User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Aug 2003, 03:35   #1
Yossarian

Women & Sport

You're playing sport or some game with your lady-friends that you know you could easily win if you tried. Do you?

a) Show them who's boss. Play seriously and show that your good at the game but risk making them a bit down.

b) Let them win so they feel good about themselves at the risk of you looking bad

c) Let them get close so it won't seem one sided, but do enough to make sure you win

And with that immortal word, Discuss.
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 03:43   #2
Monkehpimp
'Useless'

Monkehpimp is an unknown quantity at this point
C.

less effort while still being superior.

win-win.
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 11:47   #3
warrmr

warrmr is an unknown quantity at this point
thats easy. play them first to 10.

and let them win the first few games and when it gets to say her 3-4 win you win a round then let her get 5 wind in total and then you win overall cos if its a draw 5-5 then play 1 last round to see whos the daddy
warrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 12:45   #4
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
I'd give her proper handicap, even if it was 9 stones+, so we could both play a challenging game.
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 13:13   #5
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Since we all know that it's not about winning, but about participating and the joy of playing, I say slow down and let the women have fun. That way they might like you better (unless they're looking for cavemen, some are like that you know), and you can relax a whole lot more.

Matrim
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 13:15   #6
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
A or C
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 13:46   #7
Spacebaboon

Spacebaboon is an unknown quantity at this point
Why play to win? just play for fun... equal out the game by concetrating on your weak points... That way you keep it fun for her (she can beat you to) and you can practise your weak points...
Spacebaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 14:15   #8
DusteMikkelRev

DusteMikkelRev is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Spacebaboon
Why play to win? just play for fun... equal out the game by concetrating on your weak points... That way you keep it fun for her (she can beat you to) and you can practise your weak points...
Like playing with ure left hand in a game of pingpong
(if ure right handed ofc, or vica versa)
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 14:53   #9
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Spacebaboon
Why play to win? just play for fun

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 14:55   #10
Spacebaboon

Quote:
Originally posted by DusteMikkelRev
Like playing with ure left hand in a game of pingpong
(if ure right handed ofc, or vica versa)
More like if you aim very bad at ping pong... Focus on your aim and not on the things you're already good at...
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 14:56   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Let her win all the time. If she get's too arrogant then thrash the living **** out of her. At the game, or you know, just generally.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 14:57   #12
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
she wont like ya, if you dont take her serious..

Unread 2 Aug 2003, 14:57   #13
Spacebaboon

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Let her win all the time. If she get's too arrogant then thrash the living **** out of her. At the game, or you know, just generally.

you must be a very popular person...
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 15:14   #14
Cryptic
Retard Magnet

Cryptic is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matrim
Since we all know that it's not about winning, but about participating and the joy of playing, I say slow down and let the women have fun. That way they might like you better (unless they're looking for cavemen, some are like that you know), and you can relax a whole lot more.

Matrim
are you a paid up member of the effeminise men society.

Men play to win - even if we even up the odds to make things fair ... we still want to win.
Equating competitiveness and the will to win with being a caveman is a rather idiotic and simple minded view.
Why on earth shoudl 50% of the worlds population devalue their own instincts and feelings.

If you get tired of the crap , baby move over here and maybe buy some of mine

R1 c7R / Fury co-founder / annoying bully / Propaganda mechant.

Crypto Inc Comics
Cryptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 15:33   #15
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Contrary to my AD reflexes, I agree with Cryptic.

Men always play to win (well real men do anyway ). If we think we have no hope of winning, we tend not to play.
If not playing isnt an option, we still try to win even if it's hopeless.

This has nothing to do with being a 'caveman', though personally I do not find that term offensive. Real estate prices being what they are, I see caves coming back into fashion as a viable alternative in the near future.

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 15:34   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I heard that women compete too.
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 15:46   #17
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Quote:
I heard that women compete too.
Some do. Most dont.

From my personal experience most women just dont tend to be interested in winning at all.
This extends from tennis ("I'm not running to all the way over there to reach that ball... why cant you hit the ball _towards_ me instead of to the other corner??") to soccer ("Slidings will get my outfit dirty") and even to RISK ("Why dont you attack green?" "I already attacked him last turn, I feel sorry for him").

Unread 2 Aug 2003, 15:48   #18
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic
Men play to win - even if we even up the odds to make things fair ... we still want to win.
if men compete with men, i agree.

however men 'vs' women is a different situation and i think men tends primary to impress women.

Unread 2 Aug 2003, 15:50   #19
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Fifth_teletubbie
From my personal experience most women just dont tend to be interested in winning at all.
Argument is a sport to women.
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 16:28   #20
Spacebaboon

Quote:
Argument is a sport to women.
Arguing now hats a sport women do compete in...
And dear god, you know what happens if they don't win...
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 16:43   #21
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Quote:
Originally posted by Lupin
if men compete with men, i agree.

however men 'vs' women is a different situation and i think men tends primary to impress women.
Don't try to impress them, just let them win.

