User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Jun 2003, 21:57   #1
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
virus

my dumb assed little sister has got herself a virus, that's not my problem, i've fixed her pc, my problem is the **** of a virus has copied emails containing itself as an attachment into every folder on every network writable drive on our network (6pc's in this house). is there a quick way to delete all of these (don't say format, as one of these drives is my mp3 collection that has taken years to put together...)
Unread 15 Jun 2003, 22:12   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Couldn't you just use the Windows Search facility (i.e. Start=>Search=>Files and Folders=>All Files and Folders) to search for every file of that name and then highlight/delete en massé?

If you want to search Network drives then you could just mount the drives as Network drives (and then search C:; D:; Z:;). Obviously it won't affect the Program Files/Windows dirs on affected PC's.

Unless you mean something else, I'm sure there's utilities which do the same thing, and you could easily roll your own in most languages.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2003, 23:21   #3
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Couldn't you just use the Windows Search facility (i.e. Start=>Search=>Files and Folders=>All Files and Folders) to search for every file of that name and then highlight/delete en massé?

If you want to search Network drives then you could just mount the drives as Network drives (and then search C:; D:; Z:. Obviously it won't affect the Program Files/Windows dirs on affected PC's.

Unless you mean something else, I'm sure there's utilities which do the same thing, and you could easily roll your own in most languages.
ah, i forgot the mention, in every single occurance of the file i've found it has a different file name. however the size is always the same as is the extention. i tried del d:\*.eml but that did fk all. if all else fails i will have to install some anti virus software and see what that does (in 7/8 years of desktop pc use i've never once installed anti-virus software :/).
Unread 15 Jun 2003, 23:26   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Add
ah, i forgot the mention, in every single occurance of the file i've found it has a different file name. however the size is always the same as is the extention. i tried del d:\*.eml but that did fk all. if all else fails i will have to install some anti virus software and see what that does (in 7/8 years of desktop pc use i've never once installed anti-virus software :/).
Search for *.eml then and just put file sizes as the conditions (you might also want to put in creation date if that's the same).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 09:16   #5
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Search "My computer" for *.eml (or whatever it is), and just delete them all? Or, if there are actually some useful .eml files (whatever .eml is supposed to be), add some of the contents of the file to the search. (That would mean opening one in Notepad.) The search function on mine seems to only be able to search for files bigger than, or smaller than, but not both, a size given in kilobytes, not bytes...
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 10:40   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my ($root, $ex, $size) = @ARGV;
&cleandir($root);

sub cleandir {
	my ($f, $s,@a);
	opendir(DIR, $_[0]) || die "Cannot open directory $_[0]"; chdir($_[0]);
	foreach $f (readdir(DIR)) {
		if ($f eq "." || $f eq "..") {next;}
		elsif (-d $f) {cleandir($f);}
		elsif ($f =~ /\.$ex$/) {@a=stat($f);if ($a[7] == $size) {unlink $f;}}
	}
	chdir("..");
}
will remove all files in a directory tree with a given extension and size

use it like

"perl cleaner.pl c:\ eml 56"

where c:\ is the directory to start in, eml is the extension, and 56 is the size of the file in bytes

Last edited by Nodrog; 16 Jun 2003 at 10:46.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 11:08   #7
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
perl!!!!!!

perl -MFile::Find -e'File::Find::find(sub{/\.eml$/i&&-f&&-s==56&&unlink},"/some/directory");

(replace 56 and /some/directory)
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 15:24   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
eml? nimda?

Anyway, smartest thing would be to close all network folders, delete all EML files and reboot the systems a few times. If on one PC the eml files come back (as I had when I got nimda), then you know it's infected.
Deleting these files with the network folders still enabled might cause you more work if it wasn't cleaned properly.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:46   #9
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Add
(in 7/8 years of desktop pc use i've never once installed anti-virus software :/).
And that's why you have a virus. In fact, I'm fairly confident you'll have plenty of stupid (and possibly not so stupid) viruses on your system. You just don't know, becuase you don't have a virus prog! Or indeed, if you use a *nix-type system

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 16:53   #10
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
perl!!!!!!

perl -MFile::Find -e'File::Find::find(sub{/\.eml$/i&&-f&&-s==56&&unlink},"/some/directory");

(replace 56 and /some/directory)
find /mount/samba -iname '*.eml' | xargs rm -rf

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote