User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 May 2003, 20:39   #1
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Pen Drives

Such as this.

Anyone got any experience with them? They seem rather spiffing, but I can't for the life of me figure out the huge price differential between for instance that product and similar devices made by the likes of Belkin et al.

Also, if you have got some experience with them, what're the options like for using them as a token for pc security? I don't need the extra security at all, just seemed a pretty neat idea...
Unread 15 May 2003, 21:17   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
They are utterly fab, imho.

My flatmate bought one recently, so I copied him by getting one. It rocks as a floppy replacement (ideal for taking files to work, etc). However, it's only natively supported under WinME/2K/XP.

I don't know if there's much difference. With the one I got "Mobile Disk" I got a CD with some security utils/drivers, but I've never used it tbh.

Incidentally, I recently purchased a small MP3 player (the Creative MuVo one, not bad) which doubles as a Pen Drive, although is even smaller.

I've no idea as to the differences in price though. I wouldn't, however, trust much data on these things in the long term. They seem a little too flimsy.

The one in the link you posted seems a fair bargain - mine was about 70 quid I think for 128MB. The MP3 player was £100 roughly, again, for 128MB.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2003, 21:23   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
There's a very flimsy looking one on Ebuyer that's 128meg but more of a 'card' than a pen, fits inside a credit-card sized holder for a bit more protection if you want, about £30.

But that too seemed very, very flimsy...
Unread 15 May 2003, 23:31   #4
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
ebuyer have a 32meg pen for under £10 i think.
Unread 15 May 2003, 23:48   #5
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont they all just use USB Mass Storage Device driver?

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 08:49   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
Dont they all just use USB Mass Storage Device driver?
Yes, to my knowledge.

Although, BIOS permitting, you can boot off them too. How cool is that?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 10:22   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Just ordered a Sony MicroVault for about £60, a 128meg USB 2.0 version so 'rather rapid' one hopes. Comes with token security system type thing too, and looks a bit 'smoother' than the cheap one.

Expected Wednesday \o/
Unread 17 May 2003, 20:41   #8
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
I bought my brother a Pen Drive for his birthday last year, he loves it.

I want one, although I haven't got round to buying one yet.
Unread 18 May 2003, 12:22   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I have one.
It isn't much use at uni as I have access to my network drive both here in my room and anywhere at all on campus.

However, next year is a different story, and it comes in handy at my parent's.

Unread 19 May 2003, 15:23   #10
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

virogenesis is infamous around these partsvirogenesis is infamous around these parts
get a compact flash reader\writer then just get cards as it will work out cheaper plus you can use the media for ur digital cam or mp3 player if you have one
That is what i am gonna do
virogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2003, 15:46   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

That means I have to carry round a CF reader with me as well as the cards though, doesn't it?

This defies the portability point =/
Unread 19 May 2003, 16:00   #12
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

virogenesis is infamous around these partsvirogenesis is infamous around these parts
but they are small enough to carry around anyway
virogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2003, 16:15   #13
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Pen Drive:

I carry something no bigger than my current key-ring. I don't have to remember to take anything other than the media.

Card Reader:

I carry something significantly bigger than my pen drive, (I've got one back at home), incorporating the wires I need to hook it up to the pc, and the flash cards. I have to remember to take the reader, cables and media with me if I want to use it. If I forget the reader, I'm boned.

Convenience is key.

Last edited by pablissimo; 19 May 2003 at 17:00.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2003, 09:22   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Well it arrived today.

And it's rather friggin' shiny I must say. Shame I need to install XP SP1 to get USB2.0 functionality out of this Shuttle XPC so I'm stuck with 1.1 transfer speeds.

Still rather spiffy. The PCLock software that comes with it is woefully inadequate, you can ctrl-alt-delete/task manager/end process round it, and the auto encryption and auto zip software is only compatible with ME, 2000 and XP, but as I won't be using those it doens't really matter.

Go go gadget buying things \o/
Unread 20 May 2003, 15:14   #15
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by idimmu
AND ITS NATIVELY SUPPORTED UNDER LINUX
Only past a certain kernel revision.
Unread 20 May 2003, 18:13   #16
TheCoop
The Linux Guy

TheCoop is an unknown quantity at this point
so? who runs 2.2.x kernels anyway?

keydrives are used on desktop systems, which usually have a fairly recent kernel version unless you havent upgraded in 6 months or something

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

GPG Key: http://thecoop.dyndns.org/pub_key.asc.gpg
TheCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2003, 18:17   #17
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCoop
so? who runs 2.2.x kernels anyway?

keydrives are used on desktop systems, which usually have a fairly recent kernel version unless you havent upgraded in 6 months or something
Pointing it out. It's pertinent.