User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 29 Nov 2005, 13:05   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Kernal_stack_in_page_error

This error has seemingly started happneing over the past week ish...

It never appears when im at the PC..

Now i think i know what has caused it but id like some expert opinion on why it would do that....

I checked the computer logs and at precisely 2:01 everynight the pc would suffer a seizure and crash and reboot. I turned off rebooting and had a look around to see what happened at 2:00am.....

Turns out MS Antispyware was sheduled to run a spyware scan every night at 2.
I shut this off and voila no more blue screens to wake up too.

However time passed and the BSOD returned. Id leave the PC for a few hours and return to the blue screen with the kernal error showing. I googled for it and apparently its either memory/corruption/hdd dying or some other serious system fault.

Downloaded memtest and ran it through a couple of cycles. Memory checked out fine.

Ran scandisk and it said something was using the hdd or somesuch so scheduled another test upon reboot. Rebooted. IT checked and found nothing wrong with the pc.

So i thought HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZ

This had not been happening prior to installing Avast! antivirus (nb3 recommendation )
I had a look around in the settings and found nothing of real relevance. I found it odd that it seemed to happen only when the PC was idle.... but my pc wasnt idle all the time. IT would kick into the screensaver. I disabled my fancy and funky screensaver and set it back to windows default.

BSOD continued to appear.
I then returned to looking at Avast and had failed to notice thaty it does some sort of backup thing "VRDB generation" and low and behold its set to run during the screensaver.

Now ive disabled it and so far (fingers crosssed) the BSOD hasnt returned. What worries me somewhat is why have two programs (MS antispyware and Avast) both had to have scheduled scans turned off and 'background processes' disabled whilst the screensaver or whatnot is running to ensure my PC doesnt lock up?

Has anyone else found this problem?

Im curious because although i think ive fixed it with some detective work im still not totally sure why it would even happen in the first place.

Any thuoghts?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote