User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Oct 2003, 00:38   #1
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Max Payne 2 [No spoilers in initial post, but someone will post some no doubt]

Things that are the same (be they good or bad):

It's pretty short. This is of course, a big minus, but with the advent of Dead Man Walking (See below), and there being so MUCH STUFF GOING ON, the replay value is immense. Plus, see: Havok and the like.

It's got bullet time.

Same noirer than thou setting.

The fact that it's unbelieveably pretty.

The enormous numbers of easter eggs, subtle clues, big clues and the best TV ever.

Things that are different:

Dead Man Walking. This is a mode you unlock after finishing the Single Player for the first time. The basic idea is you're put in a small arena, with a number of painkillers scattered about the level, and enemies keep on spawning in, slowly at first, then faster and faster. Your basic idea is to survive as long as possible. It's just the thing for people who like mindless skirmishes, which is something that Max Payne does very very well.

The bullet time. Now it may seem a small issue (such things as it lasting slightly longer, recharging itself, getting more from killing enemies), but it's actually now much more useful; whereas in MP1, I only really used it to kill the grenadiers in the final mission, now it's essential, and looks decidedly brilliant. When you activate it, the screen becomes fuscia-y, like old films, and the whole feel of it is just terrific. Oh, and with the addition of the next point, the dodges are so much more useful. Add that to the fact that you can continue firing when on the floor having shotdodged (or whatever the term is) is very useful indeed.

The Physics Engine. I cannot overstate this enough. This is fantastic. A combination of Ragdoll and the Havok 2 engine (that's the thing that half life 2's physics is based on) means that this not only looks pretty, but is animated pretty to. You can leap through boxes, knock things off tables, down stairs, push people back over the edge of a chasm so they tumble to their doom, roll explosive barrels towards enemies... and so much more. Whilst this is a (admittedly quite substantial) form of gimmickery that will lessen when these kinds of things become more common, in the here and now Max Payne 2 has the best physics engine around, and it's great fun to play with.

I'm getting tired, and am going to bed, and will think of more to comment on when I arise.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2003, 01:01   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Max Payne 2 [No spoilers in initial post, but someone will post some no doubt]

Oh, and the end credits are worth it for the final song alone.

It's great, and I'll find a host for an mp3 of it (no copyright theft, it's going to be hosted on the Rockstar website in the next couple of weeks)
Unread 26 Oct 2003, 16:35   #3
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
Re: Max Payne 2 [No spoilers in initial post, but someone will post some no doubt]

so you give 10 of 10?

mp1 was ace and revolutionary, it is sad that my pc is too slow for mp2

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2003, 16:38   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Not 10/10, mainly because it's much too ****ING SHORT.
Unread 26 Oct 2003, 16:40   #5
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

i cant believe they didnt learn that from mp1...

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 19:01   #6
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I played the Demo, me likes. So me gots. I didn't like MP1 at all, this one feels much better.

Too Short?

I assume its only too short if I skip over the over dramtic comics right with fast forward.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 21:29   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Too Short?
As in 'not long enough and with a crap and nearly identical boss'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
I assume its only too short if I skip over the over dramtic comics right with fast forward.
Any game that I can play through on easy, reading all the comics, play through on medium, finding every easter egg I could, listening to all the conversations, and reading all the comics (again), and then play through on hard skipping the comics in about 12-15 hours is a SHORT GAME.
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 05:34   #8
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point

Loved the demo, now I'm gonna hafta find the original.

Yea, I'm always a generation behind on this stuff. I still plan to buy WCIII one of these days!

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 18:01   #9
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

too short of a game - ace though

guess who dies

you get to play as Mona which is not bad - she's pretty good

gets trickier towards end tho :| - I was stuck on the final scene where you have to shoot the bolts etc holding it up to the ceiling
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 21:29   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
guess who dies
Guess who doesn't die in the alternate ending.
Unread 29 Nov 2003, 10:36   #11
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Guess who doesn't die in the alternate ending.
I havent done the game in all the game play modes so I have no idea... wink
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2003, 02:36   #12
Intrepid00

There is an alternate ending? Due tell how I get to it?
Unread 29 Nov 2003, 04:44   #13
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is it the same you that moderates 'all' the Steampowered forums?

Thought I'd ask.
Unread 29 Nov 2003, 15:13   #14
Intrepid00

I am working on Hard Boiled now, but I have stoped cause I just got Call of Duty.