User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Nov 2002, 19:21   #1
MrPubes
Lieutnant Commander

MrPubes can only hope to improve
IrC-Client for Linux/Unix?

finally i realised that ms products are only good for gaming and i switched to Linux for my "normal" pc life.

i installed suse linux 8.0, because it has a nice and really easy to use management tool, Yast.
so it fits perfectly for a semi-n00b like me, xfree86, all peripherie, kdm3, and everything else is configured automatically, not much to do, although i already collected some experience in Linux with my Router.
I think i am going to switch so a "real" linux like debian or slackware in some time, but i want to familyrise myself with Linux/Unix first, and suse is perfect for that.
Everything works fine and smooth, i configured my soundcard, can listen to mp3s now, collect my mail, ect ect.
but now i need a good alternative for the brilliant little programm called MirC.
i need aliases, an auto-perform, multiple servers to connect to, just everything the normal pa player needs (you yourself know best ;-)).
any hints?
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 19:28   #2
laney
Queen of England

laney has a spectacular aura aboutlaney has a spectacular aura aboutlaney has a spectacular aura about
xchat
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 20:06   #3
MrPubes
Lieutnant Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by iainlane
xchat
thnx!
screenies look good, but i need tarballs since there aren't rpms for my distribution :-/
i exctracted the archiv, but when i tried to run the configure-script before compiling it i get following error:

till@till:~/Documents/xchat-1.8.10> ./configure
loading cache ./config.cache
checking for non-GNU ld... no
configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH

any idea what this means?
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 20:09   #4
MrPubes
Lieutnant Commander

mkay, already solved that.....
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 21:03   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
The only thing that keeps me from swithing to Linux is the fear for having to upgrade/config a whole lot of things periodically and the fact that I believe you have to "know" Linux to use it right. The steep learning curve is a BIG setback.
Also, I find Windows a bit more user friendly when it comes to installing apps and driver support, altho you sacrifice configurability with that.
I've had a bit of Linux experience at school (Redhat 6 or 7, server thingies) for a short Linux course into setting up a Linux box (making accounts, permissions, some network stuff) and we used the NetScape browser under WinNT because it didn't create "temporary Inet files", which cluttered the machines (we switched to IE tho ).

I experienced Linux then as an OS that requires a lot of knowledge to use it properly. I don't want to learn using a whole new OS, compilers and systems, mainly because I have other interrests ATM.
Also is netScape the biggest piece of cow dung I've EVER seen. Unforgiving for badly designed sites, slow as thick shiet through a funnel (that was freely translated from Dutch) and unstable as hell. Ofcourse, there are alternatives .

As for the good part of Linux, is the great configurability (if you know where to look), the incredible stability (Of the console that is... the desktop of Redhat (we used KDE) crashed regulary) and the sleak looking and highly configurable desktops that actually DID WHAT YOU WANTED.

As long as I want to make Windows apps to address a larger number of users, and I don't feel like putting a lot of time into learning to use a new OS/apps/compilers, and Windows can do the things I want, I won't switch to Linux. Altho I'm SURE that at some point I will start using Linux at home....

[/mytwocents]
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 21:06   #6
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IrC-Client for Linux/Unix?

I recommend irssi if you're not afraid of getting your hands dirty for lack of good documentation and chatting from console doesn't scare you.

Jester
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 21:20   #7
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.sus...7-117.i386.rpm ?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 00:09   #8
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
As for the good part of Linux, is the great configurability (if you know where to look), the incredible stability (Of the console that is... the desktop of Redhat (we used KDE) crashed regulary) and the sleak looking and highly configurable desktops that actually DID WHAT YOU WANTED.
If we ran a decent proxy at work under linux I might still have a fleet, rather than that heap of **** Microsoft server that died on me killing the proxy 3 minutes before I was due to recall my fleet

A few seconds is all it takes
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 13:32   #9
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Re: IrC-Client for Linux/Unix?

