User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 9 Apr 2003, 10:52   #1
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future
Help!!! (FDISK, New HD etc)

I have a 40Gb Seagate HD that I have placed straight into a Packard Bell PC because the old drive is f***ed. When coming to booting up the PC it says it doesn't regonise the HD (Invalid System Disk or something).

The PC originally came with 2 Master CDs that allow the PC to format etc, but I can't get these to run when starting up, I only seemd to be able to use them in Windows.

All I want to know is from fresh how do I install Windows XP or these Master CDs.

I tried using fdisk but my knowledge on fdisk is bare, I had no idea what any of the commands are.

Any questions please ask, and any information is helpful.

I have until 6PM to prepare myself to go back infront of the PC and fix it.

Please help me

Thank You in advance

Minty

<Bobzy> Minty, you have a line for everything
<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Ice-Lady> minty is a odd boy
<Game> Minty rocks
<Queen> no minty..cos u rock
<HobbieRogue4> Minty, you stone!
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2003, 11:09   #2
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future
I forgot to add that I put in the Windows XP CD, I formatted and installed Windows XP on it, it rebooted then took me back to the installing screen for XP, I formatted again, hoping it will now work but it didn't.

Would it make a difference that the Windows XP CD had Compaq on it because it came with some Compaq machines?

As above, anything will help

Cheers

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 9 Apr 2003, 11:12   #3
Minty
Who?

I didn't get the following in bold below. Says not fdisks have been setup or something

Quote:
1. Once you have assembled your computer, insert the Windows 98 boot disk (discussed in HowTo Format - also tells how to get it). and power on your computer. Assuming you have no major error messages, you should boot to the A: prompt. Now type in fdisk and you will begin setting up your hard drive. You will probably want to press Y to enable large disk support (FAT32).Press 1 to create a DOS partition. 1 to create primary DOS partition. Unless you need to create separate partitions, just allow it to use all available space in the primary partition and to make it active. You can press 4 to display partition information from the front menu. Make sure C: is partition one and is set as active (A). Exit fdisk and restart your computer with the floppy disk still inserted.
*Note - fdisk may display a smaller amount of disk space that what you think your drive is supposed to be. That's normal so don't be alarmed (i.e. a 9 GB drive may display 8,754 MB).

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 9 Apr 2003, 11:19   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
You're trying to install a Compaq WinXP OS CD onto a Packard Bell PC?

That isn't going to work, most likely some crappy protection thing these OEM builders have a fetish about.

Having said that however... looks like you got somewhere...

Quote:
forgot to add that I put in the Windows XP CD, I formatted and installed Windows XP on it, it rebooted then took me back to the installing screen for XP, I formatted again, hoping it will now work but it didn't.
Umm... you did remember to change the BIOS after installing WinXP right? Remember, WinXP requires boot to CD first, once you install it, change the BIOS so that it boots from the HDD first, otherwise if it keeps booting from the CD first you keep getting WinXP install screen.

Also, I don't think Fdisk is the issue, if you managed to get winXP installed onto it, then you don't need to format, even then, if you did need to format the HDD, WinXP would prompt you to do so.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2003, 11:34   #5
Minty
Who?

Ok, if that doesn't work I am going to hold you responsible

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks