User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 28 Jun 2006, 12:47   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Overclocking

Some advice really as although google is acetastic its sometimes difficult to find the right answer.

I am currently runnigng the following rig :

Abit Av8 3rd Eye S939
AMD64 3000+ (Venice Core) @ 1.8ghz (at stock although it isnt at stock anymore)

1Gb Crucial Ballistix High performance RAM PC3200 Dual Channel Kit
Tagan 420w PSU
2 SATA Samsung Spinpoint 250gb drives
Galaxy Geforce 6600GT

In addition to those i have just installed watercooling so both the Geforce and CPU are cooler than a cucumber.

Now as i have googled extensively i know that the venice can be overclocked a huge amount.
This is what iv edone so far but want some help going a bit further if possible :

I have dropped the LTD to 3x from 5x.
Ive dropped the memory from DDR400 to DDR266.
The HTT has risen from 200 to 267.1mhz with a x9.0 multiplyer (its locked at x9 for venice)

As such ive gone from a 1.8ghz processor to one running at 2.4ghz.

Im quite pleased and seemingly its stable.

Temperature readings on it currently stand at 21degreesC at idle.

However I have a problem that hopefully a delivery from quietpc tomorrow ill fix. (When installing the watercooling block on the geforce i had to remove the heatsink and fan. However the heatsink also covered all of the ram chips and some other chip i think called the HTU or something on the graphics card. The waterblock only covers the GPU so all these other things keep overheating from time to time and the pc freezes.....) soooo no stress testing yet so no 'upper limit' numbers on temp but i doubt itll go much above 40 if at all.

The memory frequency is running at 171.7mhz (on all stock settings this is 200mhz)

the FSBRAM is CPU/14

So what i want to know is how hard can i push this system. I got to 2.5ghz which was stable and did POST but when it hit windows i had a Driver less or equal IRQL error message and the BSOD.

Baring in mine that currently everything is also at stock voltages.

(CPU is at 1.4 varying to 1.44 at times according to the abit monitor)

What do i need to do to get rid of the BSOD problems and also how can i get the memory upto 200mhz as it was before.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2006, 14:07   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Overclocking

I don't know what an LTD or an HTT are =(
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2006, 14:16   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the LDT is the multiplier you use to find out the FSB:

So if the multiplier is 5x and the HTT (which is basically the CPU clock speed) is 200 then the total speed of the motherboard = 1000mhz

As such it can go a little over but not a vast amount (1050 or something is about the limit)....this means you have to drop the LDT so that you can up the processor speed.

so dropping to 3x would lead to a 600mhz FSB with a 200mhz htt.

as ive upped it to 267 then the overall FSB = 800mhz ish (way off what can be achieved)

The memory is in a divider or something ( i dont really understand this part) and when set to DDR266 it divides the overall cpu speed (HTTx9.0) by 14.

so in this case its 2400mhz / 14 = 170 something mhz.

the memory is good upto 200mhz.

if i change the memory to DDR333 in the bios then it refuses to even boot or POST and needs a cmos reset so presumably ddr333 divides it by 9 or something which would '**** it all up yo'.

As such if i keep the LDT at x3 and the memory at DDR266 by raising the HTT slowly upwards i think i should be able to hit 2.8ghz cpu and :. 200mhz memory. (so infact id have to down it a bit)

Therefore the max HTT without pushing the memory harder would be 311...

(311 x 9 = 2.8ghz) - Processor
(2800 / 14 = 200mhz) - Memory
(311 x 3 = 933) - Overall FSB (Max is around 1050)

Make more sense?
Unread 28 Jun 2006, 14:18   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

(I realise it looks like ive answered my question but im really not 100% sure that any of that is correct.....plus im still stuck on things like voltages and the BSOD i had when i upped it....does lack of voltage cause the BSOD in windows?)
Unread 28 Jun 2006, 15:57   #5
JammyJim
Godfather

Just as some more info on this. In the bios if i raise the HTT to around 290 it will accept it and the chip goes to the correct speed but then all of a sudden the numbers start flickering and the such.

Ive got it upto 2.522ghz atm after i raised the voltage from 1.4 to 1.5 in the bios....

on watercooling it should go even higher. what am i doing wrong