User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Dec 2002, 16:16   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
I want one of these....

The VIA eden platform.
Aren't they cute? Only 17*17 cm (about 6.5*6.5 inches).
Great for building an MP3 player for in your car or for showing off at a LAN.

I think I can fit one of these in my old Nintendo NES housing.
Just have to see where I leave the harddisk tho

[EDIT]
oooo, completely forgot to mention the setup:

Onboard:
* 933mhz C3-E processor
* AGP 8x-graphics
* S-video & Composite out
* 10/100mbit ethernet
* 6 * USB 2.0
* firewire
* 133mhz FSB
* 1 memory slot (1gb max, PC2100 DDR)
* 1 PCI slot
* 2 IDE connections
* 1 Floppy connection

*drool*
[/EDIT]

Last edited by Structural Integrity; 8 Dec 2002 at 16:36.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 14:47   #2
Monolithix

i was reading up on that last nite, try looking around at http://www.mini-itx.com/, i told my flatmate about it and he wants to build one with a 4" tft built in so he can watch divx's on the go heh

i think i also took a pic of one at i14, i'll check and upload later if it is
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 17:45   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Well, I read some more on the Mini-ITX and I read that the Cyrix processor on that board has the equivalent processor power of a Pentium2 300mhz.
So far for showing off at a LAN, but it's still great for DiVx and MP3 playback (300mhz is just enough for DivX).
I definately want one. That solves my "mom and dad wanting to watch my DIVX downstairs"-problem too . And in the meanwhile I can use it as a router (using the single PCI slot for another network card).
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 18:15   #4
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Well, I read some more on the Mini-ITX and I read that the Cyrix processor on that board has the equivalent processor power of a Pentium2 300mhz.
So far for showing off at a LAN, but it's still great for DiVx and MP3 playback (300mhz is just enough for DivX). :)
I definately want one. That solves my "mom and dad wanting to watch my DIVX downstairs"-problem too :D. And in the meanwhile I can use it as a router (using the single PCI slot for another network card).
er

what a load of ********. Its roughly equivalent to a K6-3 running at about 500 MHz, which in turn is faster than a P-III 500.

I've been planning to build one as a hifi seperates mp3 player, plush case etc, remote control, lcd screen and so on, running some sort of nix variant, since they announced them. I would probably use the 500 MHz variant, as it is completely fanless. For power you can use an out of box converter to take it to 12V, and then an in box widget (fanless) to get all the extra voltages needed.

You can also plug CompactFlash directly into the IDE sockets, and boot off it for immediate OS's :D

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote