User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Dec 2002, 08:43   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
C/C++: fastest array copy

What is the fastest way to copy an array in C/C++?
I have to copy an 2D array of an unknown size (second dimension is known) to another 2D array.
I'm looking for the fastest possible copy.

BTW, how would I write a copy constructor in C++? Is it simply overriding the '=' operator?

TY
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 10:20   #2
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: C/C++: fastest array copy

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
What is the fastest way to copy an array in C/C++?
I have to copy an 2D array of an unknown size (second dimension is known) to another 2D array.
I'm looking for the fastest possible copy.
I guess you are saying the size is not known at compile time, as you will need to know it at runtime to know when to stop copying data...
A simple memcpy() should suffice.
There might be compiler pragmas that affect how much bounds checking the runtime code does - but the added overhead would have negligible impact for larger copy statements.

Quote:
BTW, how would I write a copy constructor in C++? Is it simply overriding the '=' operator?
Yes, you just overload the operator=() method for the class.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 18:41   #3
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
im not the worlds greatest c programmer but would something along these lines work ..

Code:
int **my2darray;
int **myotherarray;
my2darray = malloc(...);

myotherarray = malloc(sizeof(my2darray));
memcpy(myotherarray,my2darray,sizeof(my2darray));
?

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 18:49   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
can "malloc" be replace with "new"? (while keeping the same speed)

ATM I have this:

vertexA = new float[numvertices][3];
memcpy(vertexA, obj->vertexA, SizeOf(float[3])*numvertices);
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 19:47   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Not knowing much about C++ this is purely an educated guess but I'd say almost definitely not as new and delete provide much greater functionality...
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 20:37   #6
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
As the link posted by Gayle28uk says, for built-in types, new and malloc are functionally equivalent, this is because there are no constructors for built-in types.
The assembler the compiler generates for malloc or new for an array of float is likely to be identical (or at least perform equally).

There is a slight difference in free and delete, in that delete is guaranteed to handle a null pointer gracefully, whereas free will probably crash.

I think I would use
Code:
memcpy(vertexA, obj->vertexA, SizeOf(float)*3*numvertices);
even if that is potentially an extra multiplication operation at runtime (depending on how clever the optimizer is).
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 21:05   #7
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I wish you wouldnt say C/C++ when you actually mean C++ :/

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 22:34   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
I wish you wouldnt say C/C++ when you actually mean C++ :/
Oi.... sowwy MT... I won't do it again, it's just that C and C++ are so alike.
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 03:54   #9
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by zenopus

There is a slight difference in free and delete, in that delete is guaranteed to handle a null pointer gracefully, whereas free will probably crash.
No.

Code:
       free()  frees  the  memory  space pointed to by ptr, which
       must have been returned by a previous  call  to  malloc(),
       calloc()  or  realloc().   Otherwise,  or if free(ptr) has
       already been called before,  undefined  behaviour  occurs.
       If ptr is NULL, no operation is performed.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 04:00   #10
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by zenopus

I think I would use
Code:
memcpy(vertexA, obj->vertexA, SizeOf(float)*3*numvertices);
even if that is potentially an extra multiplication operation at runtime (depending on how clever the optimizer is).
Any particular reason? Or just aethetics?

Structural, you've got it. Just remember to use delete [] vertexA instead of delete vertexA.
How is your engine doing?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 08:26   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Any particular reason? Or just aethetics?

Structural, you've got it. Just remember to use delete [] vertexA instead of delete vertexA.
How is your engine doing?
I guess deleting it like that also works that way for 2D arrays? I guess so since any other syntax generates an error. Just want to be sure

From my experience delete causes a runtime error when performed on an already deleted object. Quite nasty since It's hard to trace and even nastier when you have dynamic arrays since the pointer is copied, not the array itself. Simply calling delete in the destructor is a big nono because you remove data for still existing objects. I think it also fails when performed on a null pointer, although I'm not fully sure.
I certainly check for a null pointer before even calling delete.

My engine does quite well... I have a great deal of objects that handle the maths, I have finally defined how data is stored for models and am now working on collision detection at triangle level (the very primitive of a model).
Problem is that the sheer amount of maths is slowing it down a "tad" since I have a lot of catching up to do, I don't want to implement something I don't understand. The funny thing is that I'm slowly developing a fascination for maths now, the very subject I have despised for many years.

Don't expect any fancy things like Doom32 of Quake76 from me in the near future as I'm still learning a lot :smiley1:
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 12:06   #12
Pitchfork
Tourist

Pitchfork is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
im not the worlds greatest c programmer but would something along these lines work ..

Code:
int **my2darray;
int **myotherarray;
my2darray = malloc(...);

myotherarray = malloc(sizeof(my2darray));
memcpy(myotherarray,my2darray,sizeof(my2darray));
?
no, because:

Quote:
The sizeof operator cannot return the size of dynamically allocated arrays or external arrays.
I fear you have to keep track of the original array dimension and do something like:

Code:
	int **MyArray;		// original
	int **MyCopyArray;	// the copy

int d1, d2;		// containing the dimension of the original array
	int nxd1, nxd2;		// counters

// Allocate memory for the array
	MyCopyArray = new int*[d1];
	for (ndx1 = 0; ndx1 < d1; ndx1++) {
		MyCopyArray[ndx1] = new int[d2];
		for (ndx2 = 0; ndx2 < d2; ndx2++)	// Copy the values
			MyCopyArray[ndx1][ndx2] = MyArray[ndx1][ndx2];
	}	// for (ndx1 = 0; ndx1 < d1; ndx1++)

I just though that
Code:
MyCopyArray[ndx1] = memcpy( MyCopyArray[ndx1], MyArray[ndx1], sizeof(int)*d2 );
instead of the second for-loop should do it, too.

Deleting has to be done the following way:
Code:
// Delete the array
      for (ndx1 = 0; ndx1 < d1; ndx1++)
         delete [] MyArray[ndx1];
      delete [] MyArray;
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote