User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 16 Jan 2003, 18:18   #1
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
HTTP to SSH gateway

Is there a public HTTP to SSH gateway anyone knows of? I've tried googling to no avail, all I get are Java SSH clients which aren't any good as they won't run over the university proxy/firewall.

There's a few telnet ones but I *need* SSH =// Helpy hands?
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 18:44   #2
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Re: HTTP to SSH gateway

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
Is there a public HTTP to SSH gateway anyone knows of? I've tried googling to no avail, all I get are Java SSH clients which aren't any good as they won't run over the university proxy/firewall.

There's a few telnet ones but I *need* SSH =// Helpy hands?
You might as well open a telnet port on your box *shudder*
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 18:46   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Not my box, so I can't use telnet, only SSH =/
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 18:52   #4
Petrucci

www.http-tunnel.com
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 18:54   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

I'm under observation for attempted tunneling, and I can't be fecked with a £75 fine.

Any other ideas?
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 19:13   #6
Petrucci

it's free.

second. under observation? what's illegal with tunneling ssh traffic over http?
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 19:15   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by Petrucci
it's free.

second. under observation? what's illegal with tunneling ssh traffic over http?
I'm at Uni, tunneling protocols is against the AUP and subject to a £75 fine
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 23:20   #8
TheShadow

TheShadow is on a distinguished road
Out of curiosity, why are they restricting SSH? And is this from a uni computer or your own computer connected to the uni network?
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 23:50   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by TheShadow
Out of curiosity, why are they restricting SSH? And is this from a uni computer or your own computer connected to the uni network?
This is my computer connected to ResNet: the Residential Network, which is in turn connected to the main network and the proxy. And SSH is allowed internally, but you can't get it past the firewall. You can't get much past the firewall, no IRC, no FTP, no SMTP, now't.

Do not come to Edinburgh if you like your onlinéd-ness
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 23:56   #10
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
You have an account on a unix-type machine at the university?

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 23:59   #11
TheShadow

TheShadow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is my computer connected to ResNet: the Residential Network, which is in turn connected to the main network and the proxy. And SSH is allowed internally, but you can't get it past the firewall. You can't get much past the firewall, no IRC, no FTP, no SMTP, now't.

Do not come to Edinburgh if you like your onlinéd-ness
Is the net connectivity at unis usually limited around the world? As far I can remember, you aren't the first one to mention restricted internet connectivity.

At my uni they don't limit what kind of traffic you can have, nor do they have global firewalls or proxies. We get externally accessable IPs through DHCP with a 30 days lease.
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 00:13   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by TheShadow
Is the net connectivity at unis usually limited around the world? As far I can remember, you aren't the first one to mention restricted internet connectivity.

At my uni they don't limit what kind of traffic you can have, nor do they have global firewalls or proxies. We get externally accessable IPs through DHCP with a 30 days lease.
Edinburgh has the most oppresive network restrictions I've seen: I've friends in uni's around the rest of the UK who can IRC, game, anything, with no trouble at all.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 10:26   #13
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
The University of Salford simply decided to abandon access for student halls, such was the level of abuse. I kinda agree with the decision tbh, as there's 24hr access on campus anyway.

But that's besides the point...

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 10:40   #14
MisterZ

MisterZ is an unknown quantity at this point
you can ssh to your DICE account and from it you can do pretty much everything. You have a DICE account, right?
MisterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 13:43   #15
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterZ
you can ssh to your DICE account and from it you can do pretty much everything. You have a DICE account, right?
Aye, didn't know if
a) I *could* actually ssh to an external system through DICE
b) I *was allowed* to do the above

I'll give it a bash like.

And MT: DICE is the Ed uni unix system, so yeah I've access to unix machines.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 16:38   #16
MisterZ

MisterZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, you can ssh to external systems, and as far as I know its not prohibited.
MisterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 16:51   #17
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
And MT: DICE is the Ed uni unix system, so yeah I've access to unix machines.
ssh -D 3128 [email protected]

Point your SOCKS aware application at localhost:3128 and be wonderous. Should work for winmx iirc.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 17:31   #18
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterZ
Yeah, you can ssh to external systems, and as far as I know its not prohibited.
Well its working out nicely, I'll let you know if anything 'untoward' happens. =)
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 17:20   #19
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
The University of Salford simply decided to abandon access for student halls, such was the level of abuse. I kinda agree with the decision tbh, as there's 24hr access on campus anyway.

But that's besides the point...

M.
Heh your close friends the Uni of Manc provide 100% unrestricted access. You can even rent rack space now in the uni building.

Though I did get sent a letter for share scanning the Class B we are on (nothing came of it).