User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Jul 2003, 11:28   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Now here's an odd firewall entry...

I picked up a couple of these the other day...

Code:
Time     Chain Dev  Proto Source           Src Port         Destination      Dst Port
12:12:02 input eth0 UDP   169.254.158.219  137(NETBIOS-NS)  169.254.255.255  137(NETBIOS-NS)
And I was wondering - how have I (on NTL in the UK) recieved packets broadcast to that IP range?
I can't understand how I can receive a packet which isn't even addressed for the same IP range as me...

Unread 9 Jul 2003, 11:56   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Big Brother is watching you.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 12:48   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
router glitch? Or NTL uses hubs in your vicinity?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 13:08   #4
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
what's your IP?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:52   #5
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point

MS Windows machines that dont receive an IP from a DHCP server, yet are set up to obtain IP address automatically, use 169.254.0.0 range.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 16:47   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
unrelated but some cheeky bugger actually managed to send spam via the windows messenging service directly to my IP address, still trying to figure that one out.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 17:11   #7
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by djbass
unrelated but some cheeky bugger actually managed to send spam via the windows messenging service directly to my IP address, still trying to figure that one out.

=[DJ Bass]=
Do you have a firewall blocking net send broadcasts. If not, turn off the messenger service. I was plagued by these myself. It is a flaw with the service but unless you actually want to be notified that "Person X has printed to Printer Y" I dont see the point of having the service running.

It is fairly easy to script a net send broadcast to every machine that faces the interweb.

Megla - it is indeed what MT said, but it might be a machine on the NTL network somewhere - looks like its just doing an ICMP echo request or something equally as harmless.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2003, 00:51   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Yep - with what MT said in conjunction with similar replies from a mailing list I also asked, it seems that a machine on my internal network was messing about.
Was probably an artifact from when I was trying to get those wireless cards to work.

Oh well, that's that solved.