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPubes
finally i realised that ms products are only good for gaming and i switched to Linux for my "normal" pc life
Windows is also much better in terms of supported applications. As a web developer, I simply couldn't use Linux: I need Photoshop, Flash and Dreamweaver MX. GIMP is good, but not up to PS7 standards. (Obviously I'm ignoring the cost aspect here).

Of course, as soon as it is ready, it goes on a Linux box!

Don't get me wrong, I love Linux (I've got various Ximian t-shirts/toys/etc) I'm good friends with various Gnome people in RL.

Oh anyway, I like BitchX on Linux, even if it is text-based.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 17:25   #10
MrPubes
Lieutnant Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by iainlane
xchat

after i finally was able to launch it i refuse to see the aliases and the auto perform ;-)
care to explain that to me?
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 17:32   #11
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
The harder it is to install, the easier it is to maintain. For my gentoo, to keep it upto date, its simply `emerge sync && emerge -u world` once a day*. Thats it, downloads, compiles and inistalls the latest versions of software I have installed.

* Of course, you shouldnt really do that :) Like all things, you should check what you are installing before you install it, checking the security announcements etc :)

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 19:11   #12
Epcylon

Epcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPubes

after i finally was able to launch it i refuse to see the aliases and the auto perform ;-)
care to explain that to me?
XChat is in some ways exactly what you want, and in others not really up for it...

You can do anything with xchat... but unless someone else has done it before you, chances are you'll have to write a script to do it.

Check the scripts section at http://xchat.org and see if any of those scripts sounds like what you need.

There is a "perform" possibility, but it only accepts 1 command. Same with aliases.

To solve that, there's a script I use that's called startup which really is just a simple script that reads a list of commands from a file and executes them.
[R12]: HR free-pe0n | [R13-]: HR pe0n
Epcylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 19:14   #13
Epcylon

Epcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
The harder it is to install, the easier it is to maintain. For my gentoo, to keep it upto date, its simply `emerge sync && emerge -u world` once a day*. Thats it, downloads, compiles and inistalls the latest versions of software I have installed.

* Of course, you shouldnt really do that Like all things, you should check what you are installing before you install it, checking the security announcements etc
Urke! Timing is everything, even for side comments like this...

My brand spanking new gentoo install is botched somewhere... so I can't experience the ease I was hoping for... The comp just simply reboots after grub is done... haven't gotten around to trying to figure out what's up yet... any ideas btw?
[R12]: HR free-pe0n | [R13-]: HR pe0n
Epcylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 22:46   #14
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: IrC-Client for Linux/Unix?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong

Don't get me wrong, I love Linux (I've got various Ximian t-shirts/toys/etc) I'm good friends with various Gnome people in RL.
NAME DROPPER!!!

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 00:08   #15
Mong
Forever Delayed

Re: Re: Re: IrC-Client for Linux/Unix?

Quote:
Originally posted by Slidey
NAME DROPPER!!!
I've seen one of the lead developers naked. By accident. Geek-flesh is unappealing, especially if it's a bloke

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 00:28   #16
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

not if its jeekay tho.

Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:11   #17
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
not if its jeekay tho.
Jeekay wasn't a lead Gnome developer last time I checked...

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:32   #18
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

He does have geek flesh tho.

Unread 3 Dec 2002, 23:27   #19
hackinnen^

irssi

You can fix yourself a nice little config, with autoconnect and multiserving. Manual is a bit shabby, but who cares?

Beats BitchX anyday!
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 02:06   #20
Jorinn
Toyboy

Jorinn has a spectacular aura aboutJorinn has a spectacular aura about
Try KVirc - www.kvirc.org it think
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 04:06   #21
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
It would take you maybe five seconds to check that link.
KVIrc
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 12:00   #22
Guran
Puppet Master

Guran will become famous soon enoughGuran will become famous soon enough
irssi - http://www.irssi.org/