Unread 2 Aug 2003, 17:03   #22
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

but than they'll hate you, because you dont take her/'em serious

Unread 2 Aug 2003, 17:07   #23
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
at hockeytraining we often play against a girlsteam. when we play full-force they don't stand a chance, but it's no fun to play that way. + we're kind of lazy.
so C.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 17:18   #24
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
there's a difference in all out playing to win, and winning by playing 'fair' (for lack of better words)

for example you could shark me at pool.. or you could let me sink a few balls and then still win.
it's a hard thing to do though i guess. my ex did option C to me all the time (which i appreciated even if i didn't win) but one time i DID win, and he responded with sharking me 3 games in a row, and being a complete asshole about it. at that point i quit and wouldn't play anymore that night. i mean is losing to a girl.. even if it's 'by accident' really that big a deal to guys?
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 17:51   #25
Cryptic
Retard Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
there's a difference in all out playing to win, and winning by playing 'fair' (for lack of better words)

for example you could shark me at pool.. or you could let me sink a few balls and then still win.
it's a hard thing to do though i guess. my ex did option C to me all the time (which i appreciated even if i didn't win) but one time i DID win, and he responded with sharking me 3 games in a row, and being a complete asshole about it. at that point i quit and wouldn't play anymore that night. i mean is losing to a girl.. even if it's 'by accident' really that big a deal to guys?
The majority of guys would do that .... unless they are controlled enough to fake being sensitive and non comeptitive to get into your knickers.

Crypto Inc Comics
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 20:39   #26
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society
If a guy lets me win, I lose all respect for him. If he tries to let me think I almost did, and then beats me at the end, I lose almost all respect for him, but appreciate what he is trying to do. This is only really relevant to me when I'm doing jitsu/judo, but if I'm against someone who is bigger/stronger/more skilled than I am, and I want them to give me something to work with so I can learn from the experience, I'll ask them to (and I invariably do). I learned more from having 16 stone of purple belt come crashing down on me when I did something wrong than I would have done if he hadn't shown me that I was leaving myself open to an easy win for my opponent. The most annoying thing is when they pretend that they're trying when they aren't, and you know they aren't trying but they think you think they are. It leaves me totally unable to judge my own level of skill and it's very frustrating. I don't mind guys pretending that they let me win when I actually beat them fair and square, because both of us know that I did and they just don't want to admit it. I want to win, but I also want to know that I've won, and not be wondering if my opponent just let me win.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 21:04   #27
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
(Going off on what i hope will be an interesting tangent here)
I am somewhat dissapointed. I wish each gender was equal, but we arent. Yadda yadda men are physically stronger (generally ofc), but some things i see no reason why men should be better than women.
Snooker, darts, golf, for instance. Id say music as well (in general).
I would personally prefer a day where all sports were mixed, or there was at least a mixed option. "Womens sport" to me means the quality, limits, and boundaries will tend to be lower, and i dont like that. I dont like admitting it, and i dont like it being the way it is.
On a last point; why has no one ever made a fuss (as far as i have perceived) about the word female? (Presuming it is the latin, inferior male)

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 22:49   #28
Cryptic
Retard Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
(Going off on what i hope will be an interesting tangent here)
I am somewhat dissapointed. I wish each gender was equal, but we arent. Yadda yadda men are physically stronger (generally ofc), but some things i see no reason why men should be better than women.
Snooker, darts, golf, for instance. Id say music as well (in general).
I would personally prefer a day where all sports were mixed, or there was at least a mixed option. "Womens sport" to me means the quality, limits, and boundaries will tend to be lower, and i dont like that. I dont like admitting it, and i dont like it being the way it is.
On a last point; why has no one ever made a fuss (as far as i have perceived) about the word female? (Presuming it is the latin, inferior male)
In Ultra distance running gender makes no noticable difference.
Golf as you mentioned will suffer from differences - althought the clubs do alot of the work - the height and wieght of the golfer play a part in the equation.
Same with darts - height and specifically reach play to advantage even when accuracy and skill are equal.

Crypto Inc Comics
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 23:08   #29
Cryptic
Retard Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer
If a guy lets me win, I lose all respect for him. If he tries to let me think I almost did, and then beats me at the end, I lose almost all respect for him, but appreciate what he is trying to do. This is only really relevant to me when I'm doing jitsu/judo, but if I'm against someone who is bigger/stronger/more skilled than I am, and I want them to give me something to work with so I can learn from the experience, I'll ask them to (and I invariably do). I learned more from having 16 stone of purple belt come crashing down on me when I did something wrong than I would have done if he hadn't shown me that I was leaving myself open to an easy win for my opponent. The most annoying thing is when they pretend that they're trying when they aren't, and you know they aren't trying but they think you think they are. It leaves me totally unable to judge my own level of skill and it's very frustrating. I don't mind guys pretending that they let me win when I actually beat them fair and square, because both of us know that I did and they just don't want to admit it. I want to win, but I also want to know that I've won, and not be wondering if my opponent just let me win.
With all the social conditioning and instictive feelings, its very hard for a man switch them off and treat a female opponent like he would a male.
My ex wife was a black belt in ju-jitsu, 5'8 and not small built by any means. After a particularly stupid and emotive relationship arguement she assaulted me and was not pullying strikes .... I blocked and defended myself for 3 minutes before finally loosing some control and instinctively striking back.
I didn't use my full body weight or excessive force but I still knocked her out ( not something i am proud of ).
Even though I was the one attacked initially and had severe bruising about my body - the police arrested me and a WPC verbally abused me in public at the hospital. No charges were brought to the distaste of the female police officer .... even though i was simply trying to defend myself - and there will be people who after reading my comments will think regardless that I am scum and should be strung up.

Crypto Inc Comics
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 23:11   #30
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic
...instinctively striking back....

Most people's eyes will have glazed over at this point heh.