User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Mar 2003, 10:00   #1
Zword
more then you can ever be

Zword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these parts
Stupid soundcarts

I'm making a project about supid soundcarts. The point is that we have to find the oldes soundcard of Creative LTD. I've searched google but didn't find crap. So does any one know somethings..............
(20:55:52) (@w2k) if registrations are disabled how did spinner sign up :\
(20:56:29) (@w2k) spinner isnt cool anymore

(06:41:50) (Shai-gar) Add meaple to Your Ignore List
(06:42:00) (Ghosteh) why?
(06:42:24) (Shai-gar) i dislike the ****
(06:42:37) (Ghosteh) heh

/me likes meaple <3
Zword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 10:01   #2
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
I know something alright.

Canṫ help you though.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 10:03   #3
Zword
more then you can ever be

Zword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by xtrasyn
I know something alright.

Canṫ help you though.
bah I hate my chosen subject

edit: * it must be the oldest sound card that creative has produced ffs
(20:55:52) (@w2k) if registrations are disabled how did spinner sign up :\
(20:56:29) (@w2k) spinner isnt cool anymore

(06:41:50) (Shai-gar) Add meaple to Your Ignore List
(06:42:00) (Ghosteh) why?
(06:42:24) (Shai-gar) i dislike the ****
(06:42:37) (Ghosteh) heh

/me likes meaple <3
Zword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 12:19   #4
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
I dunno, the original Sound Blaster perhaps.

These were the old makes, Im guessing Sound Blaster 1.x was first. (8 Bit soundcard).

Sound Blaster 1.x
Sound Blaster 2.x
Sound Blaster Pro
Sound Blaster 16
Sound Blaster 16 PnP
Sound Blaster 32/AWE
Sound Blaster AWE64
Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
Sound Blaster PCI64/128

Yep its difficult to find info :/
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 12:45   #5
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
heh, I have a demo tape of the first soundblaster in a box somewhere. it is cool... all those cool sounds on wing commander and so on.. heh.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 13:05   #6
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
bah they're all crap cards

You wanna get a nice M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Admittedly that doesnt help you at all find out about your crappy creative card but im bored.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 13:26   #7
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
The original funnily enough was simply the Sound Blaster (8 bit/mono) sound card. Somewhere burried deep in my storage closet I've still got one with manuals etc, but no way I'm digging through all that... the spiders might eat me

Only semi-decent info I could find was at:

http://www.tomshardware.com/video/20011130/

http://www.rodsbooks.com/sound/sound-sb.html

I expected a lot more actually, as really it is a significant peice of PC history.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 13:28   #8
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
nothing beats LeChuck's theme music from The Secret of Monkey Island, on the PC internal speaker....

that was neat.

Unread 21 Mar 2003, 13:35   #9
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
nothing beats LeChuck's theme music from The Secret of Monkey Island, on the PC internal speaker....

that was neat.
Hmm.. I was never lucky enough to get my hand on that game back then.. but shareware classics like Jill Of The Jungle and Ken's Labyrinth had rocking pc music, even speech in the latter.

The only irritating thing was the fact that PC speaker has no volume control and most games of the time had a knack for using the highest and loudest frequencies they could which often got me booted from the computer room for trying to sneak games in.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 13:40   #10
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by djbass
Hmm.. I was never lucky enough to get my hand on that game back then.. but shareware classics like Jill Of The Jungle and Ken's Labyrinth had rocking pc music, even speech in the latter.

The only irritating thing was the fact that PC speaker has no volume control and most games of the time had a knack for using the highest and loudest frequencies they could which often got me booted from the computer room for trying to sneak games in.

=[DJ Bass]=
hehe, it was mint... a whole 16 colours too. ace.

Unread 21 Mar 2003, 13:44   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
hehe, it was mint... a whole 16 colours too. ace.
Mint eh?

YOU'RE, appropriately enough for the thread, LIVING IN THE PAST!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 16:51   #12
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
heh, jill of the jungle!
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 17:15   #13
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
i have a soundblaster 1.0 at home

the thing made doom

when i get home i will zip up and upload the drivers
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 17:46   #14
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Its funny, really, how the IBM compatible PC became the premier games entertainment platform.

Consider the lowly Spectrum. It boasted better graphics, sound and games than the comparable PC at the time. The Commodore C64 blew the PC out of the water for graphics and sound also. Then came the Amiga/Atari (personal bias - I still drag my Atari out of the cupboard for some truly awesome games - Red Storm Rising, Joan of Arc, Speedball II, Magic Pockets, Populous et al) of course the Atari was better, everyone knew that

Unfortunately, the 16bit machines stagnated, whilst the PC grew more versatile - only one winner in the end. The Falcon promised so much and delivered so little, and the TT was just too expensive.

However, the best game I have ever played, on any machine, was Super Mario Brothers. There can be no questions about that, surely?

Hmm. A nice topic for a dissertation tbh.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 17:56   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
However, the best game I have ever played, on any machine, was Super Mario Brothers. There can be no questions about that, surely?
Depends which side of the fence you sit on, I could say the same for Sonic The Hedgehog.

=[DJ Bass]=