User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 4 Mar 2003, 16:29   #101
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
4. A social misfit arrives in town with the intention of finding his roots. Whilst there he rids the place of the tyrinnical dictator and steals g/f, all with the aid of his bizarre eating habits.

It seems this one is causing some trouble.
The answer is:

Popeye
(Starring Robin Williams)
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 17:58   #102
Kegluneq

Kegluneq is an unknown quantity at this point
10 = Grosse Pointe Blank (I think)
Kegluneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 20:53   #103
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kegluneq
10 = Grosse Pointe Blank (I think)
BINGO!

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 23:43   #104
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

We went through them in #linux, so heres the full list ..

Quote:
1.) This girls dad gets killed by a woman in comfortable shoes. This other older woman takes her away and teaches her how to kill people. She keeps beign pestered by a cop who recognises her. Eventually theres lots of wearing of comfortable shoes.

The key here is knowing the line from "Good Morning Vietnam" "We cant even call them dykes, its women in comfortable shoes". The film is, of course, Naked Killers, the most famous category 3 film to come out of hong Kong

2.) These two irish bar stewards run around shooting people for the hell of it. Someone hires this old guy (who does the lottery now) to come kill them. He changes his mind and helps them shoot their way out of a courtroom.

Boondock Saints. The old guy who now does the lottery is Billy Connolly

3.) Girl with big butt helps two cops nick a load of money from the underground.

Straight forward. Money Train.

4.) Clueless hick goes to big city, sleeps with lots of women and gets hustled by the graduate. Neither gets an award :/

'The Graduate' is Dustin Hoffman (from the film of the same name. 'Neither gets an award' == both Hoffman and Voight were up for Best Actor oscar against each other. The film is the only 'adult' film to win Best Film at the Oscar's.Midnight cowboy

5.) Shy guy's brother, who is the guy who killed jaws, gets killed by evil kraut who likes carbon based trophies. Shy boy pulls amazing looking girl, only to find out she works for nasty nazi. Shy boy does a lot of running.

The guy who killed Jaws is Roy Schneider. I was expecting either people to know the film, or look through Schneider's filmography for films with 'running' mentioned. The Marathon Man

6.) drunk blues brother persuades 'pledge' to shoot a horse in chancellors office.

Expected people to get this one easy tbh. National Lampoons Animal House

7.) Sober blues brother persuades family to go on holiday with his brother, much hilarity ensues.

This one, I didnt give enough info. 'Sober blues brother' is Dan Akroyd tho, and from filmography, you could have got The Great Outdoors

8.) Rodent disrupts young mans dream of life, love and links.

One of my favourite films of all time, the clue is that 'links' is another word for golf course, the film being of course Caddyshack

9.) young lawyer (potentially good at maths) represents sick working class scum against big insurance company. Assisted by the guy who wanted to throw his mother from the locomotive.

Straight forward. The Rainmaker

10. idealistic young assasin has late 20's crisis when he returns home to find his old bint still working there. Kills a midget with a pen and finds out he's been hired to kill his ex's dad. Changes his mind and saves them, killing a fat (but still alive) blues brother in the process. Goes off to write lists of records.

Also straight forward. The (big) clue of course is the reference to 'lists' (and hence High Fidelity => John Cusack). Grosse Pointe Blank

Unread 5 Mar 2003, 00:05   #105
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
hmm...I thought i'd be annoyed with myself when you gave the answers...but no. I've never seen any of the films you used, and haven't even heard of many of them
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 00:32   #106
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

Quote:
Birthday July 31, 1984
Being as you are 17, I forgive you, as 70% of the films you arent allowed to see ;p

The rest is called 'culture'.

Unread 5 Mar 2003, 00:41   #107
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
<cough>18</cough>
But whatever. And I always thought I had reasonably good film knowledge
Thinking about it...I may have seen all or part of money train, though every time I think about it, it blurs with Metro..so i dunno.
I'm still proud of getting one without even knowing it was a film, now that's culture for you
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 00:48   #108
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Hey MT, you suck at the maths.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 02:41   #109
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Hey MT, you suck at the maths.
I'm delusional. This time last year I barely knew you, so that is my happy place to go to.

Unread 5 Mar 2003, 02:51   #110
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Question

Have you told your psychiatrist this?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 11:27   #111
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Right, who wants more??
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 12:11   #112
Kegluneq

Kegluneq is an unknown quantity at this point
Me!
Kegluneq is offline   Reply With Quote