User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Feb 2003, 17:31   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Switches

Ok, as I've said before, networking isn't my strong point, so:

I've been looking into the kit needed to network 8 computers to a PC which has cable comming into it. Assume that I have the software needed to turn the PC into a router (because I do). Cable will come into one NIC on the PC, and the connection to all the other PCs will be via a second NIC.
I've only looked at hubs so far. With all the hubs I've seen, the "uplink" socket (ie. the one that would be connected to the router) just involves turning (on an 8 port hub) the 8th port into an uplink port, so what i'm in fact left with is a 7 port hub.

Now I started looking at switches.
It seems that some switches have a dedicated uplink port built in, for example this one.
Is that standard, or is it some kind of cheap 'graft on' job that's going to perform like crap?
It also waffles on about plug 'n play for that switch - the problem being that the PC acting as a router is going to be running a linux distro. I had assumed these things just worked out of the box - am I wrong?

Please excuse my lack of expertise here...

Unread 2 Feb 2003, 18:21   #2
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Youll find that the switch you have pictured as well as most other switches has a shared uplink port. That is you can use port1 or the uplink, but not both at the same time. Thats hardly a problem mind, all an Uplink port is (on home switches at least) is a standard port with the pins inverted (as if you used a crossover).
Unread 2 Feb 2003, 18:43   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Ah well you see i'd hoped that you could use all 8 ports AND the uplink at the same time, since there will be 8 computers requiring the connection.
Looks like I'm back to my 8 port hub + 4 port hub idea, in order to get them all connected.

Unread 2 Feb 2003, 18:52   #4
TheShadow

TheShadow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Ah well you see i'd hoped that you could use all 8 ports AND the uplink at the same time, since there will be 8 computers requiring the connection.
Looks like I'm back to my 8 port hub + 4 port hub idea, in order to get them all connected.

Why not a 16 ports switch?
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2003, 19:16   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

price it.

Unread 2 Feb 2003, 23:07   #6
Atamur
Ngisne

Atamur is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
When they say "8-port switch/hub", they count the maximum number of connections going into it. So you will never be able to connect an 8-port switch to 9 devices (uplink connection to another switch counts).

If you expect to have a lot of traffic going over that network (file server? printer server?), you may want to opt for a switch instead of a hub if budget permits.
Unread 2 Feb 2003, 23:12   #7
TheShadow

TheShadow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
price it.

Less than what I had to pay for my 8 ports switch two years ago
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2003, 00:44   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Well, a 16 port hub is significantly more than an 8 port and a 4 port, even when you include the cost of the extra cabling.

Unread 3 Feb 2003, 00:45   #9
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
two five port switches
belkin
£45
hf

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2003, 00:59   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

/me goes off to investigate...
[edit]
Oh look, odd 'futuristic' styling too...
I take it I don't need to use it's SOHO software?

Unread 3 Feb 2003, 13:41   #11
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
course not, just plug it in.

I quite bricked myself when I read some of the docu "Set up your computers to get IP addresses from the switch" (no thanks, I spent quite a long time setting up my own dhcp server ty, I'd quite like to use it :)

www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/ have a 16 port switch for £40 ..

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote