User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 12 Jan 2003, 20:35   #1
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
Networking Windows

This is really simple and I should be able to fix it myself but I cant..

anyway the problem is that no matter what I try I cant get this network between 2 XP machines working. 1 is in my room with the NIC address set to 192.168.0.1 and the other is in another room with an IP address of 192.168.0.2. I can ping the other computer from this 1 easy enough but I cant ping this computer from the other 1, I have no idea why. I disabled all firewalls so its not that, I checked the connections and there fine (I wouldnt have been able to ping the other computer from this 1 anyway if it wasnt working) I even when so low as to try..the windows XP wizard! which 'suprisingly' didnt work. I wasnt able to see any computers when I had it networked in the past with xp and 98 so thats no problem, I just want the internet sharing working but till the network is set up that wont happen. The online tutorials for this suck also and just tell you to do things I've already tried. Anyway I'm guessing some of you know alot about networking so help plz!

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 20:57   #2
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Chances are you have straight through and not crossover cable if you are doing it pc <> pc.
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 21:11   #3
sh@dow

its straight through but there connected to a hub (I had it working with 98 and XP before upgrading the comps), I actually know alot about networking which makes this really annoying.

- Q
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 21:28   #4
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
You sure you have disabled all firewalls?
I saw exactly the same behaviour after installing some anti-virus software - it had a built-in firewall that I had to disable.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 21:56   #5
sh@dow

yes absolutly, my motherboard came with pc-cillin software which has a firewall which is disabled, the xp firewalls for all cards are also disabled and theres no other firewalls

- Q
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 22:32   #6
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Have you tried to ping localhost(127.0.0.1) to check if there's problem with tcp/ip on your machine?
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 00:08   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Try setting it to auto and at least see if that works first.
If it does, then you're configuring something wrong.

Unread 13 Jan 2003, 00:24   #8
sh@dow

lol yes tried that too, tried setting both with auto, other 1 just with auto, this 1 just with auto. I tried the loopback IP it works. Any other suggestions then? It seems networking 2 xp comps has us all stumped

- Q

Last edited by sh@dow; 13 Jan 2003 at 02:28.
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 02:54   #9
Parksy

If you just upgraded, then check and see if you have the IPX/SPX/NetBEUI protocols installed (they all install together). WinXP won't network without properly them (in my experience, anyway).
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 03:02   #10
sh@dow

mm ok I'll give it a try 1st thing in the morning..I dont see why installing other protocols would affect a tcp/ip network though

- Q
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 16:13   #11
sh@dow

well I dunno if installing those protocols did anything or not, but I hadnt checked My Network Places in a while and when I look there I could see a shared folder thats on my comp from the other 1. I still cant ping this 1 from it though or access the internet, I'd guess firewall but I'm 90% sure I've disabled all firewalls unless theres 1 running without my knowledge but I cant see any. Anything I can try?

- Q
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 02:10   #12
sh@dow

ok I finally found out what the problem was! it seems even though pc-cillen wasnt running its firewall was somehow still in effect (not even showing up in processes mind you) anyway basically it was cause of a firewall all along and now I feel a fool!

- Q
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 02:17   #13
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Parksy
If you just upgraded, then check and see if you have the IPX/SPX/NetBEUI protocols installed (they all install together). WinXP won't network without properly them (in my experience, anyway).
I've had exactly the opposite experience. On computers were it doesn't work, removing these protocols often makes it work. It might just be that when you add/remove protocols windows does some additional checking of the other protocols and fixes some common error or something, you never know how microsoft thinks "hmm, people will often reinstall protocols when things don't work, so we'll put the code to check for known bugs there!"
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 02:21   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by sh@dow
ok I finally found out what the problem was! it seems even though pc-cillen wasnt running its firewall was somehow still in effect (not even showing up in processes mind you) anyway basically it was cause of a firewall all along and now I feel a fool!
Some firewalls insert themselves into the TCP/IP driver so that if you disable the firewall you can't use the network. This is for security.

Unread 14 Jan 2003, 08:43   #15
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Parksy
Erm, just no.

IPX/SPX is a dated protocol that no-one bar Novell users and Red Alert players should have installed.

NetBEUI/NetBIOS is not installable as a standalone protocol under XP. Its only enabled over TCP/IP under advanced properties. (You can install it to be used over an NWLink protocol, but NWLink is jus M$'s implementation of IPX/SPX.. see previous point).
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 20:11   #16
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
RR pwned you!

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2003, 00:20   #17
Parksy

Quote:
Originally posted by Raging.Retard
Erm, just no.

IPX/SPX is a dated protocol that no-one bar Novell users and Red Alert players should have installed.

NetBEUI/NetBIOS is not installable as a standalone protocol under XP. Its only enabled over TCP/IP under advanced properties. (You can install it to be used over an NWLink protocol, but NWLink is jus M$'s implementation of IPX/SPX.. see previous point).
So maybe it's not the protocols that are needed, but it's still true that the network with my WinXP machines started working properly after I installed that bunch of protocols (which are NWLink protocols, now that I look at them). I don't know why it worked (it could easily be something like W posted), but it's what worked for me and could help another person with the same problems.