User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Sep 2005, 17:01   #1
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Why are resources like this?

What is the point in having each race use around 25% more of a single resource type for _ALL_ the ships they can make? The stats don't really lend themselves to attacking your own race all the time, resulting in people with virtually equal amounts of all roids (most people use mines to balance their intial income anyway, so trying to steal specific kinds of roids is usually futile). This means everyone except Xan has to either:
A) Hope they're in a sufficiently active galaxy, with a suitable race distribution, and similar level of income for each planet in order to trade efficiently, or
B) Lose a large portion of their income trading on the open market.

This makes no sense whatsoever to me. Surely a more logical solution would be for every race to have some ships that use more Metal, some that use more Crystal, and some that use more Eon, while keeping the main focus one specific resource. That way players will still have an option of buying certain kinds of ships without a trading loss, or being able to trade in order to get the exact ships they want.
Another alternative would be making finance centers "optimize the resource-flow" by converting unwanted resources into needed ones automatically. Right now the current system or forcing resource trading for all but one race is just silly.
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 17:06   #2
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Why are resources like this?

How about adding something, either ingame or at signup, but certainly before ticks start, where u can say which resource uses more. For instnace

Cutlass could be 3k m, 3k c 3k e + 1k of whatvere resource chosen. if you choose say e, as it is now, then it applies to all ships that u build.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 17:25   #3
zen
zenguard

zen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura about

The current system is ok.
It engourages to cooperation within galaxy - and the loss of trading in open markets is not that big of a deal.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 17:34   #4
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, its been something like this since round 1. If you made everything equal then you might was well just have "Resources" and generic "Asteroids". Its there so that people feel there's a need for each kind of resource.

X presents some interesting ideas. You could have FC's take a percentage point off of the conversion penalty, to a max of 20.
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 17:35   #5
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
The current system is ok.
It engourages to cooperation within galaxy - and the loss of trading in open markets is not that big of a deal.
How does it encourage cooperation within a galaxy when the races and sizes of planet need to well balanced within that gal? For example, I'm a terran in a xan-heavy galaxy. They don't need to trade much at all. I however lose around 1 million crystal and eonium a day trading into metal on the open market.

What about small or inactive galaxies?
Not to mention the single blinding fact: why should _every_ non-xan player have to trade resources _every_ day to buy _any_ ship?
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 17:37   #6
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

A cooperating buddy pack will have a Xan building lots of mines early on. So I buddied with a Cat and Zik, so I built 0 metal mines and like 4 Crystal / 6 E mines. I then spent a lot of time doing my best to even out the galaxy fund.

Thats one type of cooperation.
Unread 17 Sep 2005, 03:12   #7
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Ron7684 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayl
X presents some interesting ideas. You could have FC's take a percentage point off of the conversion penalty, to a max of 20.
Cayl, this poses a problem.

First off, you cant lower the fund trading fees as this would unbalance the fund and it would never grow.
Secondly, if you lower the open market fees, its quite useless to make it 5% because then people would just trade open. Maybe take it down to only 15% fees for open market.
Ron7684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2005, 09:26   #8
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been an MoD every round i have ever played in pa speedgame or normal alike and tbh i think that everyone should need different amounts of something for different ships.
Like Zik is eo heavy , cat crystal , terran metal i think xans should be a mix of all 3 so dependiing what ships they want to build they will more than likely to use the fund to exchange.
Anyways not everyone has = roids so when an xan lands an attack hes always bound to have more roids than another to exchange with the fund which is always good as the fund can grow on its own using exhanges.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 22:17   #9
DJet
Wearer of The Hat

DJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the rough

Im a cath, ive never had a problem with lack of C, nor have i really traded with the uni fund for it... i just pump out C refinaries as needed
Unread 20 Sep 2005, 10:37   #10
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

To answer the topic question, it's to pose a problem for players to solve. It also helps curb the growth of larger planets.

I've suggested (several times) that the open market should actually work on supply/demand so that it's possible for an alliance to try to manipulate the market. (For example, I'm told Reunion had a high level of Xan this round, compare to a high level of Cath in ND. Reunion could then have bought up Crystal to force ND to buy expensive Crystal on the open market.)

Of course, it would be fun to implement some of the other market mechanisms, such as short selling and other stuff I barely know how works.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote