User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Jun 2003, 14:06   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
I want a cool case

I think my PC might be having cooling problems.

The other day when it was hot I took my PC over to a mate's house and it kept crashing. Once I took the case door off and put a 14 inch fan next to it it stopped crashing.
Also I recently upgraded my video card and it has crashed a couple of times while playing Jedi Knight II. I think the extra heat might be having an effect on it.

Anyway, I think all my problems will be solved if I buy a new case with lots of fans and things. Upgrading my processor fan might help too. At the moment I just have a standard heatsink and fan that came with my processor.

Any idea where I can get this cooling stuff and would you recommend anything specific? Links would be good.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 17:09   #2
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
clear out dust as well. recently i cleaned some of the dust from the fans and the heatsink

the temp has dropped 15 degrees C
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 17:35   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
A can of compressed air ("dust-off", etc) = the winner for getting dust out of hard to reach places. Then you can just shove a hoover nozzle in and wave it about a bit.

As for cases, any high end midi or low end server case will have ample space for fans.
I quite like chieftec. Why not look at thier product list and see if anything looks nice to you. I have the blue one of these. The "chassis" temp (which is what matters for cases, the cpu temp is more up to the cooler) is running at 29C right now. Given that it's 26C outside and bloody humid, that's not bad at all.
In there are 4 low speed Papst silent fans (one in a harddrive bay, one on the side panel, 2 at the rear) and a dual fan PSU.

Incidentally, just because you have lots of fans, that doesn't mean it's going to be noisey. You can't even hear mine over the quiet bits in DVDs when i've turned the fans down (the slight whir from the DVD drive is actually louder than any other noise being made).
The Papst fans are controlled by a rheobus at the front of the case, and the PSU fans are thermally controlled (they run around 1550rpm at the temps i get).

Unread 17 Jun 2003, 06:16   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You can't go wrong with Lian Li cases.

I think they sell them at Scan and even Maplins these days.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 09:46   #5
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
*sigh*

Thermaltake are teh win.

http://www.scan.co.uk

Silver Aluminium :
http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=57353

Funky Blue :
http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=60321

Cooling System
80x80x25mm Silent Fan
• Front x 2 w/ air filter
• Rear x 2 w/ fan holder
• Side x 2 w/ air filter
• Top x 1 w/ fan holder
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 10:21   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim
Thermaltake are teh win.
Too bad the cases are so ugly
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 11:10   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Too bad the cases are so ugly
and expensive.

and ugly.

Wait... you just said that.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 11:23   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

my case is pretty

you whores.

and unlike the ****e chieftec cases all parts of it have been reinforced

OH YES.....no more plastic opening door for me...OH NO... I HAVE A SOLID ALUMINIUM ONE. THAT ACTUALLY FEELS WEIGHTY.

in tests they had fat people sit on them and stand on them and they didnt buckle.

AND unlike most other aluminium cases its been 'painted' with an aluminium outer coat so that if you put your finger on it it wont leave a horrible print...
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 12:38   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Quote:
my case is pretty ugly
You have seen the light Mr. JJ
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:39   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Oi - I've used my case to stand on when putting up posters etc. It's sturdy enough.

This may be because it's solid steel and has a noticable gravitational field around it, but what the hell...
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 02:21   #11
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quite frankly anyone who uses their PC as a footstool deserves to take it home in bits.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 12:16   #12
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Well, I've been having a look around and while all the ones I've seen have merits the ThermalTake is the one that really means business.

I was put off at first by JammyJim's links because those cases were just so damned ugly, but this one looks quite nice. I think I'll go for it.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the power supply, if it comes supplied or not. If it doesn't is that a hard thing to install? I don't want to fry myself or anything.

EDIT: Now that I actually open my eyes I see that indeed it does not come with a PSU. So question stands, is it a hard thing to install?
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 12:31   #13
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
Well, I've been having a look around and while all the ones I've seen have merits the ThermalTake is the one that really means business.

I was put off at first by JammyJim's links because those cases were just so damned ugly, but this one looks quite nice. I think I'll go for it.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the power supply, if it comes supplied or not. If it doesn't is that a hard thing to install? I don't want to fry myself or anything.

EDIT: Now that I actually open my eyes I see that indeed it does not come with a PSU. So question stands, is it a hard thing to install?
No, you'd have to try pretty hard to fry yourself. But look at the sticky thread for the advice on which PSU to choose for your system.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 13:06   #14
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally posted by Supernova9
No, you'd have to try pretty hard to fry yourself. But look at the sticky thread for the advice on which PSU to choose for your system.
Choosing the PSU isn't a problem, I'll just go with the highest wattage PSU that is recommended for that case, shouldn't go wrong then.

If installing it isn't a problem I'll be set then. Hopefully the PSU will come with instructions or something.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 13:31   #15
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
Choosing the PSU isn't a problem, I'll just go with the highest wattage PSU that is recommended for that case, shouldn't go wrong then.
That's why I recommended to read the sticky thread on this forum about PSUs, it's not as simple as that when choosing a PSU.

Please, take my advice and read it. There's a reason the thread was made a sticky. It's because it's useful.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 14:35   #16
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Installing a PSU is a matter of scrweing 3 or 4 screws through the back of the case into the holes in the unit - it's easier than installing a PCI card.

Unread 18 Jun 2003, 23:44   #17
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Installing a PSU is a matter of scrweing 3 or 4 screws through the back of the case into the holes in the unit - it's easier than installing a PCI card.

Installing PCI cards sucks

First you need to wrench out some other PCI card without either ripping off the PCI slot or breaking the card in half. Then you have to jam your new PCI card into a slot without breaking the mobo in two pieces. And finally, you somehow always end up missing a screw
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 00:31   #18
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

There's only one screw to start with.
How hard can it be to keep track of it, eh?

Unread 19 Jun 2003, 16:18   #19
JammyJim
Godfather

ok.......
basically for the thermaltake cases the psu literally slots into a bay at the back. it cannot be any easier or simplistic.

if you gave me 2 days with a monkey im sure he would be able to perform the same procedure.

The hard drive 'box' also detaches which means you can screw the hard drives in without having to bend your arms and hands backwards round other components.

i have yet to find a case with an easier system for slotting in CD drives. you literally attach brackets to either side of the drive and then slot it in through the front. it locks into place.

most chieftec cases have same design i believe. Also thermaltake cases come with 'silent purepower' fans which are rather ace and move a lot of air with relatively low amounts of noise.
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 16:51   #20
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
if you gave me 2 days with a monkey
If we gave you two days with a monkey, we'd all be locked up for animal abuse.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 17:38   #21
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

He's had more than 2 days with leshy - does that count?

Also yes, Chieftec cases have the CD drive rails and detachable harddrive bits, but mine doesn't have a PSU slot brackety thing - just the standard screws.
Dunno if any of the higher end ones do or not.
I got a TT Silent Purepower one for mine - they are nice aren't they...

Unread 23 Jun 2003, 11:45   #22
Popeye

Popeye is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?NOV-CFBCNL
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/S...-novcfbcnl.jpg

is the case I just ordered. Its only £45 inc vat, which makes it a much nicer purchase than some ****ty > £100 thing. It also comes with 2 fans, a 'window' and a neon light, and its black. Plus Novatech do a 30 day 'return it if you like' thing, so if the insides are a mess to work with ill take it back with my tail between my legs just like the cheap dog that i am.

It looks fine to me so far however. It even comes with black cover things for cdroms/floppies so they match the case!
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote