11:38   #2
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Car stereo Reviews

no clue, i know someone who is 'up' on audio equipment but surely if you work in a big store someone will know because theyre trained to know?

Also...
i never really understand the point of having a custom head unit. Mine is standard and came with the car. it has cd/radio etc etc and does everything i want. even has blue and red lights and more importantly its coded to only work with my car. So if some bastard nicks it then its useless.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2004, 11:47   #3
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

"pimp your car"
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2004, 19:18   #4
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

google is a good thing
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2004, 19:27   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm not an audio expert by any stretch. However, FYI:
I just bought this and paired it with these.

The Sony head unit is a midrange one (4x50w, 3-band EQ, MP3-CD playback and ID3/CD text display etc). It has pre-outs and Low Pass Filter and all that lot too, but I don't use them so I don't know what they're like.
The speakers have a higher rating than the head unit does (60W) so I don't know what they're like at full range and wouldn't want to - I'm not into trying to wake the neighbourghs with my car. However, they do produce a very clear sound and cover the whole range quite well. There's certainly good bass response. So long as you get a head unit with an EQ you'll be able to tune them to your preferences of course.

Oh one thing. The player doesn't buffer between MP3 tracks, so if you're playing a mixed album you'll get gaps when the track changes. I don't know how common this sort of thing is with car MP3 players. It's fine playing regular mixed audio CDs though.
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 09:38   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I got a JVC KD-LH7R MP3 player. It r0x0rz. It's failry stable and only skips when you're driving over an absurdly bumpy road. Removable front, small remote control 4 audio outputs and a connector for a CD-changer, though I don't know if the player or the changer takes care of the MP3 reading in such a case.
I can't comment on audio quality of the player because I don't know how the speakers compare to other sets. I got the rear speakers with the car and are from Sony. The rear ones sound OK, though I got a weird vibration in one of the standard front speakers when I turn up the volume. I think that guy put a bass in the dashboard somewhere where I can't find it.
One limitation is the equalizer tho. Only allows to set low and high tones and it has a few standard presets.
Another thing is that the part where the frontend is hung up on to the unit doesn't have a robust feel to it. Though I haven't had any probs with it. The front claps down when you want to insert a new disk, that doesn't go 100% smooth either.
Oh... and the box thingy to keep the frontend in when you removed it, is in one word crap. It's one piece of hard plastic and the "hinge" (lacking the right word) broke after an attempt to open it.

All in all I'm satisfied with the player.
I never want an ordinary CD-player anymore. Too few songs per disk and takes too long to convert/burn.
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 09:43   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why has noone taken this piss out of Car Stereos 101's resident twat yet?
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 18:23   #8
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for peoples reply, I got a good idea what I am getting now.

JJ: Reason I am getting one is so I dont have to keep switching CD's. 1 CD holds like 20 songs, an MP3 CD holds like 200 songs, a BIG diffrence imo and thats why I am getting a after factory deck. All together it will cost me about $100 out of my own money to get the deck and speakers I want. If insurance wasnt paying for it it would cost me like $600, and if I didnt work at the electronics store it would be $1300. So I am sure I will be happy with the stuff I am getting.

I am getting JVC-3150 CD/MP3 deck that is fully customizable and you can play short mpeg movies on it once you load them (20seconds long). For front speakers I am getting Infinity 500CS component speakers with tweeters which are all around good speakers and for the rear its Infinity 690I (I think, not quite sure on the model number). The deck is a sweet@$$ deck. Its fully customizable, including color and lots of setting for equalizer. I will be very happy with it.

My car right now is in the shop to get fixed since the dumb@$$ thieves wrecked the whole dash. My insurance gave me a 2005 Ford Explorer Eddy Bauer edition to drive in the meantime. Thats like a $50,000 USD car. Its a sweet@$$ ride man.

DADDIES beware,
Lock up your daughters
Rex's on da prowl

Man I SO hope that they need to keep my car over the weekened, but I doubt it. They said they will have it all fixed by friday . I am like looking for excuses to drive my rental. AND I DONT HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING except gas.

-RexDrax

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 18:29   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't really understand the baseball cap thing.

I mean, surely they know they look like twats yeah?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 18:29   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Hmmm... I think your installation is a few price classes higher than my cheapass JVC KD-LH7R. But be wary of moving parts like a clapping down frontend. Those things are the first to break.